Eating BMR

Options
So, I was recently reading in the answers to all your questions link and read that you should eat at least your BMR. Well, after putting my information into MFP, it told me to eat 1200 calories, but the MFP BMR calculator says my BMR is 1735. Should I then eat at least 1735 to keep from entering into starvation mode? And I would still eat my exercise calories too? Would this help reduce plateaus?

Note: I did research TDEE but that is just way to complicated for me. It boggles my mind. Just an FYI to anyone who would suggest that. Thanks.

Replies

• kaylakaminski
    Options
    In my opinion, if BMR is the amount of calories that a hospital would feed you in A COMA - that is the BARE minimum to be alive - is that what you want to sustain your work days? Your time with your loved ones? THEN exercise? I don't think anyone should eat below. You are burning more than your BMR daily regardless of what you do. I would eat slightly over my BMR and eat most of my exercise cals back on the days I work out. I am doing TDEE-20% right now though but it's similar.
  • LynneseLooksgood
    Options
    Plug your calculations in at: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ and see what comes up there.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If you set your activity level as sedentary on the BMR calculator, then yes, you should eat back your exercise calories.