Why we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves...

Options
2»

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I watched this last night...and it made me cry. We are so hard on ourselves. We see flaws no one else does, see our differences as bad rather than special and beautiful. We've been lied to all our lives...we don't need to look like a supermodel or a Hollywood star to be beautiful. We already are. And we are sometimes the last ones to know it.
  • JerseyGirl081
    JerseyGirl081 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    WOW! So thankful you shared this video. I'll be passing it on to some of my family and friends. Very eye opening. Thank You :flowerforyou:
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I'm less attracted to magazine models than I am to many of the "normal" ladies who come in to my store every day. I love women who do not want to mimic the supermodels, but are confident and happy with who they are.
  • teresaforeman91
    teresaforeman91 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That is beautiful. it sure does give you a reality check. thankyou for sharing :)
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I saw that on Facebook tonight. Cried a little. :smile:
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    This was moving.. Thank you for sharing...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to ahead and post my exact response that I gave the last time I saw this video. Don't get me wrong. It's touching and yes, we do tend to view ourselves harshly. And I appreciate the fact that the OP didn't single out women in this thread. However, I still feel that the overall tone of Dove did. I think it's a marketing ploy to play on the self esteem of women and I think it's offensive that it's directed towards women as if men don't have negative opinions on their body as well. I think it feeds into the stereotype that women are these completely insecure people that need reassurance that they look good. Furthermore I think it's laughable that they have some white night forensic artist to come in and give them a pat on the shoulder and tell them their pretty.

My 2 cents anyways.
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Saw this at home last night. It was an eye opener. Most women do underestimate their beauty. However, I'm pretty pragmatic about my appearance. I'm ugly and I know it. A guy in high school once told me "trade your face for my *kitten*". Not fishing for assurance - just saying that some people know they won't win any beauty contests while others don't know...

a guy in high school told me I looked like a potato on stilts. I'll never forget that.

funny how high school schit stays with you, even years and years later.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • jeannate52
    jeannate52 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Tears sniff, sniff.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to ahead and post my exact response that I gave the last time I saw this video. Don't get me wrong. It's touching and yes, we do tend to view ourselves harshly. And I appreciate the fact that the OP didn't single out women in this thread. However, I still feel that the overall tone of Dove did. I think it's a marketing ploy to play on the self esteem of women and I think it's offensive that it's directed towards women as if men don't have negative opinions on their body as well. I think it feeds into the stereotype that women are these completely insecure people that need reassurance that they look good. Furthermore I think it's laughable that they have some white night forensic artist to come in and give them a pat on the shoulder and tell them their pretty.

My 2 cents anyways.

I haven't seen the dove commercial, but this video caught my eye. I'm sorry that you feel men were excluded. I don't think it's saying that they don't feel the same, they just chose to do this particular project on women.

Obviously not everyone is going to have the same reaction as I did, but I found it very touching and apparently a lot of others did as well.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I saw this yesterday. It made me want to cry.

Not only because I realized that I do this to myself, but that so many women are affected by this same self-hatred that I experience.

It made me feel beautiful and human.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    words to live by:
    you will be pretty intelligent
    you will be pretty creative
    you will be pretty amazing
    but you will never be merely
    pretty.
  • fswong
    fswong Posts: 10
    Options
    Saw this at home last night. It was an eye opener. Most women do underestimate their beauty. However, I'm pretty pragmatic about my appearance. I'm ugly and I know it. A guy in high school once told me "trade your face for my *kitten*". Not fishing for assurance - just saying that some people know they won't win any beauty contests while others don't know...

This is crazy! First off, guys in high school are ridiculous, self-conscious, and trying to make themselves feel better by putting others down. Secondly, I'm a strong believer in beauty in everyone. I hope that everyone finds that for themselves as well.
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    NEAT! Thanks for sharing.
  • Dangerkitty79
    Dangerkitty79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I saw this yesterday. It made me want to cry.

Not only because I realized that I do this to myself, but that so many women are affected by this same self-hatred that I experience.

It made me feel beautiful and human.

Well said.
  • k916and
    k916and Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That was great, I'm crying! Thank you!!