Runners & new runners.

Options
Since I've started the C25K program, both of my little toes have started giving me problems. I *think* it could be a shoe problem, but not sure.

Both of my little toes are starting to callous up along the entire inside edge where they touch the next bigger to. The callous is forming along the very bottom edge, like where my toe touches the shoe on the bottom and the next bigger toe.

Is this a shoe problem? Am I suddenly changing something about the way my feet hit the ground? It causes a fair amount of pain, especially to one foot. I'm still running/walking, but it's bothersome.

JM

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sounds like either a shoe or a form issue.

Have you been fitted for shoes?

A lot of running stores also offer free form clinics. I'd look into taking one - even if it's not a form issue, improvement never hurt anyone!
  • Marga40
    Marga40 Posts: 25
    Options
    I agree with Lora. Go to the running store, get a gait analysis and a fitting. I was amazed by the difference compared to shoes I'd chosen on my own. Your toes shouldn't touch the end of the shoe, and the toebox should be wide enough for you to spread your toes a bit. They put me in a shoe a full size larger than what I normally wear.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You may actually need a wider shoe. I was wearing a shoe that was too big for me lengthwise, but ok width-wise, but it allowed too much movement front-to-back and my toes got all messed up, lost toenails, etc. I went to a local running store, found a wider shoe that fit well, and haven't had nearly the problems I had previously, still have callouses, but I suppose that's to be expected with doing ~45+ miles a week. Good luck!
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I wish we had a running store nearby. That's the bad part about living in a rural community... Even the closest big town doesn't have a running store. As I'm further out for this or that I'll keep my eyes open for one and stop in at some point.

JM
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    New balance brooks have wide widths
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I'll look for them. I think my current New Balance shoes are the problem. They're a bit narrow toward the toe.

JM