Suggestions for snacks?

Options
lmkaks
lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
Hello,
Anyone have any suggestions for convenient snacks? I usually snack on green pepper slices, yogurt, mini babybel cheese, a handful of almonds, but that is about it and I am getting bored. I can't stand cottage cheese. I would like more protein than carbs...

Any suggestions? Even if it is something I could make ahead and just grab when I need it.

Thanks!

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    King prawns
    Crab sticks
    Veggies and dips
    Boiled eggs
  • talygal
    talygal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How about turkey and lite cheese with a dash of miracle whip light all rolled up? Or, a half a can of tuna with a little miracle whip rolled up in a lettuce leaf? Or, two hard boiled eggs? Rice cakes with almond of peanut butter and a couple of raisins? Protein will fill you up the most and help you with maintaining lean muscle. Make sure you are eating carbs with protein and NOT by itself.
  • cathywlker
    cathywlker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the Atkins bars, full of fiber and no sugar and low carbs. they have lots of varieties to choose from.
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How about turkey and lite cheese with a dash of miracle whip light all rolled up? Or, a half a can of tuna with a little miracle whip rolled up in a lettuce leaf? Or, two hard boiled eggs? Rice cakes with almond of peanut butter and a couple of raisins? Protein will fill you up the most and help you with maintaining lean muscle. Make sure you are eating carbs with protein and NOT by itself.

Curious, why not protein alone?

Thanks for the suggestions as well!
  • TesselCat
    TesselCat Posts: 74
    Options

Curious, why not protein alone?

Thanks for the suggestions as well!
    I think she was saying not to eat carbs by themselves, not avoid protein alone!
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing right now is baked cauliflower, I toss chunks of it with just a bit of olive oil, and whatever seasonings look good at the time, bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Amazing.

I also love raw sugar snap peas, pop chips, 40 calorie popsicles, frozen grapes, cheddar flavored rice cakes mixed with caramel flavored rice cakes for that fabulous sweet/salty combo, sweet chili rice cakes, pistachios, apples with salt....yeah, I'm a snacker.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Apples and Brie or Gouda
    Bananas and pistachios
    Celery and PB or laughing cow cheese wedges
    Popcorn and cheese
    Cheese sticks with V-8

Decadent snacks:
    Banana cream (frozen bananas blended to a creamy texture) with PB and chocolate chips
    Fiber One Browne spread with PB and sprinkled with cinnamon
    Brookside Dark Chocolate pomegranate with almonds
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    granny smith apple sliced with nut butter
    greek yogurt
    sliced cucumbers with a little salt or vinegar
    grape or cherry tomatoes tossed in balsamic vinegar
    chicken breast bites (grill or bake chicken breast cut into small bites, dip in spicy sauce of choice)
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    Figs
    Dates
    Multigrain crackers
    Olives
    Cheeses

I usually keep the first three in my office at all times, individually portioned out in little baggies, so that when I'm hungry, I know exactly what's in the bag without having to whip out a digital scale.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Lovely delicious hardboiled eggs. Did I mention how much I love hardboiled eggs? LOL

Fruit + Nut butter = delicious. I like Granny Smith apples with almond butter or a banana with a tbsp of peanut butter. Heaven!
  • mcdonoughjl
    Options
    bump... great ideas!
  • mandyeharmon
    mandyeharmon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you need it to stay out and stay good, I'll suggest what I did today. Made a salad with bacon bits and a little shredded cheese and light dressing. But, I put some frozen grilled chicken slices (the precooked ready to go from Tyson) in there. So it kept the salad cold, and was defrosted and ready to eat when I was about 4-5 hours of sitting out. It's kind of genius.
  • SabrinaLily
    SabrinaLily Posts: 121
    Options
    Egg whites which you can just microwave in a minute. I also like bacon :))) I know you wanted protein ideas but just as an FYI, I enjoy Orville Redenbacher's Smartpop. It's a 100 calorie personal bag, buttered flavored, and I spruce it up with a calorie-free butter airsol (same aisle) and salt. I usually have that at night after dinner during TV time.
  • Cupcake1015
    Cupcake1015 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    great ideas, thanks!
  • purple_power61
    purple_power61 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    theres some unique ideas.... thank you!
  • mmimmi1
    mmimmi1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Lavash bread (hispanic isle at Wal Mart) has 100 calories per sheet and you microwave it for 2 minutes, take it out to air (it will get crispy) and break it up and use with salsa.

PS: I love the flax seed kind. And it has like 10 g of protein
  • Harmoman
    Harmoman Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My snacks include
    Pistachio's,
    hummus (& cheese, or deli ham, or veggies....or by itself! Yum!)
    an Orange,
    a banana,
    an avacado
    Greek Yogurt

Hope this helps!
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you need it to stay out and stay good, I'll suggest what I did today. Made a salad with bacon bits and a little shredded cheese and light dressing. But, I put some frozen grilled chicken slices (the precooked ready to go from Tyson) in there. So it kept the salad cold, and was defrosted and ready to eat when I was about 4-5 hours of sitting out. It's kind of genius.

That is SO FREAKIN' SMART!!!
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Take some fruit
    Chuck it in the blender
    Puree it
    Make popsicles out of the puree.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    Lavash bread (hispanic isle at Wal Mart) has 100 calories per sheet and you microwave it for 2 minutes, take it out to air (it will get crispy) and break it up and use with salsa.

PS: I love the flax seed kind. And it has like 10 g of protein

Love Lavash, but it's a Turkish bread, not mexican :) Shame on Wal-Mart for putting it there.