How much is a cup?

Options
Sorry to ask what might sound like a stupid question but how many grams is a cup?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    A cup of what? A cup of feathers or a cup of bricks? Not everything has the same density.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Here's a helpful website that shows conversions:

http://allrecipes.com/howto/cup-to-gram-conversions/
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    A cup of what? A cup of feathers or a cup of bricks? Not everything has the same density.

That's why I thought it could be seen as a stupid question. :smile:

So.....I looked at home made chilli today and there's a result for 1 cup of chilli - I have no idea how much 1 cup equates to.
  • MrsSausage58
    Options
    Here's a helpful website that shows conversions:

http://allrecipes.com/howto/cup-to-gram-conversions/

Thanks! I'll take a look......
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    That website has a math formula:

Butter
    If you know a cup of butter weighs 8 ounces, you could do the math yourself:

1 ounce = 28.34 grams, so one cup of butter weighs 227 grams.

1/4 cup of butter = 57 g
    1/3 cup of butter = 76 g
    1/2 cup of butter = 113 g

I was never good at math, but if you have a calculator and a scale for things like veggies, you should be able to figure out grams per cups.
  • WTJoyce
    WTJoyce Posts: 86
    Options
    I don't think it was a stupid question at all, it got the results you were looking for wen someone looked past the wording and understood the intent of the question.

I am glad you asked because know I understand the conversion process a bit better and have two resources for wen I have questions.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    A cup(to me at least) is 8 oz of liquid.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Cups are a very inaccurate way to measure solids as it depends how hard someone packs it into a cup. If you want accuracy you need to weigh them
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Isn't one cup 80 grams??

Well of oats that is
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
  • ruthio77
    ruthio77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I bought these last week because it was quicker than doing conversions every time!

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1366287852994
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    solid foods should be measured by mass and liquids by volume. it's "tricky" (if you don't know what you're doing) when an ounce can commonly refer to both.

jmho
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

So.....I looked at home made chilli today and there's a result for 1 cup of chilli - I have no idea how much 1 cup equates to.
    If you make your own food, I'd try to avoid the "home made" entries in the database. You have no way of knowing what proportions of what ingredients are used. It's much more accurate to use the recipe function in your diary and enter your own recipe based on what you used to make it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

"Homemade" items are complete guesses. If you made your own chili, use the recipe builder, enter all the ingredients and then say how many servings it makes.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you make homemade food, you really need to calculate the calories per serving yourself by adding up all the ingredients you add. There may be something on the MFP database that comes close, but there are a million things that sound right but are far off.
  • chellie47
    chellie47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use this one for oz to grams...assuming (LOL) that 1 cup liquid is 8 oz

http://www.asknumbers.com/GramsToOuncesConversion.aspx
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I use this one for oz to grams...assuming (LOL) that 1 cup liquid is 8 oz

http://www.asknumbers.com/GramsToOuncesConversion.aspx

A cup of chili is going to be a very different number of grams than a cup of water, a cup of broccoli, or a cup of tuna.

1 cup = 8 fl oz.
    1 cup != 8 oz
  • MrsSausage58
    Options
    All good advice, thank you. I haven't used the recipe builder so far so I'll give that a try today! :happy:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was a stupid question at all, it got the results you were looking for wen someone looked past the wording and understood the intent of the question.

I am glad you asked because know I understand the conversion process a bit better and have two resources for wen I have questions.
    One is a volume measurement and one is a weight measurement. There's no way to covert between the two without know what substance is being measured. If OP is weighing chicken it will be a higher number of grams than if OP was weighing whipped cream.
  • SabrinaLily
    SabrinaLily Posts: 121
    Options
    Grams is weight, a cup is volume. Two different things that cannot be reconciled with one another in general terms.