I don't like running outside

Options
I read a lot on the boards about people who hate treadmills and run outside in all weather. I am by no means a great runner and I find it very difficult to run on pavement (it hurts my foot) and even a small amount of humidity makes it hard for me to breathe. I can walk outside with no problem. Am I really the only person who prefers running on a treadmill?

Replies

• aperrillioux
    aperrillioux Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I prefer running on the treadmill to running outside in extreme weather. As in, anything below 64 degrees...I definitely don't mind the monotony. I feel like I'm more able to push myself on a treadmill. However, there is something about running outside in the spring/summer/fall. Fortunately, I don't have all the problems you do, so I very much enjoy it.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm currently transitioning from the treadmill to the outdoors. It's a hard transition. The treadmill is much easier to jog on. But jogging outdoors keeps getting better.
    How are your shoes? Are they stable enough for an outdoor run?
    How long are you running vs your time on the treadmill? I found my running time diminished outdoors. It was discouraging at first but I think its because of the road, wind, humidity, etc. It all takes some getting used to. Don't give up.
    What about your speed? Have you tried slowing down a little? I found that helped me at first.
    Are there any other routes you can jog that aren't paved? Maybe gravel trails?

For now, I still prefer jogging on the treadmill for ease of jogging but I prefer the outdoors for changing scenery, different terrains and the fun of being outdoors. Once my body is used to the outdoors, I think I'll prefer that. There are so many more options to outdoor running.
  • westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    Options
    You are not alone, Im not a big fan of running outside, but hats off to those that do!!
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You should be fitted for shoes if it's hurting your foot. Being outside to me is peaceful and fresh air. I feel like the gym is so muggy and i'm facing a mirror or wall where running outside you get to take in the scenery. But do what you like.
  • bonnibf
    bonnibf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those of you who replied, I was really beginning to feel like I was the only one. For a couple of the questions, I have to log as fast walking because running doesn't go as slow as I run (usually 4.3 to 4.5 mph on the treadmill). I am going to look into really good shoes when I get a chance. Also, as far as the foot pain goes, I really need to talk to my doctor. When I do certain things I feel pain in the middle of my foot that I am sure is coming from moving my big toe incorrectly.

Thanks again for letting me know I'm not completely alone!