Zumba calories?

Options

Replies

• mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    There's no good Zumba class at my gym. Are there any good videos you guys can recommend?
  • charliesangel13
    charliesangel13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and found no matter how much effort I put into, it's never as high as anything given to me by MFP or and Zumba calorie burn calculator. I find MFP over states most burns with the exception of walking.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Cos aerobic dangling is much more fun!
    Lol I agree, dangling is fantastic.
    Try this page, it goes by weight, intensity and time.

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

I was just bout to suggest this website also. This is what I use to count my Zumba calories.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    There's no good Zumba class at my gym. Are there any good videos you guys can recommend?

I Zumba on my Xbox kinect. Love it because I can stay in my house and not look like a idiot in front of other people...
  • mmimmi1
    mmimmi1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba too and it also depends on the instructor. I have one instructor that makes the moves more intense and another who is more hip hoppy and I don't feel like I'm getting the same workout with both. I don't have a heart rate monitor but I never go with the website calories burned I substract 150-200 to be on the safe side and I do the high options of all the moves. I know the kinect zumba calories burned is NOT accurate. It shows me I burn 1500 calories sometimes ... it can't be right. If anyone knows how to set it up let me know and maybe it's in the settings where you put in your weight and hieght or whatever ... please let me know.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

Get a HRM for a more accurate read. However, even that I do not take seriously.

Everyone is different and I believe gyms tend to overhype calorie burns so that people run to their classes.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/ I use this. It's pretty close to what my HRM says if I'm honest about my efforts.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Cos aerobic dangling is much more fun!
    Lol I agree, dangling is fantastic.
    Try this page, it goes by weight, intensity and time.

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

YES! THIS!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    Before I found the actual ZUMBA workout on here and then the website, I used AEROBICS - HIGH INTENSITY for the class. Now, I am going to use my HRM to know but, the Aerobics works well as a good guideline. :-)
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM when I exercise. I am 239 and 5'11. I have gotten to the point now where it takes me more effort to burn the same amt of calories as before. They normally say an avg calorie burn is 100 calories for every 10 minutes. I know they say Zumba burns about a 1000 calories (and it might for the extremely obese) but I have never burned that many calories, no matter how hard I was going. I would think that you are burning more than 400 for an hour though. I have the dvds at home and I know in 33 minutes I normally burn anywhere from 335 - 370. If you do not have a HRM I would recommend if you have the money to pick one up. I love mine and really helps me focus!
  • honeydawn329
    honeydawn329 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Anyone you does Zumba and actually tries will burn A LOT of calories. When I first started mfp and did zumba I would go by what mfp had calculated. But when I got in my HRM I found I was burning a lot more! So the best advise I can give is get a heart rate monitor as soon as you can if you are wanting to keep better track of the calories you are burning. I got mine from ebay for $65 shipped. It is the Polar FT4 and it was super easy to program and even easier to use. It also gives added motivation (for me anyways).
  • horseloverdawn
    horseloverdawn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just started the Zumba Core for Wii. Its a blast and it tells me how many calories I have burned when I am done with my "class". It has been around 250 calories burned for 20 minutes.
  • Musicianess20
    Musicianess20 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was using the high impact aerobics option which told me I was burning around 400 cals a class (60 mins). I bought a HRM and found out I've been burning 700-800 cals a class. I would def advise buying a HRM. Makes a world of difference. I have a Polar.
  • proboho
    proboho Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Lots of helpful and interesting answers, thanks. I have an excellent teacher and really go for it. Have now decided to give myself 600 calories an hour. We do 90 mins on a Friday. That is really hardcore and great! X
  • Careyann72
    Careyann72 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't know about videos, but I do know the zumba games for the xbox 360 (you can get it for other systems too) is very good! Definitely a workout!!
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba too and it also depends on the instructor. I have one instructor that makes the moves more intense and another who is more hip hoppy and I don't feel like I'm getting the same workout with both. I don't have a heart rate monitor but I never go with the website calories burned I substract 150-200 to be on the safe side and I do the high options of all the moves. I know the kinect zumba calories burned is NOT accurate. It shows me I burn 1500 calories sometimes ... it can't be right. If anyone knows how to set it up let me know and maybe it's in the settings where you put in your weight and hieght or whatever ... please let me know.
    Xbox zumba has a glitch with calorie reads.... ever notice if ya only do a high intensity 20 min class it says like 46 calories. Im dripping sweat and puffing. I looked it up, and saw people recommended the site I posted early for more accuracy with the game.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Also available on the Wii - get Zumba 2 as Zumba 1 had some issues. You can get it with the belt (to hold the controller) for a good price on amazon:smile:

ETA 90 Mins!! I'd be DEAD
  • PhoenixRising7
    PhoenixRising7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Xbox zumba has a glitch with calorie reads.... ever notice if ya only do a high intensity 20 min class it says like 46 calories. Im dripping sweat and puffing. I looked it up, and saw people recommended the site I posted early for more accuracy with the game.

Definitely agree - especially with Zumba Core. I did a medium length class the other day (about 48 minutes) and got 4-5 stars on all of the songs. It told me I burned 98 calories. Obviously that was not true. Zumba Rush tends to read really high, while Core is way low (at least for me). I would never trust calorie counts from a game anyway because they have no idea how hard you are working. In the end, everything is just an estimate, but I'd rather use a HRM or even the website that allows you to put in your intensity to get a more realistic estimate.
  • Jene41
    Jene41 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have found a website that will calculate the number of calories that you have burned using your weight, number of minutes that you have worked out, and the intensity of your workout!

http://www.caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned

It also helps you figure walking and swimming!!

Hope this helps!!!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    think the Zumba 2 has fixed that, it certainly works out similar to the zumab website (it asks for weight and height when you set up the profile)