Am I eating enough? Not losing much weight -Help!

Options
Hi, I just wanted to see if anyone could maybe share any tips, or any nutritional help.

I have been 'dieting' for 2 months now, started to track all my food, am strict, everything I eat goes on the tracker.
I have a daily allowance of 1200 which I admit dont always eat, mainly because I am satisfied.

I have really upped my exercise and this week I have managed to do 4 workouts, stayed within my 1200 allowance some days not ate back my extra calories and I havent lost any weight at all. Admittdely, I do feel that my clothes are lose and I feel better so think Ive lost inches however not tracked my measurements, however cant help feel a little disappointed that the scales dont show.

I know it takes time, but I really wanted to get to 9stone 7 before my holiday and just not seeing any results when I know I have been mega good, and tried hard on the excercise.
any suggestions on what could benefit me?
would be of interest to see peoples opintions and help? :-)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just wanted to see if anyone could maybe share any tips, or any nutritional help.

I have been 'dieting' for 2 months now, started to track all my food, am strict, everything I eat goes on the tracker.
    I have a daily allowance of 1200 which I admit dont always eat, mainly because I am satisfied.

I have really upped my exercise and this week I have managed to do 4 workouts, stayed within my 1200 allowance some days not ate back my extra calories and I havent lost any weight at all. Admittdely, I do feel that my clothes are lose and I feel better so think Ive lost inches however not tracked my measurements, however cant help feel a little disappointed that the scales dont show.

I kow it takes time, but I really wanted to get to 9stone 7 before my holiday and just not seeing any results when I know I have been mage good, and tried hard on the excercise.
    any suggestions on what could benefit me?
    would be of interest to see peoples opintions and help? :-)

eat more.

if you are following MFPs calorie guide, then you should eat 1200 cals AND your exercise calories.
  • jofiestyone
    jofiestyone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes This week am going to eat back my calories and see how I get on. :bigsmile:
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Good, I'm glad you are taking the advice. I used to think less calories = more weightloss, but it's simply not true. Your body needs a certain amount of calories to function properly, and if it's not getting enough, then it'll hold onto whatever it can and won't allow you to lose any weight. Been there, done that, never again!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are accurately weighing yourself, and make sure you are accurately counting your cals. It's far more common to make a mistake on either than to run into metabolic damage.
  • SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I personally can not eat like all the charts say I should.
    When I eat over 1200 I gain weight. The only way for me to maintain or lose would be to stay at 1,000 or slightly below.
    Also, be aware of WHAT you are eating. When I eat a lot of foods that come out of packages I gain weight. But as long as I am sticking with foods that are fresh, cooked by me, then I do fine and feel loads better!

**To anyone that is considering messaging me and telling me what I am doing is wrong: Please don't waste your time. I get messages like that more often that I like. I've followed your charts and your MFP "expert" advice and it Does Not work for me.**
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you have been eating less than 1200 calories per day for 2 months and have lost no weight at all then it may be possible that you have a medical issue that needs to be addressed.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary you are certainly doing a great job trying to stay balance... the two things that I did notice are that you are not consistantly drinking water (as much as I dislike water, that is very important), and your fat intake is almost always half of what you are supposed to be getting.

Hydration (especially now that you are working out more) is important for the body. The good fats are also very important for your body, it needs a certain amount for fueling your body appropriately. The plus to adding more healthy fats, it will help you be closer to your calorie goal (which in my personal experience is low).

Some of the best healthy ways to add fat are actually very simple. I struggled with it as well, and now have added 1 greek yogurt (not low fat or fat free) to my diet by starting my day with a fruit and yogurt smoothie every day. I also will roast fresh veggies with about 1 tbs of olive oil or have a helping of cashews or pecans as my snack. Just be very careful with these options, you have to measure!!!!
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water! Stick to the strict measuring of your food also! Don't give up...it takes time!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When I eat over 1200 I gain weight. The only way for me to maintain or lose would be to stay at 1,000 or slightly below.
    Also, be aware of WHAT you are eating. When I eat a lot of foods that come out of packages I gain weight. But as long as I am sticking with foods that are fresh, cooked by me, then I do fine and feel loads better!

**To anyone that is considering messaging me and telling me what I am doing is wrong: Please don't waste your time. I get messages like that more often that I like. I've followed your charts and your MFP "expert" advice and it Does Not work for me.**

Let me guess.. You tried it for like a week before hopping on the scale, seeing that you gained a pound and going back to your ways.

To OP:
    You should be eating back the calories if you are following MFP's plan, since that's how it's set up.

Since it subtracts out exercise calories, you'll still wind up at 1200 Net for the day, but you'll have eaten way more.
  • cay2810
    cay2810 Posts: 15
    Options
    May I ask...have you worked out your BMR? and if so have you got that info from several different sources online? Some BMR calculators often suggest quite a low calorie diet and sometimes it is too low...which would be slowing down your motabalism. Try doing some strength exercises as well as cardio if you haven't already because if you just burn fat it can come back easily wheras if you replace it with a bit of muscle you are more likely to maintain your weight :)
  • lisagregory01
    lisagregory01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I'm right there with ya sister! Everyone is different but I loose if I stay at 1,000 as well! Keep up the good work and do what works for your body!
  • shannonbegin
    Options
    i have lost a total of 108 lbs .. i went down further but didnt look good i looked ill. i have recently gotten on herbalife i take in 2 shakes a day to replace my meals and i take tablets to help tone and tighten all the loose skin i had which seems to be showing great resaults but on the other hand i ve noticed the scale going up i get wieghed and mesured once a week. i understand you have to gain muscle to burn the fat and you need the protein to feed the muscle. however i dont seem to be getting down to my goal weight. does anyone have any suggestions? i am on the 1200 calorie diet and i will admit i have some very hard days to not want everything in sight. never had this problem befor .
  • klb0809
    klb0809 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your fruit and veggie intake
  • shannonbegin
    Options
    thank you!!:bigsmile:
  • jofiestyone
    Options
    [Thanks for your comments and advice, I actually drink loads of water i just dont add it in my diary , I have at least 12 cups a day , thats not inc my tea.- I do really thing maybe eat more protein, veg, and most things I cook are made from scratch for my dinner, I have a desk based job so usually eat rice cakes, soup or crackers, love greek yogurt so will get some :flowerforyou: ]
  • jofiestyone
    Options
    I also get weighed at a slimming club each week at the same time, just once a week.