Protein Powder - Soy vs. Whey ?

Options
I recently starting focusing on macros and my protein intake way pretty low so i thought adding protein powder to my morning smooties and post weights shakes would be a good idea.

I bought Genisoy because it had very little carbs 1g per 25g protein, but then reading the recipes thread others posted most of you use Whey. Why whey over soy? I am thinking I made my selection without understanding the full scope.

Dr. Google was confusing me so I thought I'd come to the source :)

Replies

• ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Nobody?
  • akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from soy products because of the estrogen, so I use Jay Robb's chocolate protein powder. Pretty natural, very low in sugar, not as much weird heavy metals like most protein powders, and it tastes the best, in my opinion.

He has an egg white protein as well, but the whey has more grams of protein in it.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Either are good! Personally I find whey harder to digest so I go for soy.

There is a lot to be said that soy is bad however it's only bad for your body when you consume large quantities of it. There is a lot of articles and research for and against soy. Unless your doctor has told you to stay away from soy I would choose soy.

Whey tends to be a bit cheaper I believe than soy and usually has more protein per scoop.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    No difference between the two other than Soy coming from a plant and Whey coming from a cow. Keep in mind that Soy is just starting to penetrate the mainstream market which makes the dairy industry feel threaten to the point that they do everything in their power to make Soy look bad by making such claims that Soy causes cancer. The next time you're at the grocery store, compare dairy milk to soy milk and you'll see why the dairy industry feels the need to fund propaganda against Soy milk. Soy milk has a shelf life of 3 months and is generally around 1/3 the calories as milk.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Whey all the way! ...but I'm also soy intolerant so a soy protein power is a no go for me.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Whey is generally believed to be the faster absorbing and less expensive option. It is great for post workout as it gets into the muscles quickly. There is a lot of variety, ON has a natural line, and many have a full compliment of amino acids to help with recovery.

As soon as someone starts touting conspiracy theories as a reason to use/not use a product I tune out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Whey ....... because soy just tastes nasty
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    whey has a great amino acid profile.
  • patrnbabe
    patrnbabe Posts: 42
    Options
    There is a lot to be said that soy is bad however it's only bad for your body when you consume large quantities of it.

What constitutes "large quantities"? w/o a point of reference, the phrase is useless. Does the 1/4C of TVP I toss in with my oatmeal daily become a "large quantity" over time? 1/4C TVP with my oatmeal makes all the difference to me. Keeps my blood sugars level and prevents me from wanting to snack between breakfast and lunch, and blowing my calorie limit all to heck.

I'm not trying to be contentious in any way, I genuinely want to know. I am allergic (as defined by medical subdermal testing) to wheat, dairy & eggs, so I go for soy. I don't eat a lot of meat/fish for reasons of faith and health (ever read The China Study?), but I am not opposed to meat/fish in moderate to small quantities.
  • MAYONNAISESANDWICH
    Options
    Post-workout or first meal in the morning, go with a high-quality whey that has an extensive amino acid profile available. Isofusion is the best whey supplement that I have found for the price, of course Platinum Whey by Optimum and Isopure are pricier options. Are you on a low-carb diet? The reason I ask is because you really want to use a fast-acting simple carb with your whey supp if you are using it post-workout because of the transport involved. This really maximizes your muscle gain/maintenance and ensures that you arent wasting time with resistance training...assuming you are looking to increase your lean body mass, of course.. 2cents
  • joel3736
    joel3736 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Whichever is your preference. Many people lack the enzyme lactase, so they may shy away from whey and casein (the milk proteins), in favor of soy (plant based protein), however they now make some whey protein products and possibly casein, with little to no lactose. Vegetarians often go the route of soy depending on if their specific diet allows for milk products or not. So whichever is your preference. There are other decent protein powders as well such as: beef, egg, and rice proteins. You can even mix soy and whey together as there is moderate research to advocate mixing the 2.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think whey is the most inexpensive option. Plus, soy and I don't get along. But there are a lot of options when it comes to protein sources in protein powder. I like to mix it up. One day I'll drink a whey based protein powder, the next I'll use a vegetarian formula (like Vega One - which gets protein from pea, hemp and brown rice). I just tried the "Garden of Life" brand RAW Vegan protein powder and it was sooo chalky. I can only drink it if I blend it in a blender with a bunch of other stuff.
    Experiment and see what works best for you.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Soy is crap.

