FAT, ugh

Options
haleyjester
haleyjester Posts: 197 Member
I do ok with calories a day but fat and sodium, I just cant get a handle on them! Suggestions? Good recipes? Anything?

Replies

• iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com
    emilybites.com

Those are my go-tos for dinner almost every night. :)
  • haleyjester
    Options
    Ive heard a lot about skinnytaste.com Ill have to for sure check it out
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Can't see what you eat now or what your goals are set to -- but I will take a shot in the dark and say less processed foods and leaner proteins?
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    bump! I have the same problem and would like to know.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Hard to know without looking at your diary.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

328.gif
  • haleyjester
    Options
    I can already tell you all that I am not great with dieting/eating right. I wasnt raised in a "healthy" eating home. So I am still learning. I will make my profile viewable so you all can check it out. I had family dinner tonight and was not the greatest...My normal days are like last week mon thru thursday.
  • haleyjester
    Options
    I think its open now
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I think its open now

nope, i cant see it yet.
  • haleyjester
    Options
    Ah, sorry it is for sure now =))
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    It's hard to make a clearer assessment based on your diary since you only have a couple days that look like they were fully logged recently, but from those couple, it looks like you eat a lot of highly processed foods - which is often loaded with sodium. Things like chips, condiments, and premade meals/meal packs (like the zatarans). If you wanted to consume less sodium, try making meals from scratch and eating fewer high processed food where you have more control over how much sodium goes into your food. I think that goes for pretty much anything, though - be it salt, sugar, fat, etc.

And man, after seeing tonight log, i reeeeally want Buffalo Wild Wings now. That looked good - I hope you enjoyed it! Yum.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I do ok with calories a day but fat and sodium, I just cant get a handle on them! Suggestions? Good recipes? Anything?

Weight loss is about calories, not sodium or fat.

But some people like watching their macros for other reasons...
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

328.gif

hehehe i love these guys
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Focus more on the foods you SHOULD eat instead of what to avoid. Focus on getting the proper amount of protein. Fat is NOT our enemy but processed foods and simple carbohydrates (white flour, pure sugar blow pops, etc) are. I will eat 100 calories of fat over 100 calories of processed sugar, any day!
    Focus on fruits and veggies, protein.. The other stuff really takes are of itself.
  • eddycaa
    eddycaa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's much easier to control fat and sodium when you prepare your own meals from whole foods. Now--most of us are too busy to do that all the time so the next step is to find prepared foods that are made healthier. In general, Trader Joe's tend to have less sodium and fat in the prepared food items. Your regular grocery store will have healthier choices as well, but you have to make sure to read the labels.
  • haleyjester
    Options
    I have no health issues.
    Like I stated earlier, I am new to the dieting/eating right thing. Not everyday is like today..it was just one of those days. Last week was a better week and more similar to what i try to do diet wise.

I post this because I feel like I am stuck and dont know what to do. I figured maybe my sodium or fat intake was too high and preventing me from losing any weight. Of course I am probably wrong but thats why I ask..
  • haleyjester
    Options
    It's much easier to control fat and sodium when you prepare your own meals from whole foods. Now--most of us are too busy to do that all the time so the next step is to find prepared foods that are made healthier. In general, Trader Joe's tend to have less sodium and fat in the prepared food items. Your regular grocery store will have healthier choices as well, but you have to make sure to read the labels.

What exactly should I look for in labels?
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist, but I have my own opinion based on the basics of what I know. If you take in more calories than you burn, you gain weight; if you burn more calories than you take in, you lose weight. If you eat a balanced diet (plenty of protein, fruits, veggies, carbs, dairy, etc.), and stay within your calorie limits, you'll be just fine. The numbers (sodium, fat, sugar, etc.) aren't as important.
  • sketchymurr
    Options
    I'm going to suggest finding some lean protein sources you like. A quick google check can yield a bunch of ideas, but really- go for the protein. Focus on pairing a nice solid protein (like tuna, salmon, chicken breast, etc.) with some fruits and veggies. Make your own sauces, learn to season things. Measure your salt for cooking, and add it while things cook to bring out flavors and use less overall.

Making food your own is a really empowering move for changing your lifestyle; it lets you control what you eat, how you eat, and it's soooo much cheaper and more rewarding than eating out.

Hopefully you find some ideas from others, too- good luck!

(As others have mentioned- cals are the big ones. I honestly don't watch my fat/sodium intake; I make my own meals and I rarely go over the suggested amounts by MFP.)