Accurate count of calories burned during Zumba

Options
I have been going to a Zumba class three times a week for almost two months now. Since I do not see it as an option to enter for cardio exercise, I think I might be inaccurate in my accounting. Does anyone have the definitive formula for calculating calories burned doing Zumba for 60 minutes at both mid and high intensity?

Replies

• angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Wear a heart rate monitor that has a chest strap. That's as close to accurate as you can get.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This is a great zumba calculator tool. I have done zumba many times with a HRM and the calculator seems to be really close!
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the best way to count your burns at Zumba classes is to wear an HRM (Heart Rate Monitor). It will give you the most accurate read. Otherwise you can be left guessing in the formula, I used a website to try and track mine before I used and HRM and I was counting at about 300 cals burned during 45 minutes from the calculation when I was really burning 669 cals in 45 minutes.

In short I suggest and HRM.
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I seriously agree with getting a heart rate monitor. I have been doing Zumba since November and all the calorie counters on the web were estimating me to be between 800-1200 calories burned. Needless to say I wasnt losing weight, then in March I bought a HRM off of Amazon for around $60 and it says I burn on around 450-600 calories and on a day I dont put in as much intensity around 2-300 calories. I have started losing since then ;-)
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I use to use the Zumba Calculator, but when I started wearing a HRM, I found that the calculator was really high, and my actual calorie burn varied depending on the Zumba instructor, the play list and my effort...
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I seriously agree with getting a heart rate monitor. I have been doing Zumba since November and all the calorie counters on the web were estimating me to be between 800-1200 calories burned. Needless to say I wasnt losing weight, then in March I bought a HRM off of Amazon for around $60 and it says I burn on around 450-600 calories and on a day I dont put in as much intensity around 2-300 calories. I have started losing since then ;-)
    The girls in your weight counter must be your daughters - are absolutely adorable!
  • LoveLaughSweatFuel
    LoveLaughSweatFuel Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    HRM and I have the hardest time getting my fellow classmates to realize that my "burn" is not their burn!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Wear a heart rate monitor that has a chest strap. That's as close to accurate as you can get.
    this.
  • sun_shine_day_dreams
    sun_shine_day_dreams Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My zumba teacher said the average calories burned during an hour class is 716.
  • brni82grl
    Options
    I bought a Polar heart rate monitor on Amazon and it was the best purchase I have ever made!! I wore it during my spinning class for the first time and was amazed to see how many calories I was burning! It's definitely worth the purchase.
  • sarahbw22
    sarahbw22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have been going to a Zumba class three times a week for almost two months now. Since I do not see it as an option to enter for cardio exercise, I think I might be inaccurate in my accounting. Does anyone have the definitive formula for calculating calories burned doing Zumba for 60 minutes at both mid and high intensity?

I definitely agree with the HRM. Perfect example, at Saturday's class I burned 630 calories. Last night I only burned 480. So even if you have the perfect calculator, your intensity, effort, max heart rate, etc, will all play a part. Spend the money, it's worth it if you're really serious about losing weight. Otherwise, it's just a big guessing game.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

this is totally not true. I will burn close to that amount in an hour, but my sister's friend will burn around 400 during the same class. it varies from one person to the next. get a HRM, check out bodytronics.com and you can find a polar ft4 for a decent price.
  • leonaedithlewis
    leonaedithlewis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Another way to tell if you are counting the Zumba calories accurately is whether your weight loss results are way off from what you would have predicted given food intake. It is not to say that there is not something else going on, like inaccurate calorie counting of food, but I have been using mfp to calculate the calories burned in Zumba by choosing "high impact aerobics" in the calculator and I have been losing weight roughly as mfp would predict given what I have been tracking for food intake and Zumba as the main form of excersize.
  • jennypenny133
    jennypenny133 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My bodymedia armband usually says I burn between 600 and 650 calories of an hour of high intensity Zumba but I'm also 232 pounds so it might be lower for someone weighing less.
  • jennypenny133
    jennypenny133 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I don't think that website is accurate. I put in my measurements and selected "medium" and it said I would burn 829, which is way high compared to what my Body Media says.
  • alliglo64
    Options
    Thanks everyone! HRM seems to be the way to go. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Have a great day!
  • gabiinacio
    Options

this is totally not true. I will burn close to that amount in an hour, but my sister's friend will burn around 400 during the same class. it varies from one person to the next. get a HRM, check out bodytronics.com and you can find a polar ft4 for a decent price.

Agreed, I have several women in my Zumba class who have the same exact heart rate monitor that I do. On a day where I burn 700 calories, another one easily burns 1200, and one will have 450. Its all about the individual person.
  • gabiinacio
    Options
    The girls in your weight counter must be your daughters - are absolutely adorable!

Yes they are, thank you. :-)
  • 08kat
    08kat Posts: 51
    Options
    I found a great site to calculate calories burned for Zumba, Aerobics, etc. Try this and see what you think http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

Good luck!! :happy: