Need more food options

Options
Hey guys I am desperately trying to increase my calorie intake as I never reach what i'm supposed to each day was just wondering if you guys could offer some suggestions as to what to add to my diet. This is a typical day for me

Breakfast- egg white (boiled) and greek yogurt with green tea
Snack- a piece of fruit and few almonds
Lunch- protein shake
Snack- a cup of soup from whole foods
Dinner- baked chicken with squash and zucchini

(BORING I know) please offer suggestions to spice it up and get some more calories in there my weight loss has been slow and I keep hearing its because i'm not eating enough. I"m trying to eat enough but running out of things to eat.

Replies

• olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The world is full of different foods. Eat what tastes good to you.:smile:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It all depends, no?

There is a difference between eating less than your body needs at a minimum, and eating at a deficit.

Fats are a good way to increase calories. Also, why not eat the whole egg? Why not eat a second egg? That's an extra 70 or so calories.

I would add more whole food in order to increase calories, in a very general sense.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Why are you running out of food to eat? Do you not like much? Allergic? Trying to keep fat or sugar under a certain amount? I eat a lot like you--but also do 1 sm corn tortillas (90 cals), 1 oz of low moisture mozz. cheese, avocado slices, & black beans a lot for lunch and/or dinner with lettuce, tomatoes and a small handful of roasted corn. You can add spice to this to your taste. I love roasted Brussels sprouts and eat that and broccoli a few times a week..roast with a scant amt. of olive oil. What about fish? I also eat 2 squares of Dark chocolate more often than not as a dessert--amazingly less sugar than a banana and satisfies my need for chocolate at 140 cals. Good luck
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    pretzel sticks, soups, turkey burgers, turkey franks, 100 calorie snack packs, fruits, veggies, salads
  • Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Avocados :) They're satisfying and healthy.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I am desperately trying to increase my calorie intake as I never reach what i'm supposed to each day was just wondering if you guys could offer some suggestions as to what to add to my diet. This is a typical day for me

Breakfast- egg white (boiled) and greek yogurt with green tea
    Snack- a piece of fruit and few almonds
    Lunch- protein shake
    Snack- a cup of soup from whole foods
    Dinner- baked chicken with squash and zucchini

(BORING I know) please offer suggestions to spice it up and get some more calories in there my weight loss has been slow and I keep hearing its because i'm not eating enough. I"m trying to eat enough but running out of things to eat.
    Breakfast: Eat the yolks, too. Add some buttered toast.
    Snack: More almonds, or put nut butter on the fruit.
    Lunch: Eat food.
    Snack: Slice of bread and butter with the soup, or a side salad with nuts, dried fruit, and dressing.
    Dinner: : Put butter or drizzle olive oil on your veggies, and add something starchy (potato, sweet potato, beans, rice, quinoa, pasta)
  • beckslite
    beckslite Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It does look like your not eating enough. Do you have much energy? Because you don't really eat carbs. Also you don't have lunch. Maybe you could start adding lunch to your diet. You don't have to slot of carbs, but we all need some. Carbs give us energy. You could have one piece of toast with your egg. And there is nothing wrong with having the whole egg. If you have a jacket potato anytime just have a small one. Or mixed peppers with a fist size portion of pasta. I'm not an expert and I'm only just starting out but it looks like you are definitely are not eating enough food and carbs. I can't survive on your diet, need a little more. I always try to have small amount o f carbs and add salad or veg to it. Your not taking enough veggies and fruit.

It's so difficult to get the right balance. Good luck.

Becks
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: instant oatmeal
    snack: protein shake with yogurt and fruit (mix the flavors up)
    Lunch:http://diabeticgourmet.com/recipes/Sandwiches_and_Wraps/
    Snack: hummus with veggies or avocado and veggies
    Dinner: http://www.easydietforlife.com/low-glycemic-recipes.html
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i just had a homemade egg salad sandwich. 2 large eggs, 1/2 of an avocado, 2 tablespoons light mayo. YUM! although next time i make it i'll use 1 tablespoon of light mayo.

hummus with veggies make a delicious snack
    string cheese
    popcorn
    tuna
    baked potato (or sweet potato)
    brown rice
    chick peas
    beans
    salad with chicken, chick peas, spinach, feta cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes - yum
    stuffed peppers - ground beef or chicken or turkey, brown rice, tomato sauce, shredded carrot stuffed into a pepper
    veggie burgers

so many food choices so little time to eat them all. :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs in the morning. Have the protein shake for a afternoon snack and have a real lunch, something like home made soup, chicken salad, a wrap... Add nuts, olive oil to your dressing, houmous. Healthy fats are good for you!

Zara
  • OMGitsTish
    Options
    WHEW! ok great new options thanks guys! I'm really just starting out and i've been given soooooo much info. Not sure what to follow exactly so i'm kind of winging it here. My daily cals according to this app should be 1800 daily and i'm no where near that. Many have asked why not eat the yolk.. Well..... i hate eggs actually lol I eat them boiled but the yolk is the part that I really don't like so I trash it anyway. I was thinking OOhh a protein shake for lunch is good but that's a good idea to drink that as a snack and actually eat lunch. UGH this is frustrating I will get it right sooner than later but the ideas u guys have presented are awesome! THANKS!!!!
  • nookie01
    nookie01 Posts: 1
    Options
    Great ideas!.....I'm going to try the egg salad sandwich ASAP....:flowerforyou:
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    There's a great recipe feature here where you can put in the ingredients and how many servings so you know how it breaks down. So, you can still enjoy meals you like to make, just sometimes a smaller portion size.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    How about... everything else? Any food. In moderation.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg at breakfast. A bowl of air popped popcorn with a tablespoon of butter will add a few hundred healthy calories (depending on how much popcorn you use). String cheese is good. Add another piece of fruit.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Raw Bacon.
  • dedicated2014
    dedicated2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bananas, avocados, beans, brown rice, hummus, cheese, peanuts, peanut butter, oil-popped popcorn, sources of protein (fish, chicken, beef), whole grain bread, olive oil, dried fruit, fruit juice...
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Raw Bacon.
    Yes.