Bananas

Options
I love bananas but I have heard that bananas should be avoided if you are trying to lose weight? I would rather eat a banana on the way home from work rather than pretzels or unsalted peanuts.

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    What was the reasoning of why they should be avoided? Eat the banana.
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    I love bananas, especially pre-workout! They are high sugar and pretty high calorie for a fruit, but they are great for potassium and other nutrients. I mean, don't eat like 12 of them at once but I'm assuming you weren't going to anyway... :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Crazy talk. Eat the banana.
  • Banana > Pretzels

Potassium, light sweetness > Crunchy cardboard air
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    ...are delicious!

The only thing with a banana is that as it ripens the natural sugars become more concentrated as they naturally breakdown and if you have to watch your sugars for health reasons you might want to avoid ripe bananas. Otherwise, enjoy!
  • MichaelWms
    MichaelWms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I eat two bannanas a day 5x a week...No problem. Like it was said earlier, good fiber, carb source, low fat and high nutrients. I especially like them pre/post workout. Its just like nature made it, so no processing. Just make sure you don't eat 12 in a row and/or they fit into your overall macro goals!
  • JustCallMeJaz
    JustCallMeJaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Its a misconception people have... You can eat bananas. The issue is bananas are high in fructose (sugar). In a nut shell... if you are eating whole natural foods, having a banana is awesome. However if you eat processed foods (which contain sugar) and also consume fruits high in sugar, your body will have too much sugar in its system... and too much sugar will turn into fat.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Cookies!
    Ingredients

~ 2 Medium Ripe Bananas

~ 1 Cup of Oatmeal

~ 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder

Directions

Mash your peeled bananas in a bowl with a fork ~ mash well! Add in the scoop of Perfect Fit and keep mixing. Depending on how ripe your bananas are, you may need to add a few drops of almond milk or water to make your dough the right consistency. Lastly, mix in the oats.

Use a spoon to drop the dough on your cookie sheet ~ be sure to coat it with non-stick cooking spray ~ and lightly press down to flatten. This helps it bake better!

Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown! If they are still a little mushy, just bake for a little bit longer.

Source: http://toneitup.com/blog.php?We-LOVE-Food-Friday-Your-3-Ingredient-Cookie-5609
  • peterchin2013
    Options
    This sounds good. What are the calories?
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bananas are delicious!! Eat them :love:

I LOVE them for breakfast!
  • peterchin2013
    Options
    I will have to see how a banana will affect my daily goal which is 27. I stopped eating Activia because it put me over my goal. Same goes for dried cranberries. I buy the generic ones but they are high in sugar as well. Can dried cranberries come without the sugar?
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a part of my basically every-single-day diet. Sometimes I have two bananas a day, sometimes one, sometimes three. It depends. I often eat a banana before or after a workout (before more commonly.) After, sometimes with some peanut butter for some extra protein and fat.

Still better than candy and pretzels.

I think my results speak for themselves.

-BootJockey
    -250lbs
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Bananas are fine, just make them fit your calorie goal.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I will have to see how a banana will affect my daily goal which is 27. I stopped eating Activia because it put me over my goal. Same goes for dried cranberries. I buy the generic ones but they are high in sugar as well. Can dried cranberries come without the sugar?

MFP's sugar recommendation is very low. Just keep your carbs in check unless you have a medical reason to limit sugar.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There is that stupid banner add that pops up on top here that always shows the banana and says "5 foods that cause belly fat", or something like that. I say eat them and enjoy.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    What was the reasoning of why they should be avoided? Eat the banana.

It's probably a certain advertisement I see with a certain fruit going bad.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    There is that stupid banner add that pops up on top here that always shows the banana and says "5 foods that cause belly fat", or something like that. I say eat them and enjoy.

DARN YOU! :laugh:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a staple in my diet and I have lost 40 pounds. My dad told me that during WWII young, underweight men would eat a lot of bananas the night before trying to join the military. I think bananas add a lot of food weight, not fat weight.
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    Eat the banana. Its a good source of potassium and other nutrients. While a higher calorie fruit if you have room for it who cares.