does a cup of tea count as water

Options
Does my 8 ounce cup of tea count as 8 ounces of water? Or in addition to my tea do I need to drink the water. I know water alone is better, I was just wondering. Thank you

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I drink herbal tea with a few drops of liquid stevia as sweetner and I count it towards my water amount. I would think it'd be a personal preference sort of thing.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Any fluid counts as fluid, including fluid in fruit, vegetables, fish, meat etc.

Our bodies are clever enough to recognise that, the whole 'it must be water and only water to count as fluid' thing is utter nonsense.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    What do you think, OP? Does the addition of the tea to the water change the chemical compound such that your body cannot utilize the water?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It counts as water. It may have some small caloric impact (probably less than 5 calories unless you're adding milk or sugar) which you may find it worthwhile to track. There's nothing particularly magical about water relative to other methods of maintaining hydration.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just stay hydrated and don't obsess about ridiculous things.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    a cup of tea is acup of tea- w hich as 0 calories
    its made with water and has alot
    BUT NO
  • Wowat50
    Wowat50 Posts: 16
    Options
    Don't know if it matters or not. But in any case I do try to drink at least 64 ounce of pure water a day and stay away from sodas. I have one every now and then but no more than one in a day. I find the more water I drink, the more I crave it. Getting my 64 ounces a day in is no longer a hassle. I'm even going to the restroom less often now that my body is used to it.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    The common wisdom is not to count caffeinated beverages but that it's OK to count non-caffeinated beverages because caffeine is a diuretic.

However, more recent evidence suggests this is true only at very high doses (the equivalent of 5-7 cups of coffee a day) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    does it have water in it?
  • MsCristie
    MsCristie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I appreciate you answering my question. I felt that it counts but had someone else tell me it doesn't so I thought I'd ask. :smile:
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    What do you think, OP? Does the addition of the tea to the water change the chemical compound such that your body cannot utilize the water?

This.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes it is .
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

THIS
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    a cup of tea is acup of tea- w hich as 0 calories
    its made with water and has alot
    BUT NO

Why? If I ate the tea leaves then drank the water they'd still mix in my stomach but by your logic it would count as water.

If you use the logic you're stating, only water drank on a completely empty stomach classes as water otherwise it's mixing with food.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I appreciate you answering my question. I felt that it counts but had someone else tell me it doesn't so I thought I'd ask. :smile:

Yeah, there is a common misconception that gets perpetuated that water that has caffeine in it does not count, but that is not supported by the scientific evidence or the common logic of it (when you break it down and think about it).
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I count it
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    At school we were told that your body gets most of the water it needs from food (60? perhaps? not sure though) and the rest from drinks. By this, then it would count as water. It all gets muddled in your stomach anyway!

I tend not to count it as personal preference because I drink too much. Today I've had 2.5litres water as well as 10 cups of tea and will probably have a few more before bed (eek).
  • lanecross
    Options
    It takes your body longer to breakdown the water from any type of mixed drink but eventually water is the result and therefore counts. Caffeine will reduce hydration and will not provide as much water for use by your body as water or beverages without caffeine. Don't know of any research that tries to guess the difference but every doctor will warn against drinking too much caffeine.

Yes it counts but isn't as fast or good for your body as plain water.

Please use regular or tap water or a filter, we have WAY more plastic pollution than any one can imagine and while some plastics are recyclable, they have limited cycles unlike glass or aluminum.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Your body uses it as water so why not count it?