5k races family friendly?

Options
mltdown
mltdown Posts: 311 Member
I am registered for quite a few 5k races this summer, I was wondering if people think that it's acceptable to bring small children under 5. And run with them in a jogging stroller? I have never brought my children with me on a race before however I don't have much options for child care. An example of some of the races I am signed up for is: color run, glow run, run for your life ect. What's your opinion ?

Replies

• larajcoffee
    Options
    Good afternoon. I am a running mom and I started a stroller friendly race calendar. I have more than 1000 races list thus far. You can search by state and distance. Here is the URL http://laracoffee.com/jog-stroller-friendly-race-calendar/.
  • haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Where I live, whether a stroller is ok is usually dependent upon the race. Usually the larger, more professionally run races will specify whether strollers are ok. Most local races here allow strollers and give instructions for stroller runners to start in the back. I would check the race websites because they will probably tell you.

I have run a few 5Ks with a double jogger and never had any problems. Now that I run solo, I always try to encourage the people I see pushing strollers since they are doing more work than most of us our there!

Re: the color run, you may want to try to come up with another option if you have fondness for your stroller since it will probably end up covered in paint! =)

Edit: I just checked the FAQ of The Color Run 5Ks and it says strollers are welcome and kids under 5 run free with a parent.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon. I am a running mom and I started a stroller friendly race calendar. I have more than 1000 races list thus far. You can search by state and distance. Here is the URL http://laracoffee.com/jog-stroller-friendly-race-calendar/.

I will be checking your link as I'm also a running mom.

Generally for races where it isn't stated if joggers are welcome or not, I email the race organizers and ask. When it is allowed I go to the very back of the pack. It's very motivating to pass tons of people with the jogger to get to the middle, where I usually finish.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I am registered for quite a few 5k races this summer, I was wondering if people think that it's acceptable to bring small children under 5. And run with them in a jogging stroller? I have never brought my children with me on a race before however I don't have much options for child care. An example of some of the races I am signed up for is: color run, glow run, run for your life ect. What's your opinion ?

i run with a friend and her 10 month old. the "3 of us" have done several races together. the baby always crosses the finish line first. you do want to stand towards the back so you're not in the way of runners in the beginning (this is what we do)

color run - no (unless you want to spend the next week washing the stroller. but this is IMO.
    glow run - it's at night so not sure on that one (i can't imagine there will be street lights everywhere - a bit dangerous not sure)

i would say anything that's a typical 5k then yes bring your child along in the stroller.