exercise for herniated disks/low back pain

Options
last year and about 6 years prior to that i injured my lower back ( herniated disks) although the pain is gone now, as in i can function... i have limited flexibility of my left side of my body, i have been stretching my legs every day twice a day since most of my limitations are in my left leg... but after months of this i find i am still not that flexible... has anyone found great benifits of a certain routine or anything over time? ive heard great thing of yoga so i am going to start that, but i guess, i was wondering if over a long period of time, did yoga or any exercise make your symptoms disappear..

Replies

• tararoach40
    tararoach40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've had herniated disks in my lower back for about 6 years now as well; my older brother also had about 5 herniated disks in his back that he ended up having surgery on. Both of us were University Athletes at D2 schools, and we participated in about every activity (only thing we were limited in were free weights or weight bearing: hang cleans, squats with weights on shoulders, dead lifting, good mornings, etc.). Otherwise, I did everything & still do. I work out 6 times a day (weight lifting, circuit training, cardio) & working out is honestly the best healer. When I was done with basketball I took a break & that is when I noticed the most pain happening, but once I got back on the workout routines: I FEEL AMAZING (unless its a back day, than might be popping a couple IBProfen, HAHA).

Anyway, just know your limits & know what makes it hurt and dont do it. Running has really loosened everything up, yoga is ALWAYS a great workout. But I would say you can do anything, AS LONG AS IT DOESNT HURT!!! =]] Goodluck!
  • d_dave_c
    d_dave_c Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Even though you've been doing some stretching, I would recommend some core strengthening exercises prior to jumping right into yoga. Many yoga poses require a strong core to hold correctly, and doing them improperly can exacerbate lower back problems. There was a NYT article not long ago about all the back problems created by people jumping into yoga without the proper guidance or background.

Start by adding some core exercises you're doing with your stretches and SLOWLY add more or more strenuous exercises. The Mayo Clinic web site has some great back exercises to start with. This will start to help strengthen the muscles used for stability. You may want to look at the ergonomics at your job if you sit a lot or do repetitious tasks. A friend who is a physical therapist specializing in back pain said that they thought that they were going to see old people all day, but they mostly see 35-40 year-old computer programmers.

Once you're really pain free, try to find a work out program that works for you that starts out low-impact and progresses naturally. I'm in the 4th week of the Jillian Michaels Revolution and so far I think the pace is pretty good.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    Total Body Solution from BEACH BODIES
  • Kamile69
    Kamile69 Posts: 87
    Options
    I have lower back pain due to nerve bundles sending signals down to my feet to not work.

The best exercise that I do is walking and I walk a lot!
  • johnnybriped
    johnnybriped Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i used to have low back pain every day...then i started core and weight traning,pain free for 3yrs now :smile: :smile:
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have been in PT a few times for a bulging (not yet herniated) disk. They started me with the hand bike as a warm up, then usually bridges, leg lifts in every direction(you may not even be able to get your leg off the floor on the first try, just keep trying), sit-ups (the real ones, not crunches), stretches for hamstrings & calves. When I was able to do all of those pain free, they moved me to some weight training for my shoulders & chest mostly.

The PT explained a few things to me which I carry with me: 1. Strong core is the key to a strong back, 2. weak shoulders cause me to shift the weight-bearing to my low back, causing pain, 3. Stairmaster is the best cardio for someone with back pain, as it keeps you in a vertical orientation, rather than leaning forward to keep pace with the treadmill or elliptical.
  • kbrhelker23
    Options
    thank you all, i will work on my core , the strong sholders thing makes sense, luckily ive been already working on those...staying active ... all great advice, thank you all