3 square meals vs 3 small meals + snacks?

Options
JoRumbles
JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
Hi,

I'm on 1,800 cals per day. I'm finding that most "healthy" meal ideas come around the 300 to 400 cal mark so for example today my breakfast, lunch and dinner were all around 350cals.

This obviously leaves me a big deficit....and hungry....so today my snacks came to over 600 cals, and a lot of that was consumed this evening!! This seems like a lot for snacks! I've just eaten for supper two thick oat cakes with chevre blanc (40g) and a smidge of sweet chilli sauce.

What do you prefer? 3 bigger meals (say 400 for breakfast, 600 for lunch and 800 for dinner) or 3 small meals and lots of snacks? Is there an advantage to one over the other?

Thanks

Replies

• Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do what works best for you and your lifestyle. I am a student that often doesn't have time for a full sized meal in between classes. So the smaller, more frequent meals and snacking is ideal for me. I also hate feeling stuffed. But my partner is much more of a three squares a day.

As long as the food you eat can fit it into your dietary and fitness goals, you are good!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Whatever's going to work for you to get the calories you need. Timing really is irrelevant. I prefer to eat throughout the day...other's prefer to fast until noon or 1 PM and then chow down...it really just depends on you.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If U snack a lot in the evening, eat more at dinner.
    It looks strange but i eat more then ever.
    Keep eating the healty meals but make the portions bigger.
  • iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What works best for me is 3 meals and 1 snack around 3:30-4:00 since I often exercise late afternoon/early evening. If I exercise earlier or it is a rest day, I skip the snack unless I am very hungry. This works for me because eating more often keeps me thinking about food more often. I don't want food to be my focus.

It took some trial and error to learn what kind of meals would "stick with me" for 4-6 hours. I realize that this is an individual thing, but this works best for me.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I eat 6-7 times a day. Breakfast, lunch and dinner (all between 300-400 calories) and 3 or 4 snacks (150-250 calories each). My base is 1500 calories and I will almost always eat the majority of my exercise calories.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this today. I think for me that I'd rather have more food and less often. I'm a volume eater and feel more satiated on bigger portions. So I'm going to try and eat three meals/day with a snack or two. This way I'm full longer and not always thinking about when I have to eat next or WHAT I'm going to eat next! At least this is my plan for the week!!!
  • kmcr097
    kmcr097 Posts: 1
    Options
    I usually eat 5 times a day. My food day looks kind of like this:
    Breakfast - 250 cal
    2nd Breakfast - 250 cal
    Lunch - 350 cal
    2nd Lunch - 250 cal
    Dinner - whatever I have left!
    This is important for me because I have blood sugar issues, and the doctor has told me I have to eat every three hours. I struggled with this for a long time because I didn't feel good enough eating snacks, they didn't keep my blood sugar high enough. But when I tried to eat more I was consuming too many calories. But eating four small meals and one big meal I have been able to keep my calorie count low and my energy high. And it has been working very well for me so far. I'm feeling great and for the first time in my life am having success with a diet.
  • chutch93
    chutch93 Posts: 9
    Options
    there is no advantage to either the only thing that matters is your net calories p/day. I prefer 3 meals because thats what works for me however some may eat fewer and some more. It all comes down to portion size and again your net.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i eat smaller every few hours, i hate having a full feeling.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Meal timing/frequency is personal preference. Do whatever helps you stay on track.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    My breakfast and lunch is usually around 300-350, I have a small afternoon snack...between 100-250...and then supper is usually around 500-650 and then another evening snack that's about 150-200 if I'm hungry. I generally eat between 1600-1750/day.I prefer to space my food out so I'm eating every 2 - 2.5 hours. You need to do what works for you...I like a bigger supper so I feel more full in the evening and don't always want an evening snack.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    4 meals,4 hours apart.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Well today I had 3 bigger meals and no snacks except tea/decaf coffee and I think I prefered that. I had around 450cals for breakfast and lunch and nearly 700 for dinner. I spilt breakfast in two- porridge before my workout and toast and peanut butter after.

I like a big dinner. So I think I will try to make my dinners between 600 and 800 calories for the time being.

Thanks everyone