A question concerning heart rate monitors.

Options
Hey there,

I was just wondering. I know heart rate monitors generally require that very uncomfortable-looking strap to be worn under your chest, but is it absolutely necessary if you simply want to take your heart rate? All answers welcome, thanks!

Replies

• Sue3510
    Sue3510 Posts: 6
    Options
    While the strap looks uncomfortable, it isn't. Once it's on it's not particularly noticeable if you don't make it too tight. The HRM with the strap is the most reliable.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The strap should be a soft material and won't dig in unless you over tighten it. I have also heard that HRMs without the chest strap can be far less accurate so definitely worth getting one with a strap.
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I got a wrist one without a strap and hate it. I want a polar for my bday.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I've been using my Polar FT7 for over 2 years now. It has the chest strap, and I have never had a problem with it being uncomfortable.

Edit it add, I do workout out 6-7 days a week.
  • amayarnell
    amayarnell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    While the strap looks uncomfortable, it isn't. Once it's on it's not particularly noticeable if you don't make it too tight. The HRM with the strap is the most reliable.

^ agree! i thought the same thing before (thinking uncomfortable) i purchased mine. when i have it on working out, i cant even tell it is there. sometimes i will forget about it after the workout. highly recommend as it will be more accurate with readings!
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Do you wear it over or under your clothes? I am looking into getting one too.
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    I forget I'm even wearing the chest strap most of the time. Sometimes it'll be hours before I take it off if I'm out and about after my workout.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    theyre bogus. Dont waste your time.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're used to wearing a bra you probably won't even notice the strap. Love my Polar ft4.
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    Do you wear it over or under your clothes? I am looking into getting one too.
    Under, just under your bra.
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

^^Agreed. I hardly ever notice that I'm wearing mine. :happy:
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Strap has to be in contact with your skin, close to the heart. Monitor user guide includes helpful illustrations. I use a Polar FT60 and it does work well. Good luck on your journey.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I caught myself wearing my HRM about an hour after my run the other day. I just forgot I had it on. I hardly notice it's there. And I'm a guy so I am not used to wearing a strap on my chest.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ah, I see. Others were saying that it won't bother you as long as you don't tighten it too much, so my question is: will it slide off? I mean, if you're bouncing about running and everything, how often does it fall?
  • stormin4
    stormin4 Posts: 8
    Options
    I also use the Polar FT7. It is great. Used to hate the strap but after a week or so, you won't even notice you're wearing it. BTW the Polar syncs with most of the gym equipment in my gym so it gives my heart rate on the machine.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I caught myself wearing my HRM about an hour after my run the other day. I just forgot I had it on. I hardly notice it's there. And I'm a guy so I am not used to wearing a strap on my chest.

You don't wear your wife's bras when she's not at home? I thought everyone had that fantasy. I do that sometimes so having that strap around my chest wasn't an odd feeling at all.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    The chest strap doesn't both me at all -- and for the ladies they make a sports bra with the contacts built-in so you don't need 2 straps.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I was just wondering. I know heart rate monitors generally require that very uncomfortable-looking strap to be worn under your chest, but is it absolutely necessary if you simply want to take your heart rate? All answers welcome, thanks!
    There is ladies clothing that you can buy to use a hrm with out a strap. The ONLY reason I know this is because I saw it on another thread... I think... Anyways hrm monitors with the chest piece are the most accurate.

BTW I was never here and you didn't hear this from me. lol :tongue:
    *quietly ducks out of room*

Bra-Diagram1.jpg
    ASB-HRM.jpg
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Ah, I see. Others were saying that it won't bother you as long as you don't tighten it too much, so my question is: will it slide off? I mean, if you're bouncing about running and everything, how often does it fall?

No, it won't move much at all. It sits right under your chest at the bottom of your sternum. I did 8 miles today with no shirt, lots of sweat and the HRM never moved.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't even notice my chest strap as it goes right under my bra strap. If you are wearing it correctly you won't even notice it!

The HRMs that are a watch only are not 100% accurate unless you are constantly putting your finger on the watch to take your HR. The chest strap constantly takes your HR which gives you a more accurate burn reading. I used to have a watch only one and sometimes when I was working out at a higher intensity I would forget to take my HR.. or forget when I had switched to a lower intensity which caused the readings to be off.