Get Whey Isolate. Or Casein.
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Post-workout or first meal in the morning, go with a high-quality whey that has an extensive amino acid profile available. Isofusion is the best whey supplement that I have found for the price, of course Platinum Whey by Optimum and Isopure are pricier options. Are you on a low-carb diet? The reason I ask is because you really want to use a fast-acting simple carb with your whey supp if you are using it post-workout because of the transport involved. This really maximizes your muscle gain/maintenance and ensures that you arent wasting time with resistance training...assuming you are looking to increase your lean body mass, of course.. 2cents

Not on a low carb diet, I just tend to eat too many, breads pasta etc are my weakness so in my attempt to up my protien I'd like to not have it up my carbs as well.

Thanks for the input, I will try a whey one as well and make sure I look at the amino acid profile. I've not actually checked my body fat % my goals are simply to get stronger and faster and look/feel better.
  • kimraluna
    Options
    Neither. There is tons of information that says soy is unsafe, then other information that says it safe. Too much conflicting information so I avoid it. Whey is very acidic. When you exercise you body creates lactic acid, putting something acidic into your body will make your muscles even more sore than normal. I recommend hemp protein, sprouted brown rice protein, or yellow pea protein (garbanzo bean protein). A combination of them would be the best. I take a soy free, dairy free, gluten free shake right now, and I love it.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I use soy, whey makes my stomach upset. Soy is also a complete protein, most people that use soy do so because of dairy or egg allergies or they are vegetarian or vegan. Personally I love it and there is no nasty taste like you get with whey. I use GNC soy isolate, gmo-free. And pay no attention to those people scared of soy because of "estrogen", that's just a big lie made up by the dairy and meat industry to scare people off...of course...those same industries won't tell you that most meat and dairy has real animal hormones in it, including estrogen..soy is a plant...it's hormones are not related to humans. But thats fine if people want to be scared of soy. More for everyone else. it's also cheaper than whey.
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'd go for whey. While its anecdotal, my friend used to drink miso soup everyday and stopped menstruating for about 7 months due to the way the excess soy interacted with her hormones (specifically estrogen) <---her doctor explained this to her. She cut out the miso soup, and everything went back to normal.

And to the person who said it's a lie that soy intake affects hormones....EVERYTHING we eat affects our hormones.

So yeah, I'd just go for whey. Or lots of egg whites and fish (what I choose). Or whatever works best for you.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I'd go for whey. While its anecdotal, my friend used to drink miso soup everyday and stopped menstruating for about 7 months due to the way the excess soy interacted with her hormones (specifically estrogen) <---her doctor explained this to her. She cut out the miso soup, and everything went back to normal.

And to the person who said it's a lie that soy intake affects hormones....EVERYTHING we eat affects our hormones.

So yeah, I'd just go for whey. Or lots of egg whites and fish (what I choose). Or whatever works best for you.

Then I guess whey affects hormones too, go figure. To each their own. I haven't grown an extra boob or anything from soy so it's okay for me.
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Then I guess whey affects hormones too, go figure. To each their own. I haven't grown an extra boob or anything from soy so it's okay for me.

I can't tell if you were trying to be snarky in your response, but this MFP, so such is life. But anyways, the way different foods interact with our bodies is pretty interesting. Whey definitely affects hormones. Some foods affect hormones positively and some negatively, depending upon individual genetics. I think it's cool that our bodies are so complex.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

I can't tell if you were trying to be snarky in your response, but this MFP, so such is life. But anyways, the way different foods interact with our bodies is pretty interesting. Whey definitely affects hormones. Some foods affect hormones positively and some negatively, depending upon individual genetics. I think it's cool that our bodies are so complex.

It was a joke but I found it relevant since you used a anecdote from someone who ate soy before so I thought I'd throw in my experience. If that changes I'll be sure to make a big post about it. Of course those with food allergies, ect should stay away from foods they know aggravate them. The thing is, just watch that goes in your body, like the outcome, stick with it, don't like it, don't do it.