My NSV - running

Options
dewsmom78
dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
I've never been a runner, I used to despise it or make fun of it. On top of that, I was also a smoker, so running wasn't optional. Well, now at 34 years old (and smoke free!) as part of my workout plan, I have decided I just need to get out and do it. I've only been out 3 times so far, but each time I can run farther without stopping to walk and catch my breath. Today, I ran almost a mile without stopping to walk. My heart rate has also adjusted tremendously since the first day.

Tomorrow I am shooting for the full mile. With my ultimate goal of running a 5k in the next few months :happy:

Replies

• caribear1984
    Options
    Awesome, you're doing a great job!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep it up!
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've also caught the running bug!! I used to stand on the curb smoking a cigarette and laughing at the runners...now it's me lol. I too only started a week ago and I'm amazed at how much further I can go each time I'm out. I ran 14mins of my 5km walk yesterday which is up from about 30sec of running the first day lol. MFP is really teaching me to focus on NSV's instead of stupid numbers on the scale. Ok...didn't mean to hijack your thread...congrats and happy running to us both.
  • vickyb123321
    Options
    if you google "NHS couch to 5k" you can upload a 9 week running programme to listen to.It is a fab running programme and one I have done a few times and reccomended to loads of people! It is, best of all, free. Good luck!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!... and welcome to the club :) Now be prepared for future "race bugs" and spending ridiculous amounts of money on cool running gear :)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Watch out. . . running may become your new addiction! Welcome to the club! :-)
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    yay!!!
    Good for you!
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    I too use to be a smoker and a non-runner. Dec 2011 some work acquaintances told me about a Half Marathon they were doing in May of 2012, I thought ... hey ... I can do that! Much the same as you, I started out slow, building up to running farther and farther distances. I quit smoking in January 2012 and this year I'm completing 3 half marathons over 4 weeks, a couple 10ks, a 74 mile relay and a 4 mile extreme obstacle course. It doesn't take long to develop a love and passion for running! Keep up the great work!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yayyy! Go you! I hated running too but have found a love for it. Running my second 5k this weekend!
  • Viveyp21
    Viveyp21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    congrats on being a runner and a non smoker. i just began running as well... i signed up for my first 5k this august
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    I've also caught the running bug!! I used to stand on the curb smoking a cigarette and laughing at the runners...now it's me lol. I too only started a week ago and I'm amazed at how much further I can go each time I'm out. I ran 14mins of my 5km walk yesterday which is up from about 30sec of running the first day lol. MFP is really teaching me to focus on NSV's instead of stupid numbers on the scale. Ok...didn't mean to hijack your thread...congrats and happy running to us both.

Awesome job! I totally agree, the scale is stupid. I am starting to love my NSV's much more.
  • ssb1662
    ssb1662 Posts: 26
    Options
    Congratulations! Great job. You may inspire me to start moving more.
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    I too use to be a smoker and a non-runner. Dec 2011 some work acquaintances told me about a Half Marathon they were doing in May of 2012, I thought ... hey ... I can do that! Much the same as you, I started out slow, building up to running farther and farther distances. I quit smoking in January 2012 and this year I'm completing 3 half marathons over 4 weeks, a couple 10ks, a 74 mile relay and a 4 mile extreme obstacle course. It doesn't take long to develop a love and passion for running! Keep up the great work!

Wow, that is awesome, some major accomplishments for you! Half marathons, 10k's, those frighten the crap out of me right now! But someday....maybe not so much. :smile:
  • msfaithful
    msfaithful Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Watch out. . . running may become your new addiction! Welcome to the club! :-)

^^^ THIS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how awesome your lungs feel after going out for a run when you quit smoking, isn't it?!

I myself am former smoker, turned running addict. I completed my first 5K last month on my birthday, and my second this past weekend taking almost 2 minutes off my finish time! I can't even stand being around smokers now, and for some reason the thought of inhaling their second hand has me thinking it will mess up my running *shrug*.

Anyway, I am currently in the process of upping my mileage and currently run 11 miles a week (pretty impressive considering I HATED running). Keep going, keep putting that foot in front of the other. When someone offers you a smoke (and they will) just remember everything you have accomplished so far, it will help you refuse it.

Outstanding job!
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    if you google "NHS couch to 5k" you can upload a 9 week running programme to listen to.It is a fab running programme and one I have done a few times and reccomended to loads of people! It is, best of all, free. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip! I will check it out!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!