heart rate watch

Options
Ok i have a heart monitor watch, now what? I'm supposed to stay at a certain # during my workout? Somebody pleae explain the phenomenom!

Replies

• timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    HRM just helps kinda keep you in line...push you more when you need it (or as hot as it has been lately) help you slow down if needed....and even though MFP does a great job being pretty accurate with calories for exercise....each of us exercise at different intensities...so wearing your HRM (one that includes a watch and chest strap are usually the best)...it will give you your exact calories and fat burned along with other things....I love my HRM....one of the best investments I've made yet!! hope this helps!!
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I use it to keep myself in what I want me heart rate to be while I work out and even more so to track calories, but it goes hand in hand. When I do elliptical, I try to keep it betwee 136 and 149 for most of my workout. When I run, I have no control over my heart rate lol.
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    ok i just have a "watch" i need the chest strap too?? uh oh back to the store i go! I really want to see the full benefits of using one of these.

Thanks!
  • abricklin
    Options
    ok i just have a "watch" i need the chest strap too?? uh oh back to the store i go! I really want to see the full benefits of using one of these.

Thanks!

I believe the watch only ones work too but watch plus strap are most accurate. I have the polar f6 and swear by it!!!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have one with a watch and chest strap, once you've entered your personal data it will give you exact information on how many calories you are burning which is a real eye opener as the calculator on this site really over estimates (no offence MFP, I love the site). Also your watch will tell you at what percentage of your maximum heart rate you're working out at. To be burning fat I think it should be about 65% of your Maximum heart rate (other posters will correct me on this number if it's not excatly right). It really does help you to see exactly how hard you are working during a work out. Sometimes I find I had the tendency to coast through my workouts not giving it my all by my HRM has really helped with this.:smile:

Hope this is useful:glasses: :glasses:
  • tameka1220
    Options

Thanks!

I believe the watch only ones work too but watch plus strap are most accurate. I have the polar f6 and swear by it!!!

Thank ya kindly! I am researching that today!!
  • Tami22
    Tami22 Posts: 56
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 as well and LOVE IT!!! I use it for making sure I burn the amount of calories that I want to. The HRM is much more accurate then my treadmill so if I want to burn 300 calories....I check my HRM and if it says 240, I know I have 60 more to go!!!! It was the BEST investment...I got mine off Amazon-as per the rec. of someone on MFP!!! This site is the best!!!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I use mine to see my HR (obviously) but to get a more accurate count of my calories burned. I have a Polar FT7 w/chest strap and my wife has a F7 w/ strap
  • lkyoung
    lkyoung Posts: 5
    Options
    I believe that when your heart reaches a certain rate you are burning fat.
  • lkyoung
    lkyoung Posts: 5
    Options
    When your heart reaches a certain rate, you r burning fat.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Some HRM's do not report calories burned. If this is what you're looking for, make sure you get one that does.
  • tameka1220
    Options
    Okay guys thanks! Looks like i REALLY need to get one asap. I am going to definitely look up the Polar series. I always wondered about the calculations mfp gives you and where they get it from. Even wonder how the treadmill comes up with their #s after your workout. Seems like the HRM is waaay more accurate.

Thanks Again!! You Guys Rock!!
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    I have to say my success came from using a Polar HRM. I try and stay within my target heart rate and I leave the gym once I hit my goal of calories burned. It pushed me to up my intensity. Best thing ever. At first I had bought just the watch and it wasnt that great until a salesperson told me nothing better then polar. I have to say they were right. My friend has the timex brand and its not as accurate.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I just bought one (a Polar w/ chest strap), really for the accurate calorie information. Having used it for 2 days I have learned 1) my elliptical overestimates calories by 50% (I had been assuming 30-35%) and 2) there is a big variance based on how you feel that day. After 2 days I burned much fewer calories today than I did yesterday. I don't think I would have seen that just basing it off of what the elliptical told me.

Eye opening! No wonder I'm at a plateau!

I haven't figured out what else to do with it yet (understanding maximum heart rate, intensity levels, etc) but plan to this week!

have fun w/it!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just bought one (a Polar w/ chest strap), really for the accurate calorie information. Having used it for 2 days I have learned 1) my elliptical overestimates calories by 50% (I had been assuming 30-35%) and 2) there is a big variance based on how you feel that day. After 2 days I burned much fewer calories today than I did yesterday. I don't think I would have seen that just basing it off of what the elliptical told me.

Eye opening! No wonder I'm at a plateau!

I haven't figured out what else to do with it yet (understanding maximum heart rate, intensity levels, etc) but plan to this week!

have fun w/it!

Oh yeah! I love all the info I found out. One day I ate a doughnut at work at 3pm. went tot he gym at approx 5 pm and busted my hump for an hour......burned LESS calories! Some weird stuff.....I love walking on the beach, enjoying myself, and looking down to see my HR is 150! Fun AND burning cals?? Life is so good!
  • Tami22
    Tami22 Posts: 56
    Options
    I also found out that I burn twice as many calories in the AM than I do in the PM...Wierd but I thank my HRM for that!!! And my treadmill was also wrong in what I was burning...Is there a certain HR when you start to burn fat? I had no idea until I just saw someone post something above...
  • abricklin
    Options
    I also found out that I burn twice as many calories in the AM than I do in the PM...Wierd but I thank my HRM for that!!! And my treadmill was also wrong in what I was burning...Is there a certain HR when you start to burn fat? I had no idea until I just saw someone post something above...
    there is much debate on this but you tend to burn FAT at lower heart rates and MUSCLE at higher heart rates, which is why slow and high resistance is better than fast and easy (depsite getting your heart rate up faster).

Various trainers have told me different things but I believe 140. Do not trust my word alone, do some research.