Nutrisystem

Options
2»

Replies

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The problem I forsee is this:

You say you're stable right now. That's good - you know what works for where you are nowl.

So: You go on Nutrisystem, eat VLC for however long. Your metabolism slows from the VLC program, meaning that when you finish Nutrisystem and go back on real food .... what *was* balance before NS ... will NOT be balance afterwards. Your BMR will be significantly lower, and it will be easier to put on weight eating the way you used to. You'll have to have the control to slowly ramp your calories back up from nutrisystem levels to wherever maintenance lies. You'll be in uncertain territory, trying to figure out what works now, with real food, not prepacked, measured food.
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Nutrisystem diet. I love it. And I personally love the food. It is not for everyone though. I am only doing 1-2 months for a kick start. I would not recommend for long term. Yes, it does teach you portion control. My body is adjusting to the smaller portions and visually I see I am getting less. I add in lean meats, cheese, milk, nuts, veggies, fruits. So I am in no way starving. Plus, I get my desert at the end of the day.
    For you out there dissing Nutrisystem, you should stop. Just because, it's not for you doesn't mean it can't be for someone else. And I'm guessing that all those people who gained the weight back would have gained it back anyway. They weren't mentally ready for the change.
    You can still be social with friends while eating this way. Pick and choose what will be easy to take out and eat with your friends. I went to Mcdonalds yesterday and had coffee and my powerfuel of healthy nuts. I was not tempted to eat bad.
    For a quick start to a long term health change this is good. Again, though it depends on each person.
  • jstiely
    jstiely Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm using the Nutrisystem diet. I love it. And I personally love the food. It is not for everyone though. I am only doing 1-2 months for a kick start. I would not recommend for long term. Yes, it does teach you portion control. My body is adjusting to the smaller portions and visually I see I am getting less. I add in lean meats, cheese, milk, nuts, veggies, fruits. So I am in no way starving. Plus, I get my desert at the end of the day.
    For you out there dissing Nutrisystem, you should stop. Just because, it's not for you doesn't mean it can't be for someone else. And I'm guessing that all those people who gained the weight back would have gained it back anyway. They weren't mentally ready for the change.
    You can still be social with friends while eating this way. Pick and choose what will be easy to take out and eat with your friends. I went to Mcdonalds yesterday and had coffee and my powerfuel of healthy nuts. I was not tempted to eat bad.
    For a quick start to a long term health change this is good. Again, though it depends on each person.

AGREED! I'm doing it too and I like the food. I find the few options I like and order just those items. I also order the frozen foods and they give a lot of variety. I did this years ago and the food is WAY better now! My cravings have lowered, I'm not hungry at all, and it is a great jumpstart. Also, regarding price...you can buy 1/2 price gift cards at Costco. It costs me the same as regular groceries or eating out did before. And some nights I go out with my friends and just choose something healthier. Go for it. It's your choice!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Give a man a fish, he eats for today. Teach a man to fish, he eats for the rest of this life

teach_a_man_to_fish_greeting_card.jpg?color=NA&height=460&width=460
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You have got to learn how to eat regular food with a deficit. Even if you do Nutri-System and lose your weight, you will still have to end up learning about portion sizes, calories, exercise, etc. So why not start now doing it the right way.

No one I know personally that has done NS ever kept their weight off. That's why it has to be a lifestyle change and not a diet program.

Agreed in full. No one I know who has done NS or Jenny Craig or any of these things has been able to keep it off either.

The problem is you do not learn how to do it yourself and you don't get into the habit of doing it for yourself. You learn nothing about calories, BMR, and all the other wonderful numbers. You learn nothing about why you should make a point to eat certain foods, and totally avoid other certain things. You don't learn how to sub out ingredients and make alterations so that you can still enjoy meals that might otherwise be "bad". You just have take what they tell you to eat and you eat it. No thanks.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Rather than make all my food decisions for me, teach me how to make them for myself, so I can continue to do so - for life.

Those weight loss places don't want you to know how to do it yourself.
    That's when they stop getting your money. :laugh:

This is not hard to do AT ALL and it's free, and I am in control of what I buy and eat.
    Not only that, but I understand how to do things myself, I understand why i can or cannot do other things and I understand more of how this whole process works and how to now KEEP from putting pounds back on.
    I wanted to stop putting so much prepackaged garbage into my face, not pay someone to MAKE me do it. LOL