Girls around 180lb with a HRM

Options
Hi girls,

I was wondering if anyone around 5ft 6 and weighed around 180lb who had a hrm could tell me what kind of numbers they are getting from their hrm on an average work out i have a feeling mine is way too high i have just done 40 mins of dancing at fair enough an intense rate and i was sweating but it says i have burnt 450 and that to me just seems a little bit silly and way to high im not that unfit i could still breath properly etc

I have also been doing the C25K and been getting 300 kcal burnt on weeks 1 and 2

Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred and been getting 300 for level 1 and bout 320 for level 2

Any help would be great i dont want to log that im burning way more kcal then i am and then wonder why im not loosing weight lol

Replies

• jetlbomb
    jetlbomb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 170lbs and 5'7". It's hard to compare stuff like this because it really depends on how hard you work out. I get about the same, perhaps a little less, from the 30 Day shred. A 30 minute walk-run (although more running than weeks 1/2 of C25K) burns about 350 cals.

ETA: If you're worried it's too high then perhaps just subtract a 20-50 calorie per workout. Better to underestimate your burn than overestimate.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't think 450 is too high, I was 175 (5"6') when I got my hrm and I was seeing +400 for 55 mins often at first. Now (at 156-158) I'm getting 300-370 for the same workout.
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi. I get around the same numbers for, 30 day shred. They were higher when I first started the DVD. I'm now on day 8 and I'm burning around 280, I haven't changed the intensity of my workout, I just guess I'm getting fitter. Your best bet is to just fork out for a good HRM. I put off buying one for ages because they seemed too expensive, but it's definitely the best investment I've made. :)
  • dayr1993
    dayr1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do work high intensity but i can still breath like i dont feel liek im doing to die lol it was just because the dance video said overall it should be about 200 kcal for the 40 mins and i did 450 in the 40 just seemed an extreme difference but maybe if likewise you guys have had similar results then it is right?

Shows i really need to get my fitness up if i should only be burning half the calories i am LOL

and i think i have a decent hrm believe me it wasnt on the cheap and everyone i know uses it and gets along with it so maybe i am just worrying about nothing lol

I think ill still subtract 20-50 kcal from each number it gives :)
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I assumed from the question you didn't have a HRM, I do apologise lol When I first got mine I thought the numbers were a bit on the high side, and thought surely this isn't right, so googled for ages to see if I was doing something wrong lol It's all down to body weight, height, age, intensity,etc and everyone is different. I wouldn't worry too much, from your ticker it looks like your doing great, so your HRM must be telling the truth :)
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Those are right in line with the numbers I get depending on average heart rate.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Although I'm not female, I do weight around 170 lbs. My 2.6 mile run yesterday based on the MFP exercise database, my weight, and approximate speed indicated I was using 8 calories / minute.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, 185 lbs, and in 45 minutes with Zumba, my HRM records 600+ calories easily.
  • Jude_V
    Jude_V Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue when I first got a HRM. The numbers seemed very high to me - someone pointed out that you do need to subtract your base rate from that.

So, for me, my HRM showed I burned 450 calories from 45 minutes of Wii Fit. But I'd have burned 100 (or so) from just sitting and that is included in the 450 - so subtract that and 350 sounds more realistic :)

EDITED: Because I think quicker than I type :)
  • dayr1993
    Options
    Well im really happy then seems that i am working hard during my work outs (i no a bit of it is down to unfitness) but i am working hard and obvs its paying off with just dance this morning managed to do 600+ and thats in 70 mins of dance :)

Thats what confuses me everyone says that MFP over exagerates the calories burnt but for me it extremely under estimates it LOL

Strange haha
  • dayr1993
    Options
    I had a similar issue when I first got a HRM. The numbers seemed very high ot me - someone pointed out that you do need to subtract you base rate from that.

So, for me, my HRM showed I burned 450 calories from 45 minutes of Wii Fit. But I'd have burned 100 (or so) from just sitting and that is included in the 450 - so subtract that and 350 sounds more realistic :)

Ohh okay yeah that does make sense so how do you no what your base rate is? Cause you would have to subtract a different number each time depending on how long you worked out for lol :)
  • Jude_V
    Jude_V Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It would be your BMR - so it's almost always going to be a guess. You can try and take it by wearing your HRM and going to lay down for 20 minutes - divide what it gives you by 2 and you have a rough estimate for how many calories you burn in 10 minutes - then, if you do 50 minutes of exercise, subtract you Base Rate x 5...

Hope that makes sense...

I could be wrong but it made sense to me when I heard it :)
  • dayr1993
    Options
    It would be your BMR - so it's almost always going to be a guess. You can try and take it by wearing your HRM and going to lay down for 20 minutes - divide what it gives you by 2 and you have a rough estimate for how many calories you burn in 10 minutes - then, if you do 50 minutes of exercise, subtract you Base Rate x 5...

Hope that makes sense...

I could be wrong but it made sense to me when I heard it :)

Yeah it does make sense thanks :D
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just for comparison - I am 5'9 and weigh 244lb. I wear a HRM when I do Jazzercise, and 60minutes reads anywhere from 650 to 830 calories burned. I do as much high intensity as I can (one of my knees gets a twinge if I do too much), so some days I'm around the 650 but most of the others I'm closer to 800+.
  • dayr1993
    Options
    Ahh okay so it really does matter what intensity etc I just wanted to make sure it was roughly right didn't want to be logging wrong lol

Thanks everyone :)