Always too much sugar. Help!

Options
So this morning I had 1.5 cups of cereal (Irresistibles Muesli - Harvest Fruit) with 1 cup of skim milk, and a banana. I am already WAY over my recommended sugar for the day - That breakfast was 37g! How the heck am I supposed to stay under 24g (or even the 35g it goes up to once I'm done my daily workouts)??

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you're tracking sugar? remember fruit has sugar but it's better than some...I can easily go over my sugar for the day by just having an apple and grapes as snacks. I don't watch it as much as my other things cause I don't have to worry about it
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Dairy and fruit have naturally occurring sugar. The recommended sugar intake is for added sugar. Most people will tell you either to ignore that number in MFP or subtract the sugar from fruits and dairy.
  • kiwi2006
    kiwi2006 Posts: 15
    Options
    I swapped my cereal for eggs in morning and that's helped. But I struggle with sugar too I try not to worry too much if its from fruit/veg :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can change what you track .... I no longer track sugar ... I chose to track fiber instead. As long as you're not eating lots of added sugar, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • d2391
    d2391 Posts: 110
    Options
    i'd be more concerned with sodium and potassium levels
  • thestrawberrysays
    thestrawberrysays Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Dairy and fruit have naturally occurring sugar. The recommended sugar intake is for added sugar. Most people will tell you either to ignore that number in MFP or subtract the sugar from fruits and dairy.

I second this.
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Cereal is one of the worst for sugar when it comes to breakfast food, although i'm surprised your muesli has that much in. What is your portion size? I concur with everyone else on the natural sugar front, but I don't agree that you shouldn't worry about it too much. Sugar is a huge contributer to obesity and if you're even slightly insulin resistant (like I am) you really need to watch your sugar intake. I've switched to either fruit or protein shakes for breakfast most days now instead of cereal as I couldn't find one that was really low enough. All Bran is the closest I've come.
  • BecAbey
    BecAbey Posts: 8
    Options
    I have this everyday, by Dinner I'm always over by around 10-15g but if its fruit and healthy foods your going over with then don't worry! Its more Crisps/Chocolate which has added Sugar.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I always weigh cereal - its easy to pour out a bit too much, and then it creeps up! Having said that, I don't worry too much about the sugar macro as I know I'm not chomping on biscuits and sweets all day - look at what it gives from milk alone! If you're not eating a lot of processed stuff (which has so much added sugar AND salt - often in the same product!:noway: ) I wouldn't worry too much. Just don't add sugar to your hot drinks or other dishes.
  • debralekicsummers
    debralekicsummers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    try oats in the morning for breakfast and fruits like plums, strawberries, etc have less sugar than things like banana's , grapes and pears. I just watch my sugar because i am insulin resistant but if you don't have a problem i wouldn't worry about it too much, sodium and fat are the ones to watch
  • Fl0rence1905
    Fl0rence1905 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have also queried this but if the sugar is from fresh fruit it is not bad, dried fruit not so good hope this helps :smile:
  • pomegranatemint
    pomegranatemint Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh good timing, I was just wanting to ask the same question.

My day was very clean, and yet I was still over with my sugar and there is no way I could eliminate anything, unless I eliminate the couple pieces of fruit I had and I can't do that :)