Carb allowance

Hi there, I'm new here and I'm following a low carb diet but I'm not sure how to find out what my daily allowance is? Can someone plz help me to guide me in the right direction? Thanks

Replies

• Hi
    I do believe that you have to mesure that for your needs most people uses 20 or less to keto and loosing and some others more active up to 50 .
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    is there a reason you're doing low carb?
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Hi
    I do believe that you have to mesure that for your needs most people uses 20 or less to keto and loosing and some others more active up to 50 .

I kind of agree with this. Depends on the type of person you are. If you are working out 3-5 times a week doing mostly cardio/aerobic/anaerobic activities, then you should bump to 100g so your muscles wont get strained. Carbs will help them synthesize the protiens you take in for repair.

If you're just eating within your daily allowance and seldom exercise, 20g or lower would be ideal.

I'm not a fan of Atkins, but I see proof out there that controlling your insulin through limiting carbs does a wonderful job.
  • Im doing low carb because i find that eating breads and pastas upsets my stomach
  • I'm just confused because I have a app that helps me follow my carbs through the day and I just had a apple and tbsp of light peanut butter and it says I'm already at just over 20 grams... How is that possible ?
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    I'm just confused because I have a app that helps me follow my carbs through the day and I just had a apple and tbsp of light peanut butter and it says I'm already at just over 20 grams... How is that possible ?

Sugars are carbs, regardless if it comes from can sugar, corn syrup, apples, bananas, etc. With fruit, at least you get nutritional values like fiber, vitamins, and whatever else for that specific fruit instead of pretty much nothing in regular sugar.

You have to give up a lot of food that you normally like to go that low on carbs. But, there's resources online with spreadsheets of low-carb foods to concentrate your diet around. Meats, dairy, berries, vegetables all contain little to no carbs per serving.

If you go to the gym regularly or like to run, I'd suggest upping that 20g amount to 50 or 100.
  • Thanks for the info... Helped a lot ????
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Im doing low carb because i find that eating breads and pastas upsets my stomach

you dont need to go low carb then, just avoid bread and pasta?

carbs dont make people fat, excess calories do.