Hypothyroidism

Options
I was diagnosed with hypothyroid disease a year ago and am trying to lose 10 kg at the moment. I am on levothyroxine - does this mean my metabolism is "normal" or will it be slower than the average person?

Does anyone here have any experience/ knowledge of the disease and the best way to handle weight loss? Should I be eating less than recommended for a healthy person, or will it just take me longer to lose the weight?

I am doing high-impact aerobics 2-3 times a week, plus the cross trainer and some dance classes sometimes. Is this enough exercise?

Replies

• dedicated2014
    dedicated2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just joined, so I can't tell you much about how many calories or how much exercise you need to lose weight.

I have hypothyroidism as well. Without treatment, your metabolism is much slower than someone that doesn't have hypothyroidism. With treatment, it might still be a little slower but should be closer to normal than before. When I started Synthroid, I lost some weight (about ten pounds) but I think a large part of that was water, due to the fact that I had accumulated quite a bit of edema before I was diagnosed.

Do you have your T3 and T4 regularly checked? If you're exercising regularly, watching your intake, and still experiencing difficulties losing the weight, your hypothyroidism may not be adequately managed on your current dosage. Also, have you considered switching to Synthroid? Some people do better on Synthroid than on the generic. If you see a GP for your hypothyroidism, you should consider asking for a referral to an endocrinologist.
  • capergirl770
    capergirl770 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are your T4 levels normal now with meds.? I have hypothyroidism and had my synthroid increased 4 times. I lose max 7lbs and cant lose anymore. But my meds are still too low.. Once you are on the right dose, your metabolism should be normal. It takes some people(me unfortunately) a long time to return to normal.

Good Luck
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Iv been hypothyroid for 13 years. I am well dosed on
    Levothyroxine (UK) but I still struggle with the weight loss thing .. I am not hugely overweight .. Could do with losing half to one stone but I personally don't find it as easy as a regular person losing weight .. I think perseverance is the key.
    Xxx
  • Brownie_Monster
    Options
    This is good to know. I often hear a lot of horror stories about hypothyroid and not being able to lose weight, and continually gaining.

On a random side note, I just picked up a new bottle, because my dose of levo was slightly increased the they are bright pink! I'm easily pleased. :love:
  • lagcrg
    lagcrg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem for 12 years. Started after my last child was born. With your meds being watched and leveled as needed it will help you begin to lose if you just follow this site, just make sure you enter your goals to what you are actually doing in a week. Your weight loss may be slower at first or until you get the meds at a "normal" level. I lost 12 pounds over about 6 months when my meds were reading at "normal" levels, then I had to stop the meds and I gained it back in about 1 year. I just started meds again and started here again and will see how it goes. Keep up the good work just don't over do, and set small goals.
  • gr8ful6291
    gr8ful6291 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What are normal T4 and T3 levels. I see that word normal a lot. But what is normal?
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I thought hypothyroidism was treatable naturally as long as it wasn't removed since it was mostly an iodine deficiency?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5135200_treat-hypothyroidism-medication.html
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It depends - you can have an autoimmune version of it ( Hashimoto's ) which is not curable and can only be managed with medication and appropriate diet to keep the antibodies in check.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It's all about the medication. Once you are on the correct dosage your metabolism should be about average. But getting the dosage right is the tricky bit. It took my mum years of trial and error and complaints at the doctor to get her on what was right for her. It may well be harder in the meantime, but it's just important that you don't give up. I've seen what hypothyroidism can do if you just give up.

Good luck getting the medication sorted, and staying on track on your journey. There is no reason why you can't meet your goals, be proud of every positive step! :-)
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've been hypo for years and have been maintaining at about 3200-4000 calories a day for months, train hard an eat sensibly