Trying to Listen to my Body

Options
I have typically been a very active girl until I was diagnosed with blood clots about 3 months ago. At that point I had to stop everything and repair. 3 weeks ago I started back up and this week I am feeling like my body weighs 500 pounds of concrete. My legs are hard to move and I feel like I am completely out of shape (worse than before I was diagnosed). I have had a lot of success for the past three weeks and I do not want to fall into a rut of not working out/eating well. Are there any suggestions on how to work with a body that is not on the same page as my drive? Thank you in advance.

Replies

• 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the best thing to do is ask your doctor.
  • ApocolypseCow
    ApocolypseCow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My doctor said that they have cleared up and I am good for exercise. The only reason I brought that up is to explain that there were 2 months of me not doing anything. I am now trying to get back into it and it seems that I am not able to do what I used to do. I am looking for suggestions on how to ease back into exercise without feeling like I am not doing enough.
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Are you basically trying to pick up where you left off before? Or are you trying to build back up again?

You may just be pushing harder than your body is really ready for at this point, you may need to back off some until your body gets used to working out again. Two months is enough for muscles to get used to not being worked and start to atrophy, especially if they were used to vigorous workouts on a regular basis.

That's just my thoughts on the matter. You probably should talk to your doc, and explain the feelings you are having. He/she may have a medical explanation for it.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    start at the begining.
    walking before jogging before running.
    you'll get there. there's no reason to rush yourself.
  • ApocolypseCow
    ApocolypseCow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

@RedneckMomma7 - this is exactly what I was looking for. When starting back up I did the C25K rather than just running/jogging. It's interesting about muscle atrophy, I wasn't sure as too how long that took; some people say 3 days, some 3 months.
    @glovepuppet - Thanks, I will stop my C25K (*sniff*) and just walk. I'll probably take some time off and then keep up my BootCamp, Yoga, and Ab class but do all non-impact and slow down.