Can I loose weight and fat by swimming and proper diet?

Options
Hi friends,
I started logging my daily calorie intake into MFP and I am planning to reduce at least 15Kgs weight. Gyms are pretty costly in the area I live so I can't afford one :( but swimming pool access charges are pretty cheap. I also like swimming so I prefer swimming till I loose some weight.
My main concern is, Is it possible to loose weight and fat just by swimming and controlling calorie intake as mentioned by MFP? If yes then how much should I swim everyday to reach my goal. I changed my diary settings to public. Can anyone please guide me?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight through diet alone. Any exercise is good. You should try to add some sort of strength training to maintain lean body mass, otherwise you'll lose muscle mass along with fat.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes, a combination of swimming and diet can be very effective. Go for it and enjoy your weightless journey :)

Just a word of advice, the controlling diet part is actually key, because swimming may make you feel a bit hungrier than normal.

As to how much you should swim? As much as is consistent with your lifestyle, by that I mean as much as you can while still enjoying it!
  • c2tarun
    c2tarun Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes you are right, after swimming I feel very hungry. But since I am on diet, so I eat lots of fruits, 125 ml of milk and plain non flavored corn flakes. Total around 250-300 Kcal of breakfast (I swim before breakfast)
    Since I am a beginner and I enjoy swimming, but my stamina is little less now, so I am swimming 300m everyday. With each lap of 23m and approx 30sec to 2 min break between each lap.
  • c2tarun
    c2tarun Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am also planning on weight training from next month. Actually I was on weight training last year, but due to my exams and job and other stuffs I gained lot of weight. I thought that I'll swim everyday for a month to build up my stamina and from next month I'll combine weight training and swimming. 3 days weight training and 3 days swimming as cardio. If anyone ever heard about "All Pros" workout plan, I am planning to following that as it is really good and really works.