"Fat" Days vs. "Skinny" Days

Options
Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and I think, "Wow. I've come so far. I can totally have a flat stomach by summer." And other times, I look at myself and think "Who am I kidding? I'll be lucky if I've lost any inches by Christmas." I guess sometimes I just feel like I look enormous and other times I feel like a model. The problem is, usually when I feel enormous, I also feel like giving up. I want to just eat everything in sight and not care anymore because in my mind, what I've been doing isn't working. Does anyone else have this problem? I try and tell myself that there is no way that I could have gained three inches around my stomach in like 12 hours and have it actually be fat (I'm not measuring, just eye approximations) but I don't understand why my eyes are playing tricks on me. Does anyone else have this, and how do you deal with it if you do? Thank you!!

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think this stems from an unhealthy body image in our own heads. I do the same thing. The trick is to change your own body image - which takes time and practice, but is totally do-able.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Take a picture of yourself on "fat days" and set it next to a picture of you at your highest weight.

Seriously.

I do this every time I feel like giving up. And every time, I still look smaller than when I started.

Another habit I've picked up is measuring myself when I feel awful. Sometimes I even find progress!
  • cavalie82
    Options
    Go over your weightloss goals and what your reasons were to lose weight in the first place. You have come this far, you CAN reach your goal weight. Its hard at times but it will be all worth it in the end. If you have any before pictures, or clothes that you use to fit into before you began your weightloss journey, take a good look at them. This is always helps me to get motivated again.

Best of Luck!! You can do it!!
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    sometimes i have this problem also, i always take pics on my good days and it makes me realize how well ive done, but sometimes normally from being bloated, or when jeans still dont fit that should i feel upset. i tell myself no matter what happends im not giving up, ive had some terrible days but as long as i can make the next day and the day after that count it will be okay :)
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    uff my problem everyday...

sometimes I don't like what I look in the mirrow and others days I love it T_T
  • joydetlor
    Options
    I think sometimes we get conflicting messages about how we are doing...lol. The other day I found some of my old clothes and just assumed that since they had been packed for years and I had gained weight over the last few years there was no WAY they would fit. Then I hit something I didn't want to give up so I tried it on 'just in case'. It FIT! I was so excited I tried on more! Thats when I realized that my diet WAS actually working. I treated myself to a couple new pairs of jeans and felt great. A few days later I realized that I hadn't logged my measurement in MFP so I got out the measuring tape confident that I would have lost at least an inch or two. NOPE! Nothing, Nada. No change in measurement at all even though I had lost 11 pounds at the point and my old clothes now fit. It was a bit depressing until I reminded myself that I feel better and I look better so the measurements aren't important. I'm assuming that once I tone up my tummy that problem will fix itself. I hope.
    My point is, we all have days when we just aren't motivated or feeling great, you can't judge yourself by those days because everything feels more BLAH on those days, just get through them and dont think about it.
  • CoachColin
    Options
    It could just be that on those days you have more or less water weight depending on how much sodium you took in vs how much you burned. Also the less water you drink the more water weight you'll retain which can make you look a little bloated.
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have those days, but my tape measure reassures me whether it's just in my head or not. (Sometimes it's not and I'm just bloated lol)
  • enchanted_daydream
    enchanted_daydream Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this! Some days I am feeling fantastic- like I've come so far! and other days I'm feel no different from my highest weight...I think it is helpful to recognize that what you are feeling may be temporary. Just keep working toward your goals and don't let it mess with you. I went shopping on a skinny day and it did not turn out well money wise hehe :)
  • blwalton70
    blwalton70 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So crazy you posted this cause I have felt this way ALL day today! Like my stomach is huge! Two days ago, I felt fine!!!! I think hormone changes and TOM play a big role in his we women view ourselves. No doubt.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way all the time! It's due to a poor body image and my roller coaster of emotions. Nothing has been easy for me so far, so I just keep trying, even if I spend some of the time beating myself up, I also spend some time realizing how far I've come.