BodyMedia Fit (or BodyBugg) Arm Indentations?

Options
I just recently stopped wearing my BodyMedia Fit armband after just under two years (one year and 11 months) of continual use. During that time I only ever took it off for showers. I never wore the armband excessively tight, pretty much just tight enough to feel like it was firm and wasn’t going to move. If I felt bloated or it felt like it was a little too tight, I adjusted it to be a touch looser again, and then would adjust again if needed to re-snug it up a bit after the bloating went down.

Within that two years I did about a year months of strength training while training for various races last year. I didn’t do arm measurements of any kind, but do know that my upper body strength increased continually throughout the time I was training. I wasn’t going for full-on muscle building, just general lifting while training for some 10 and 12K’s and a couple of half marathons. Generally I noticed a slight bit of leaness happening while doing the strength training, but again, nothing terribly noticeable beyond a steady increase in weight being lifted. But, that being said, I haven’t done any strength training since September since I started doing full time Couch to 5K training and that occupied all of my workout time through mid-December (and I just haven’t worked out since then because I’ve been enjoying some down time).

Now, the reason I give this background is because I have a very noticeable indentation in my arm where the BMF was. I had felt it while showering before, but figured it was just something that was temporary thing that I happened to be feeling because the armband had only just been taken off and went right back on after the shower. But it’s been off for a full two days now and there is still a visible indent in my upper arm.

I showed my arms to my husband last night and he noticed the indent straight away, then I flexed both arms had him feel them both to see if he noticed anything. He not only easily felt the indentation but said that it felt like the back of the muscle of my left arm felt slightly “deformed” compared to the one on my right.

So I’m wondering if anyone else that wore or is wearing a BodyMedia Fit (or BodyBugg) has experienced something similar. If so, did it eventually go away?

Replies

• hockeyem10
    Options
    I have the bodybugg and have been wearing mine just about everyday all day since July. I took it off this morning and noticed the same thing. Definite indentations where I was wearing it. Did your indentations ever go away? I think that it is temporary and I do lift weights so hoping that doing some bicep/triceps at the gym will help even it all out again. Yikes!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem after just wearing it for about three months. That was actually the reason I QUIT wearing it.

ETA: I quit wearing it about a year ago and I can still feel a difference between my two arms.
  • hockeyem10
    Options
    Yikes! Not what I wanted to hear. Well I have it off now and will be doing weights again on Wednesday so guess I will keep everyone posted. Hopefully it evens back out.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I move mine around. I switch arms (and change my "handedness" in my profile), put in in my bra next to my ribcage, and occasionally on my calf. No indentations to speak of.
  • sarahkalt88
    sarahkalt88 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My mother had a similar issue with her wedding band, the fluid under the dermis redistributes to accommodate the band, causing an indent. You'll have to switch arms for a few months and let it redistribute. It's nothing major though, its a normal occurrence with anything external that constricts the skin even slightly.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I only wear mine on my arm when working out and to sleep. The rest of the time I tuck it into the side band of my bra. Readings are virtually the same.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    When you put it in your bra, does it still count steps?

I also get the indents but switch arms before they become bad and they go away in a few days. I can't imagine is doing any permanent damage or change in the muscle.
  • hockeyem10
    Options
    Thanks Sarahkalt88, that makes me feel a lot better. Never thought about sticking it in the side band of my bra. Excellent idea! I think I am going to give this a whirl and then just rotate it around. Hopefully my left arm will go back to normal in a bit. Until then I am probably going to be completely fixated on it. LOL!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Whaaaat?!! It isn't temporary?! I've been wearing mine almost constantly for the past year and have the same thing.
  • hockeyem10
    Options
    Just an FYI...I spoke to my doctor the other day about it and she said that it is temporary and should go away with time. However, we are talking months not days before it starts to go back to normal.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yes it still counts the steps when you wear it in your bra.
  • hockeyem10
    Options
    Also, if anyone is having an issue with the bodybugg or other body media device...I was advised to report it to the manufacturer. Apparently there have been several complaints and they took down my name/email. There number is BodyMedia 888-850-2639
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Glad I saw this! I am planning on getting the BodyMedia band and love the bra band idea!
  • darby0501
    Options
    I know this is old, but I used to wear the bodybugg a few years ago and then stopped. I had the same indent, but it did eventually go away after a while. It is only temporary. I'm going to start to wear it again. It does take a while but it's not permanent.
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    ::stuffs bra with BMF::

Great idea! Because seriously? I'm tired of explaining to people what it is & why I'm wearing it. My go-to response now is "well... my parole officer said I have to wear it..."