weight lifting advise - no longer going to gym

Options
So we had to stop our gym membership, the $ 100 a month is getting too tight. I don't have weights nor do I have a extra room or anywhere to put them. Can anyone give me some help with ideas for weight lifting that doesn't require a large set up and a huge cost. Kettle balls? I could get some of those and they could fir under the bed? Any book or apps? I miss my lifting.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Check out You Are Your Own GYm and nerdfitness.com. You might also look into getting heavy resistance bands. They're fairly cheap and odn't take up much room. I think all the bug lifts can be modified to be performed with bands.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells take up as much space if not more than dumbbells. I agree with the above poster. I think resistance bands would work well. Something like this set maybe?

http://www.bodylastics.com/

It's just an example. I've never used this brand. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sandbag. Look up ultimate sandbag. My wife and I use the dance one by switching filler bags
  • trialstyle
    trialstyle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Check with your community centers, our's is brand new with a huge gym with everything one needs and it's very inexpensive (even free for some)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Check out You Are Your Own GYm and nerdfitness.com. You might also look into getting heavy resistance bands. They're fairly cheap and odn't take up much room. I think all the bug lifts can be modified to be performed with bands.

They do a female version- body by you which works your way up to the exercises more gradually.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    300 bucks for 2 yrs at 24 hr fitness through Costco and planet fitness is 10 bucks a month with free pizza...
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You can also get things piece by piece at one of those fitness gear warehouse places. The one near me sells plates at eighty cents a pound to fit standard bars. If I didn't have to use a gym (need machines; can't squat or dl) I totally wouldn't. But I go to the community centre near me :)
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Yeah, lets workout then eat pizza....
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Check out your local high school. If they have a football program, they should have a decent gym. You pay taxes, so they may let you use the faciltiy for free. I have been using "our" weight room for the past couple yrs. I get a key and can access it just about any time I want. Just an idea to save some money
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    No planet fitnes of 24 hour gym by me. Just one fitness center that will run my husband and I over $ 100 a month PLUS I work full time and have three small kids so I can't get there until 10 or 11 at night so that's why I am looking for alternatives. I loved my gym time but I was sacrificing all my mommy time with my kids. The ultimate sandbag looks like a good option.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You are your own gym
    Nerdfitness
    and many other programs/resources out there that have bodyweight only strength routines.
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I could actually make a bag! Thank you so much for this!