30 Day Shred- Bad Knees!

Options
Hey Guys.
I finished D7L1 of the 30DS today and my knees are really starting to hurt. Other than take a rest day, does anyone have tips on what I could do to help it?

Replies

• Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Do more stretches after the workout. Did you injure it during the workout or is it sore from using it?
  • NicoleMGetsFit
    NicoleMGetsFit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just sore. I'm thinking I should do knee circles afterwards because they're in the warm up but not the cool down... they might help. I haven't injured so if I can push through I'd rather do so.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want to take a rest day, exactly? The program was designed to be done 3-4 days a week with 1-2 days cardio. I would definitely take at least one day off a week and let your body recover.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You should listen to your body or else you risk your knees getting worse (I know the 30DS killed my knees too). I'd recommend modifying the moves that make your knees sore. I did a lot of running in place, jumping jacks and punches because my knees were fine with it. Also make sure your form for lunges/squats is correct. Good luck!
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees also, the only suggestion I can offer is to modify any moves that put strain on the knees, I modify some moves so much that I'm basically stepping them out (like the butt kicks) ... Although I do step with enthusiasm ...... I'm almost finished Level 2 and Ive had badly swollen knees on some days ... good luck, the results are well worth it :) I take the weekends off to let my knees recover :)
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys.
    I finished D7L1 of the 30DS today and my knees are really starting to hurt. Other than take a rest day, does anyone have tips on what I could do to help it?

I have bad knees too and no intention of injuring them just because Jillian sneers at modifications. I do other things during the aerobics protions that get me wamred up. Don't hurt your knees. You need your knees.
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I did the shred with bad knees and ibuprofen helped me a lot. And actually, I really believe the shred made my knees stronger. Just be mindful of jumping jacks and the other exercises that require you to come down hard on your knees. You can always do other cardio like running in place.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's not your body, it's your kit. Are you wearing the right shoes. I only say this because I started 30ds in some flimsy shoes and it killed my knees badly, I quit on day 6. A few years on, I am doing it again at about the same size with no probs and better shoes.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Just sore. I'm thinking I should do knee circles afterwards because they're in the warm up but not the cool down... they might help. I haven't injured so if I can push through I'd rather do so.

Personally I avoid the knee circles altogether. I don't know what your knee issues are but my knees do not like to be twisted and do not like Jillian's knee circles.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If its the bouncing, cardio parts that hurt the knees, a rebounder could help. If its the lunges and squats, just don't go as low.
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I had prevoisly bad knees and then after the 30ds they were getting worse at times. Here is what I did and it helped take the pain away.

Extra stretching after
    soak in epsom salt bath
    magnesium( it relaxes muscles)
    self massage all around knees and calves and thighs( this really helps a lot)
    :flowerforyou:

Today i jump on a rebounder( mini Tramp) everyday
    knees are MUCH better
    Hope your knees get better soon!!
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Make sure you plant the heels of your feet doing the squats and lunges. The knee circles might not be a good idea for you, I don't do them either. The elliptical and bicycle are good ways to strengthen the knees. Good luck.
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was talking to the Owner/Trainer at my gym last night. When I told her I was doing the 30DS, she was concerned about the jumping and effect on knees. Told me to watch it and modify. At 54, I am watching it. I use a mini-tramp for all the high knees, twists, butt kicks, etc. Jumping jacks - I do high knees on the mini-tramp. Level three - I do not do the Rock Star - I revert back to the sumo squats. You know your body - so listen to it. There is a difference between muscle fatigue and out right hurt.
  • NicoleMGetsFit
    NicoleMGetsFit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice.
    To be safe I've decided to give myself a rest today!
  • Yooperm35
    Options
    I would definitely have rest days. I had 2 rest days a week while doing 30DS. Your muscles need time to repair. Have you thought of trying Glucosamine Chondroitin? I have problems with one of my knees. My doctor said my MRI showed small unusual tears in my meniscus, the ortho said it was nothing to be concerned about and sent me for physical therapy. I started taking the glucosamine and my knee is 90% better. The PT did nothing for me. It felt the same as when I started.
  • Matholo425
    Matholo425 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    its my first day of 30DS,my whole body is sore,i dont think i can make it tomorrow.how long does it take to feel better.
  • Yooperm35
    Options
    its my first day of 30DS,my whole body is sore,i dont think i can make it tomorrow.how long does it take to feel better.
    three days. Take some tylenol and soak in the tub with epsom salt
  • luckylei
    luckylei Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with your knees!! I took a rest day in L1 and I was good as new after that. If you are afraid that you will lose your momentum by taking a day off, go for a walk or hit an elliptical or stationary bike.
  • sarah1967jacobs
    sarah1967jacobs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day shread for three days, then had to stop as my knees where so bad I couldn't walk down the stairs without wincing! Left it for four days, did it again today and my left knee has swollen! Shame, I liked the workout :smile: