First 5K in 3 1/2 Weeks

Options
I signed up for my first 5K which will be on May 11. I had every intention of doing the C25K but with a lot of life issues, such as deaht in the family, sick family member, etc. I have done very little training.

I am determined to do the 5K and to train in the short time i have, but I am wondering if anybody has a good way to train with the little time I have left? I want to finish the 5K, and I am not looking for any type of record. I just want to do it to prove to myself that I can. Anybody have any tips of how to train for this? I can easily walk on a treadmill for at least 30 mimutes at a rate of 2.7 mp. Not looking to break any records here just want to finish.

Any ideas please???

Replies

• FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just starting a c25k program again. If you miss a day here or there, so be it, adjust your plan accordingly. Don't try to push yourself to go too fast too soon, you can injure yourself that way.

If your goal is to complete the 5k, then show up and do it. Don't worry about what the others are doing, just focus on what you want/need to do for yourself. since this will be your first event, use it as a baseline to set goals for your next event.
  • needlework
    needlework Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Wish me luck!
  • needlework
    Options
    Anybody else have any ideas/advice??
  • maxduke10
    maxduke10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is no shame in walking a 5k! I did one just this past weekend! I have done several and have found that not a single one of the courses were nice and flat! Lots of hills! I too would love to complete one while running, but can't seem to find the time to train consistently. Life always gets busy, but sometimes I feel like if I don't get my butt out there and exercise and eat better all the time, my life will be a lot shorter.
  • needlework
    Options
    bump
  • mrsmegb
    mrsmegb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Definitely start doing c25k again, but be prepared to walk the whole 5k, which is perfectly fine to do! Nike has some great smart phone apps for tracking your walks/runs, giving you the pace and time, etc. Personally I would shoot for power walking the 5k. Your first mile is going to be killer to your calves, especially if you're on a treadmill doing 2.7mph... on the road, that's a whole different experience. Get off the treadmill, get outside, and go!