Sodium/salt

Options
WolowitzTimestwo
WolowitzTimestwo Posts: 45 Member
Ok hope I am doing this right. My first topic.
I have issues with sodium/ salt. High blood pressure and all that. I am not dieting per se.,but always try to eat healthy.
I see a lot of recipes and foods I would like to make, but many have huge amounts if sodium.
Are there others who have this problem? And do you gave recipes or ideas to share with me?

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I like Morton's Light Salt. 60% less sodium, and its not a salt substitute.
  • jgear13
    jgear13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of soup recipes low sodium by just modifying the ingredients. For example using frozen vegetables instead of canned, buying "no salt added" canned beans or tomato sauces (Hunt's brand is a good one), using ground turkey instead of beef, and my life saver has been using Orrington brand soup base. They sell a low sodium chicken and beef powdered bouillon. Just try to come up with healthy swaps that aren't too far from the real thing.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Morton Salt Substitute. I use it in cooking & baking. Just like regular salt.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue! It seems so much easier to cut fat and sugar than salt! My goal is 1500mg or less per day. I have stopped buying frozen chicken breasts (they load them with salt) in favor of fresh chicken. I never eat anything canned - use frozen or fresh veggies and fruit. Most of all, learn to love spices! Some friends bought me a gift of no-sodium spices from a company called Penzey's Spices, and they are delicious! Don't be afraid to change up the recipes. For most recipes, I leave the salt out, or half it. When I do use salt, it's sea-salt, or the garlic salt grinder from Trader Joe's (less sodium per serving) and I measure it out. Just enough to get the chemical reaction of blending the flavors. Watch out for salt in cheeses and breads - there are many low-sodium options at the grocery.
  • Tristaan
    Options
    If you are on blood pressure meds or have any heart condition, please be careful using a salt substitute without checking with your doctor. The high potassium in some salt substitutes can be dangerous for some conditions.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have the problem, and I swell up and retain water for days from one day of going overboard.

I'm not much help for the recipes though, because I just make any old recipe and leave out the salt. My family adds salt to their servings if they don't like it , and I am adjusting to the taste. I do put lots of spices and often add vinegar to casseroles for a bit of extra flavor.
    Even if I don't add salt, my meals still have a lot of salt because many foods have salt in them naturally, like milk, chicken, celery...it really has been surprising to me to notice that!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of soup recipes low sodium by just modifying the ingredients. For example using frozen vegetables instead of canned, buying "no salt added" canned beans or tomato sauces (Hunt's brand is a good one), using ground turkey instead of beef, and my life saver has been using Orrington brand soup base. They sell a low sodium chicken and beef powdered bouillon. Just try to come up with healthy swaps that aren't too far from the real thing.

^^ This. Kitchen Basics has unsalted broth in a box, too.

Swapping dried beans for canned ones can be another way to cut sodium.

I heard Trader Joes has unsalted tortilla chips, though I've never had them.

The hardest thing for me is cheese, bread and mustard there's so much sodium in the amount of mustard I eat (for real, it's my go to condiment).

Just keep looking at labels and choosing the least sodium.
    I see a lot of recipes and foods I would like to make, but many have huge amounts if sodium.

Recipes that call for canned cream of soups are seriously high in sodium. I haven't used them but I've heard there are recipes for canned cream of soup substitutes. I don't know how much sodium is in them (the substitutes) but most of it probably can be cut.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I too try to stay under 1500 - which is actually what the Mayo Clinic etc. recommend for *everyone* over 50 (that's me!) as well as certain other groups.

Read read read the labels. I get the no-salt-added diced tomatoes which helps because I use a lot of those in soups and stews. Beans - if I haven't cooked them myself I drain and rinse them really well before using. (Not sure how much sodium that takes out - I read somewhere about a third, but I don't have any way to check that.) Otherwise fresh/frozen. But also the brands vary widely so sometimes you can cut a lot out just by switching brands - Full Circle black beans have a lot less than Progresso, for example. Also sometimes different versions of the same food - I notice this for peanut butter and for crackers like Triscuits. Again, just keep reading the labels carefully, being sure to compare corresponding serving sizes. Bread and cheese are my biggest traps. Rarely add salt when I'm cooking, and then as little as I can get away with - as others have mentioned, getting aggressive with spices like curry and different kinds of vinegar, or lemon or lime juice help perk up things that otherwise might taste flat and bland w/o the salt.
  • WolowitzTimestwo
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful tips and suggestions. I live in costa rica so no trader joes or brands from the US available here. I do not use much processed or canned foods at all. Pretty much cook 85% "clean". I am just having a hard time not throwing a pinch of salt here or a dash there when cooking. food tastes bland to me. I am supposed to gave 500 mg of salt daily. I know!
    I will get some Mrs. Dash. Been wanting to try that for ages.
    Thanks all for the great tips!
  • WolowitzTimestwo
    Options
    Thank you for this. I did not know about the potassium in salt subs. And I have used them in the past.

I tried to quote. maybe next time. Lol
  • Tristaan
    Options
    Hang in there! You do get used to less salty taste after awhile. :wink:
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Try using fresh or dried herbs in place of salt. McCormick and Mrs Dash make salt free seasonings and they are really good. Now that grilling season is going to start (if it ever quits snowing here) they are really good on grilled meats.
    Also cook from scratch as much as possible, processed foods have quite a bit of sodium and/or sugar added, plus a lot of other ingredients that are not especially good for us.
    There are a lot of web sites you can go to for great recipes and try the search feature here as well. You can find great recipes here and links to sites with healthy recipes.
  • WolowitzTimestwo
    Options
    Also just had the idea to weigh out how much salt I can have a day. I rarely eat out., I cook pretty much everything from scratch.
    If I see how much I have,, well that's it for the day.
    Thanks again for all the tips. I have been using the search function like crazy today!