Can't stop thinking about food

Options
im ALWAYS thinking about food, and I can't stop it! It's really awful, because it makes me eat when I'm not even remotely hungry, which is definitely hindering my weight loss! I track all of t, but I really want to just be normal about food again. It seems like everyone else can just make healthy choices, eat when they're hungry and stop when they're not. But I can't do that because I'm thinking aout food ALL the freaking time. It really annoys me andi just want to think normally again!

Replies

• jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I saw this and ur pb post earlier...I think you might need to up your calories for s bit your body might be craving what it needs. Switch up your diet to more protein and good fat, less carbs and eliminate sugar. Are you taking a multivitamin?
  • sarbu24
    sarbu24 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating daily?
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    I'm the same way, my life centers around my calories. I have no advice, but I'm right there with you
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It's the mental thing definitely. It's not about being hungry or stopping. I just can't. Right now i'm totally full but I have 350 calories left so i'm thinking oh well i could make some popcorn blah blah...why??? I want to think about things that aren't food.

I don't think her problems have anything to do with upping calories (I know that's not my problem)..I think that's a response from someone who has no idea what it's like to be obsessed with food.
  • _Kate_P
    _Kate_P Posts: 132
    Options
    I aim between 1200-1600 per day and TRY to keep my carbs to no more than 30%(didn't happen today). When I was younger, I was "borderline anorexic" (had all the behaviors but my bmi was never low enough to be classified) so that could be part of it too
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    im ALWAYS thinking about food, and I can't stop it! It's really awful, because it makes me eat when I'm not even remotely hungry, which is definitely hindering my weight loss! I track all of t, but I really want to just be normal about food again. It seems like everyone else can just make healthy choices, eat when they're hungry and stop when they're not. But I can't do that because I'm thinking aout food ALL the freaking time. It really annoys me andi just want to think normally again!
    I know that feeling!!!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to plan out and enter all of my foods early in the day, so I'm not constantly obsessed with how much I have left to 'spend.' I can always adjust for changes if needed, but I don't worry about it as much when it is planned out ahead of time.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    thats interesting, i like that idea. any other ideas?
    I find it helpful to plan out and enter all of my foods early in the day, so I'm not constantly obsessed with how much I have left to 'spend.' I can always adjust for changes if needed, but I don't worry about it as much when it is planned out ahead of time.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think the planning is a great idea, because you don't have to stop to think about what to eat next.
    I also think that you just have to give it time. When you start something new (like an exercise program or a different way of eating) it's easy to get really focussed on that. So, give it time and look for other things to distract you - not food related though!
  • kurogami207176
    Options
    Maybe you can do something else to take your mind off food?
  • jhula222
    jhula222 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is a member of Food Addicts (FA) Anonymous, which is different from Overeaters Anonymous in exactly the ways people have suggested - in FA, the idea is to plan out each meal ahead of time. No sugar or flour goes into any meal, and you have meals already planned out ahead of time. This way, when you start thinking about all the yummy-but-bad-for-you stuff, you can remember that "oh well, i have already planned what I'm eating today and it's all ready for me." another tool they use in FA is asking for help - not just from friends and family, but from whatever energy it is that makes you feel good. Meditation helps.

Remember we're up against Food Scientists! Their entire life's goal is to get us addicted to their products, which is why I can't stop thinking about cookies. But what a waste of time, thinking about food all the time. Anyway, good luck! Talk to people, ask for help, meditate, and plan your meals!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself 'I'll have it later' and go and do something else. Over time, you do find that you'll actually forget all about it unless you are genuinely hungry.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    For me the "cure" is more protein---lots of protein first thing in the morning [even, especially if I don't feel like it].
    Protein seems to cut the craving for all kinds of junk.
    Also protein snacks throughout the day--I make them ahead of time so they are ready when the feeling starts.
    I also finding writing a journal helps---what is it I'm really feeling besides "hungry."

Good luck!
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Stay busy. Study meditation, which would train you to recognize your thoughts without judgment while not acting on them.

If you want to lose weight and maintain weight loss, you have to accept that you can't eat the way you presumably have eaten for years ever again. You'll enjoy food, but it simply can't occupy the same place in your life.

I figured this out when I reached an age when I could no longer eat what I wanted. It was either change or become overweight. It's the same principle.
  • Greeo123
    Greeo123 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have protein for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch and meat and vege for dinner, with raw almonds and berries for snacks.. i am not hungry and have all my food planned out but i just caht stop thinking about how i really feel like this or really feel like that.. i then end up snacking on naughty things and feeling guilty afterwards... not to mention i havent seen any results for 8 weeks so know that i am ruining my hard work.

I need help!
  • jennallyssa
    jennallyssa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Staying busy, like other people have said really does help! Laundry, cleaning, homework/studying, walking, taking time to pamper yourself (spa, nails, hair salon).
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    You guys are talking to a deactivated account
  • laurendutton4
    Options
    I totally agree with the comment about people not understanding unless they have this obsession/addiction themselves. I have been on and off dieting for years now. I am either on my diet or I am way off it, no in between! I have been noticing more success lately though. I like to buy all meals in advance if possible so I know almost exactly what I am going to eat in a day. I write it down and add up the calories and then stick to it! I know ready meals are bad for you but using them allows you to know the exact amount of calories you are eating. That and weighing out food which is time consuming. Also loud music helps if I feel a craving as it distracts my brain. I hope this helps and good luck :smile: