Want to walk with my dog, but I'm scared.

Options
13»

Replies

• wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to live in a developing country where a lot of people keep poorly trained (and generally non-vaccinated) dogs for "security," and whenever I walked somewhere, I'd make sure I had some decent sized rocks in my pocket to throw in the general direction of any dogs that decided to charge me. I never threw rocks with the intention of actually hitting the dogs, but a few times it did happen. I felt bad about it, but I didn't really have options for affecting the owners' behavior and attitudes towards their dogs, and since rabies was a very real threat, I felt that this was what I needed to do to keep myself safe.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    One word of caution - if you use pepper spray, it will affect everybody with eyes and nose an mouth - including you an your dog. So if you use it, make darn sure you know which direction it's pointed in an be prepared to be similarly incapacitated. But if carrying it gives you the confidence to control the situation, that's likely all the bully dog will need to back off.

That's why you use the wasp spray.....It works at a much greater distance and won't affect your dog.

Dude - NO. LOL

Why not exactly?

Because if it can affect the other dog, it really can affect your dog, and you. What, the wasp spray has a magic property that only allows it to hurt "mean" dogs?

Re: posturing doesn't work: yes it does, in the right circumstances (like the OP described sound right). It doesn't work when you take an abused dog, put it in a tiny cage that smells like thousands of other scared and hurt dogs in a room with many other scared and hurt and abused dogs. But when a moderately healthy, moderately sane dog has an option of either backing off back towards its comfort zone in its territory or fighting a "big scary" human, and if you stay off "their" territory (stay out of their yard), you can win by appearing "not worth it". I've done it. I've managed to posture my way safely around abused, loose guard dogs as well (as a PCV, shout out to wiseeliz!). I'd NEVER try to posture my way around a caged animal - I'd fully expect it to fight to the death if it felt threatened, and I'd lose that fight.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    One word of caution - if you use pepper spray, it will affect everybody with eyes and nose an mouth - including you an your dog. So if you use it, make darn sure you know which direction it's pointed in an be prepared to be similarly incapacitated. But if carrying it gives you the confidence to control the situation, that's likely all the bully dog will need to back off.

That's why you use the wasp spray.....It works at a much greater distance and won't affect your dog.

Dude - NO. LOL

Why not exactly?

Because if it can affect the other dog, it really can affect your dog, and you. What, the wasp spray has a magic property that only allows it to hurt "mean" dogs?

Re: posturing doesn't work: yes it does, in the right circumstances (like the OP described sound right). It doesn't work when you take an abused dog, put it in a tiny cage that smells like thousands of other scared and hurt dogs in a room with many other scared and hurt and abused dogs. But when a moderately healthy, moderately sane dog has an option of either backing off back towards its comfort zone in its territory or fighting a "big scary" human, and if you stay off "their" territory (stay out of their yard), you can win by appearing "not worth it". I've done it. I've managed to posture my way safely around abused, loose guard dogs as well (as a PCV, shout out to wiseeliz!). I'd NEVER try to posture my way around a caged animal - I'd fully expect it to fight to the death if it felt threatened, and I'd lose that fight.

Meh.....I get what you're saying.....but I wouldn't risk it.....if there's a dog coming after me and my dog and doesn't show signs of stopping I'm gonna spray it.....Have you ever used wasp spray? It works from a long ways away........that's how it wouldn't hurt my dog.......or me.......Id be able to tag the other dog in the eyes from 15 yards......
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm interested in this too. I can't walk my dogs at the park near my house for the exact same reason.

Exactly. Plus a photo on your cell phone. Good luck. I have the same problem and changed my walking route.
  • FullM3talJacket
    Options
    I carry around a cane when I walk my dog we have Rottweilers and Pit Bulls, and I have an English Bulldog. When the dogs run at me they've gotten used to the cane and immediately back off.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Academy and ****s Sporting should carry telescoping aluminum trekking staffs. Mine will retract to about 24" and expand 4-5 feet. Has a carbide pointed tip about 3/4".

Nothing less than a bullet is going to deter certain dogs, but most are cowards and swinging this this should be enough to handle the majority. The pointed tip will hurt but not do much damage and scare the dog.

Generally when I have a dog on me I charge him growling and he turns tail and runs off like a liberal. LOL

https://www.google.com/search?q=Trekking+Pole&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=v-NuUezIJ4iYygHo4YGgCg&biw=1147&bih=507&sei=wuNuUdG0Laj8yAGl-ICQDg#imgrc=_