Improving running speed

Options
Hiya

A couple of years ago I completed the c25K program. Since then I have done a couple of 10k's and a half marathon. However I can't seem to get any quicker. I still have a bit of weight to lose and am going to start incorporating some weight training, but I love running and really want to improve. Any advice?

Thanks

Replies

• juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Personally I just increased my speed (treadmill) by 0.2 at a time per week or two.
    Eventually after a few months I could run much faster and breath easier while doing so.
  • kezza8888
    kezza8888 Posts: 75
    Options

This This!! :-) Especially if you aren't using a treadmill.....

I used to do 1min sprint vs 2 min normal pace for my usual runs....evenutally I could do 2min sprint vs 1min slower pace...I managed to get my overall speed down by 90seconds p/mile within less than 2 months....
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    What they said ^^

and enter more races, I always run faster under race conditions!
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I also suggest intervals and hills, but also do longer runs. You will be amazed at how building up your endurance helps your speed as well.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Pretty much what everyone else has said.

I did a running clinic and I think the sprint intervals at the track helped.

I did the treadmill increase as well but that was before I started running outside lol
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If you just want to be able to run a bit faster in the near future then speed work will do that. But it's easily reversible when you stop the speed work.

To get fundamentally faster takes a lot of consistent running over time. Basically run more often and gradually increase your average weekly milage across the seasons.

You can add speed work at any time and in about 4-8 weeks it will boost your pace to a higher level as long a you keep it up.

Example...Lets say your base pace is10 min miles and adding speed work took you to 9 min miles. Well if your base speed had been 9 min miles then speed work would boost you to 8 min miles.

But the point is that it hard on the body to maintain speed work across the whole season. Working on base pace the majority of the time is more realistic and less prone to injury.

So basically, run more and then 8 weeks before a goal race add speed work for an extra turbo boost.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    What are you running now? Miles per week, over how many days, what's your long run?
  • rhodesar
    rhodesar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I try to run 4 days a week. 3 of those days will be 3-4 miles and one longer run (about 6 miles unless I'm training for a half marathon then up to 10-11 miles). My fastest time for a 5k is 29 mins 33 seconds. I would love to get it down to about 28 minutes for the time being, or a sub 1 hr 10k! When I'm doing lots of longer runs I get really really hungry and that's not helping the weight loss so I think I need to concentrate on trying to lose more weight before doing another half marathon. I do usually do intervals at least once a week but perhaps I need to push myself a but more!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    What crux said: run more. Get your weekly mileage up a bit, and that right there is likely to help your speed improve. Right now, I wouldn't add another day of speed work if you're only running 4 days. Your speed day is one hard workout, your long run (even though it should be considerably slower) is another, so the other two days should be easy. I would gradually increase mileage to 20-25/week, while keeping your long run at 6-8--that's not a huge bump for you, but should be enough to show some improvement in the 5K. Longer runs would be better, though, for improving endurance for the 10K.

For pace guidance, check out McMillan: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

If you're tracking your burn with a HRM and eating back the calories, running more shouldn't make you unusually hungry. I've trained for half-marathons while losing weight, and I find that as long as I keep my calorie deficit on the small side (250-500/day to lose half a pound to a pound a week), I haven't had trouble.
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Options

This. Intervals will help you immensely!

I've been doing Insanity for about three weeks now and have noticed my pace has improved by 40-45 seconds. HIIT has really helped with my speed.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Intervals, tempo runs, long runs, and crosstraining.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Weight Training (for me I have been doing Stronglifts 5x5) always helps me gain a better pace when running
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    If you just want to be able to run a bit faster in the near future then speed work will do that. But it's easily reversible when you stop the speed work.

To get fundamentally faster takes a lot of consistent running over time. Basically run more often and gradually increase your average weekly milage across the seasons.

Totally correct. Throw all that nonsense about intervals and hill repeats out the window at your stage of running. How many miles are you running a month? That's probably the biggest indicator of what speed you can run. If running is a yummy cake the speed work is merely the thin layer of icing on top. The big bulk of your running pace is a factor of how much running you do and how long you've been doing it. Just put in the miles and wear out those shoes.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm the fastest I've ever been, and I'm only running one day a week - the game-changer has been cross-training (HIIT workouts) and weight training. Having lost a bunch of weight is undoubtedly a contributing factor as well.
  • rhodesar
    rhodesar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks x
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It was totally counter intuitive for me but I got faster by using the Galloway method (just google, he's pretty famous). So basically now I run in short intervals with walks in between. Seemed crazy to me but I went from running 10k in just on the hour to 58 minutes the first time I tried it. Last weekend I did 10 k in 55:28 stopping to walk every 10 min. Today I did a training run with 5 min run, 45 sec walk and still did 10k in under an hour.

Like I said seemed crazy but for me it works and I enjoy the whole thing much more.