Looking for Ways to Cook Fish

Options
iceey
iceey Posts: 354 Member
Salmon, Tuna, Talapia, Trout...

I am looking for healthy, tasty ways to make these fish.

Replies

• PinkyMouse
    PinkyMouse Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    salmon, tilapia in "papillotte" (aluminium foil wraps) with choped leek and carrots, salt pepper. delicious ! you can add a bit of white wine (it is cheating but so good ! and there is no fat in the papillotte !)
    tuna, if it is fresh tuna, grilled in the pan skin side for 5-10 min and then the other side 2-3min. salt and lemon. delicious too ! serve with plain rice.
    you can also try the fish carpaccio: freeze the pieces of fish about 20min to harden them" Then slice them 0.5cm thick. Prepare a kind of dressing: lemon juice with olive oil (just a bit !), salt pepper and dill if you like ! This is really refreshing ! and it is not raw it is cooked by lemon acidity !
    trout can be cooked as salmon but Iam less fan to trout... and the way Ilike it is forbidden: grilled in butter then add cream plus sliced almonds....

Good luck and enjoy your fish !
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    my favorite way to cook delicate fish (read anything but salmon and halibut)

sauté onions and whatever yummy veggies you want however you want to do it. (mushrooms, asparagus, onions, garlic, scapes, spinach, chard, kale,... in a little bit of oil of choice. Place frozen (or fresh I guess) fillets on top of the sauted veggies... Add water, stock, or wine... like a good splosh... I like lemon and water. Put a lid on the pot and don't touch it for a few minutes (not long at all - just until fish is opaque)

nom nom nom
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I also think ceviche is kick-*kitten*... not terribly hard to do if you can find fresh fresh fish
  • iceey
    Options
    I've never heard of ceviche. What is it?
  • AprilBarkulis
    Options
    I have used this on Bass, Trout and Crappies ETC. It works great on even salmon

In baking dish pour 1 oz. lemon juice over two fish filet . mix 1/2 tblsp. dill with 2 tblsp. Parmesan cheese and 1/8 cup bread crumbs pour dill and pram mixture over two fish filet bake at 350 with no lid on until fish is cooked through :-)
    This is for 2 serving It can be easily double to serve as many as you need

7.9 oz Fish filet I use Swia Fish I get from Wal-Mart about two filets
    1 oz. Lemon Juice
    1/2 Tbsp. Spices - Dill weed, dried
    2 Tblsp. Parmesan cheese
    1/8 cup Dry Bread Crumbs Plain
    10 sprays of I can't believe it not butter spray

Calories =131, Carb's 2, Fat 5g, Protein 19g, Sodium 469mg,
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My FAVORITE!!

3 snapper fillets, 8 oz each (or any fish, I use tilapia)
    2 tsp olive oil
    3 cloves garlic
    2 tbsp fresh rosemary or fresh oregano
    kosher salt and fresh pepper
    1 tbsp Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
    fresh lemon wedges for serving

Preheat oven to 450°. Rinse and dry fish well. Line a broiler rack with aluminum foil. Lightly spray with oil. Rub fish with 1 tsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper, garlic and rosemary. Place skin side down on oven rack and sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Drizzle remaining oil and bake until fish is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.

Servings: 3 • Serving Size: 6 oz cooked
    Calories: 256.6 • Fat: 6.1 g • Protein: 45.3 g • Carb: 3.2 g • Fiber: 0.2 g • Sugar: .3 g
    Sodium without adding salt: 141.4 mg
  • iceey
    Options
    Thanks for these ideas!
  • shellandflame
    shellandflame Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Best fish is cooked on a cedar plank in the grill.
    Use either potlatch seasoning (Combine 2 teaspoons salt; 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin; 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano; ¼ teaspoon garlic powder; 1/4 teaspoon chili powder; and 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I go heavier as my family likes a bit of kick) or make your own teriyaki (Combine 1/3 cup soy sauce; 2 tablespoons mirin; 2 tablespoons cider vinegar; 2 tablespoons brown sugar; and 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger in a pot. Bring to a boil, then let cool to room temperature.).
    You can get grilling planks pretty much wherever you get charcoal these days. Throw the plank in water half an hour before you start the grill. Once the grill is started, either rub the calmon with the potlatch or put it in the teriyaki marinade. Once the gill is hot, put the plank on the grate for five minutes, then put your salmon on the plank. The steam from the plank will keep the salmon very moist and give it a great flavor.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I like salmon two different ways
    -marinated in oil, soy sauce and garlic, then barbequed
    or
    -sprinkle with a bit of garlic salt, pan fry until about 3/4 done, turn down the heat, and pour 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup over the fillet, mmmmmmmm soooooooo good. You just have to make sure the pan isn't TOO hot still, otherwise the maple syrup will harden pretty quickly after it comes out of the pan.
  • Cricket09
    Cricket09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like mine grilled simply with a touch of olive oil and lemon pepper or garlic. The grill gives it great flavor. I also like to fry white ruffy/roughy (I've seen it spelled both ways and I get white ruffy from Trader Joe's), in organic coconut oil, but first I coat it in fat free milk and then dip in orange coconut spiced panko bread crumbs that I get from Main Street Marketplace here in town. They have a website. This is my current favorite fish dish. I also bake salmon in my toaster oven or oven with some great bourbon glaze. Now that I think about it, I got that at Main Street Marketplace too. And, no, I'm not affiliated with them, they are just my favorite spice shop...tied with Olde Town Spice Shoppe and their Applewood Smoke rub that is fantastic when grilling or smoking chicken and pork. :)
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i usually season and broil. salt and pepper/lemon pepper/old bay/ginger and orange/garlic and lime/just about anything turn the broiler on high put the fish on foil on a baking sheet right under the flame for about 5 minutes...sometimes about 7 or 8 depending on the fish.
  • freemind990
    Options
    Personally I either put it in the oven with some sliced tomatoes & eggplants . Or I grill It
  • Cricket09
    Cricket09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ceviche is a Mexican fish dish where the fish is "cooked" in citrus juice. Usually fresh lime juice. You can find good recipes online, but I like Chef Rick Bayless' recipe. Google "Rick Bayless Classic Ceviche Recipe" and you'll find it. Just be sure to buy your fish from a good fish monger and make sure it's sushi grade.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    I've never heard of ceviche. What is it?

ceviche is fish "cooked" in usually lime juice. works really well with shrimp and scallops too. basically the acid in the lime juice cooks the proteins in the seafood without heat.

dice up the fish (white fishes work best), red onion, tomato cover in fresh lime juice, a bit of salt and pepper. wait about 10-20 minutes and eat. :-)
  • leeannewgeorge
    leeannewgeorge Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Salmon brushed with a minute amount of olive oil, seasoned with a little salt and pepper and grilled on the Big Green Egg. It's wonderful!
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Bake it
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fish, but one of my easiest go-to healthy meals is plain old baked cod. Season with paprika, salt and pepper and bake it. Ultra low in calories and inexpensive. I serve with quinoa pilaf (w/ broccoli, almonds and raisins). that meal is a protein powerhouse.
  • Clar28
    Clar28 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I soak mine in milk with lemon, then lay them out and sprinkle Everglades for fish on it and bake it.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There's nothing better than a salmon fillet/steak just dotted with a little olive oil & paprika or Old Bay Seasoning and put in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. My favorite is Cod tho'.