Clothes too big? 100+ still to lose

Options
I started out wearing plus size clothing (2x t shirts, 26 jeans) & I have about 100lbs more to lose. However my pants are all WAY too big on me now & if I wear them I feel sloppy/uncomfortable. I don't know my size right now but I know its harder to find plus size clothing in 2nd hand stores & I can't afford to go buy new clothes only to need more again in the fall & then in the winter.

So what is everyone else doing? I have 2 pairs of pants (dress pant material) that are waistless so they fit good still & should shrink with me for a while but I love my jeans. I am tempted to go get them taken in because that would be alot cheaper then buying new.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Replies

• amalzingsong
    amalzingsong Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm not sure of your location but I know there is a place near me that is a plus size consignment shop. I went there to buy a dress last week for a black tie wedding I'm going to. Maybe there is one in your area?
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    While I was loosing weight my wife bought me some stuff at Goodwill to tide me over until I got down to my goal weight. Once I lost all I planned on loosing I went and bought clothes at regular stores.
  • caseym87
    caseym87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can get a decent pair of jeans for like $20 at Old Navy if you wait for sales.
  • babams
    babams Posts: 15
    Options
    Gar, I would recommend you buy a pair that makes you feel as amazing as you look?!
  • EmmaJackson130
    EmmaJackson130 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am making do right now as well, like you I can't wear the pants that fall down but I'm putting up with my oversized tops. I am planning to get some stuff taken in for the summer as like you say it will be cheaper. I am also looking out on ebay for clothing bundles.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at store like Goodwill? All I know is that I have donated pretty much my entire wardrobe of a year ago to Goodwill so I know they have some nice, size 18/20 stuff. I know how you feel about not wanting to spend a lot of money on clothes that will be temporary until you get to a lower size. I actually bought 90% of my current size 14 wardrobe at Kohl's...watch for their 20% off coupons and the clearance racks. I find LOADS of bargains there. I replaced just a few pieces at a time and held on to shirts longer than I probably should have b/c even if they are too big at least they don't fall off like pants! And soon I will be replacing the size 14 stuff (slowly) as well.

Good luck!
  • betho217
    betho217 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I resisted buying new clothes for as long as I could because I knew I had more to lose and I thought it would be a waste of money. Boy, was I wrong!! The feeling of fitting into smaller sizes and seeing something totally different when I looked in the mirror was priceless. Get your current jeans taken in but go out and buy just one new pair!! You deserve to see the new you the way you are. If you keep wearing old clothes how will see it?
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You can get a decent pair of jeans for like $20 at Old Navy if you wait for sales.

Still not into their sizes yet, although I am tempted to go to a store to try on clothes to find out my size because right now I have no idea other than I am no longer what I was before.
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Gar, I would recommend you buy a pair that makes you feel as amazing as you look?!

Thanks Ames, I do have one pair of jeans that are a 24, I haven't tried them on for a few weeks so going to give them a try to see if I fit yet. My other pants are a diff make/material so the sizes are off & its hard to tell. Just looking forward to warmer temps so I can live in shorts!
  • AnnetteNJ
    AnnetteNJ Posts: 29
    Options
    I agree with most of the comments. Once you determine what your current (and temporary) size is treat yourself to a pair of jeans. If you find something great on sale, buy a pair a few sizes smaller and try them on every now and then to see where you are. I do that and it feels great when you can raise the zipper completely closed when at first you can get the pants passed your hips. Also if you have no good second hand stores near your, sometimes you can get a some decent finds on eBay for very little cost. Good luck!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm not sure of your location but I know there is a place near me that is a plus size consignment shop. I went there to buy a dress last week for a black tie wedding I'm going to. Maybe there is one in your area?

I agree. I googled my city + plus size consignment and found a few places. Also, my local Goodwill has a good selection of plus size clothes, as does a few of the higher end consignment shops like Plato's Closet.

Another idea, if you know your current size, check ebay. Just search for "women's pants 20W" or whatever size you currently are. Sometimes sellers will sell them in lots of 3-5 pairs, and they can be a really good deal.

Good luck, and congrats on your loss!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I started out wearing plus size clothing (2x t shirts, 26 jeans) & I have about 100lbs more to lose. However my pants are all WAY too big on me now & if I wear them I feel sloppy/uncomfortable. I don't know my size right now but I know its harder to find plus size clothing in 2nd hand stores & I can't afford to go buy new clothes only to need more again in the fall & then in the winter.

So what is everyone else doing? I have 2 pairs of pants (dress pant material) that are waistless so they fit good still & should shrink with me for a while but I love my jeans. I am tempted to go get them taken in because that would be alot cheaper then buying new.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Check www.thethriftshopper.com for local thrift stores in your area. I know GoodWill & Salvation Army at least in my area have a decent selection of plus sized clothing.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Everyone's mentioned consignment stores and charity shops. I was doing pretty well with belts until recently but I've had to ditch all of my starting trousers now except for the favourite pair of jeans I kept hoping I'd slim back into them -- and I have to wear those with a belt now.

A bunch of my girlfriends had a clothes swap party -- we got together with bags of clothes we didn't wear any more and put them in a big pile and everyone tried stuff on. Some people had gained weight, some had lost weight, some stuff people had just grown tired of, or didn't look as nice at home as it did in the shop, and so on. We had women from size 6 to 28, and about 80% of the stuff we brought went home with someone; the rest went to the charity shop. I took away two pairs of jeans that fit right then, and another pair for if when I go down another size, and four dresses, a couple of sweaters. It was brilliant to get so much free stuff and it really helps.

I am starting to buy some stuff. Because I'm losing quite slowly now I'm reasonably sure I'll get some use out of things I buy now. The only stuff I've bought after starting to lose that's now too big for me is workout gear and sports bras. I don't think there's any way round that; you have to have exercise gear that fits.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can buy bundles of clothes on ebay which are useful for an interim weight. I'm kind of surprised nobody has set up a group on here to do this.