Please Help-stumped

Options
I am a 46 yr. old female and have really committed myself to tracking calories/exercise in hopes of dropping some weight I gained over the past 2 years. I feel like I am doing everything "right" and really working hard and the scale is NOT budging. I was on Lexapro for a year after my Mother's death and went off of it about 6 weeks ago...could this be part of the problem? My food/exercise diary is open and any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how going off the medication will have affected things. That's something that's worth asking your doctor about. Looking at your diary though, it's a bit of a concern that you're leaving behind a *lot* of calories each day. 1200 net calories is not a lot to begin with, and looking back at the last several days, you are consistently way under that target. That's not doing it "right" - really you're doing yourself no favours eating so little. Having such a large calorie deficit, you risk losing more muscle mass than you should do, which will slow your metabolism down. You also risk messing up your hormones. Apart from anything else, you're not giving your body enough energy to do it's normal basic functions, so it will start to slow processes down, again - slowing your metabolism.

Looking at your ticker on your profile, you're not looking to lose a huge amount. Without the large fat stores of an obese person, it's all the more important not to have too large of a calorie deficit, as your body just can't support it.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Either you aren't logging everything you eat, or you are netting way too low calories - that is going to slow your weight loss or even stop it.

Would you mind providing your stats?
    Age, Height, Current Weight and Activity Level (daily regular activity and exercise).
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I looked through your diary. You are eating WAY too little. I know it seems counterintuitive but you will have a hard time losing weight at such extremely low calorie values. Eating so little will decrease your lean body mass, which will lower your metabolic rate; it will increase your propensity toward binges, and it has been seen again and again to cause folks to stall out. Common problem, easy solution: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Many antidepressants/anti anxiety meds can cause you to gain weight or prevent loss while you are on them, but once you get them out of your system (time span varies from person to person), you should see a difference.
    However, if you are eating too little that can mess things up as well. There are lots of sites that can help you calculate what your intake should be.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You need to up those calories! You seem to NET under 1000 everyday.. some days close to 0. You need to fuel your body properly.
  • leahayliffe
    Options
    eat more to lose more.
  • kjscala
    kjscala Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My age is 46 (47 in June). I am 5'2" and currently weigh 155.4. I honestly have tried the "eating more" thing and that doesn't seem to do a thing. I did WW several years ago and reached my goal (lost 45 lbs), losing slow and steady. I am doing exactly what I did then. My activity level is relatively moderate although I work out on an average of 5-6 days a week, either spinning or walking for an hour. I would think I would have lost more than 3 lbs. since starting this. It has been several weeks and I actually do have quite a bit--25 lbs. to lose. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you for your time!
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    My age is 46 (47 in June). I am 5'2" and currently weigh 155.4. I honestly have tried the "eating more" thing and that doesn't seem to do a thing. I did WW several years ago and reached my goal (lost 45 lbs), losing slow and steady. I am doing exactly what I did then. My activity level is relatively moderate although I work out on an average of 5-6 days a week, either spinning or walking for an hour. I would think I would have lost more than 3 lbs. since starting this. It has been several weeks and I actually do have quite a bit--25 lbs. to lose. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you for your time!

. . . six people have told you, basically, the same thing. You can keep bumping and getting more advice, and perhaps someone will tell you something you want to believe, but I would take that outlier with a grain of salt.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Another vote for eating more.

Also make sure you are logging accurately with a food scale. Set MFP to lose 1 lb per week and eat back half your exercise calories.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I just did the Scooby Calorie calculator for you, based on moderate activity:
    Your BMR is 1400
    Your TDEE w/Moderate activity is 2170.
    TDEE - 20% = 1736.

Eat at 1736 and you should lose about a lb per week.
    You are eating too little. Slowly increase your calories each week until you reach around this number. You may not see results after doing this for 4 to 6 weeks. You may even see a gain at first. But it will work.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1400
    TDEE - 20% = 1736.

You are eating too little. Slowly increase your calories each week until you reach around this number. You may not see results after doing this for 4 to 6 weeks. You may even see a gain at first. But it will work.

This is a great way to go too. In this case you wouldn't eat back exercise calories.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Clearly not eating is working.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i also saw your diary. You aren't eating anything much at all.

i'm 48 and find that i do better with more veggies and fruit then the random fat (cream) and chips (tortilla) that I see on your diary. Eat soup! Eat salad! Eat lean proteins!

Are you exercising?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1400
    TDEE - 20% = 1736.

Agreed. But please enter the calories back slowly. You're eating 900 or few calories average right now. Take it a step at a time. 100 calories back a week. That's 8 weeks to get your body back on track and to reboot. It isn't a very long time. You don't have a whole lot of weight to lose, but you're trying to do it way too quickly.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat more. And pay attention to your macros--I looked at a week's worth of your diary, and despite getting a good hit of protein on some days, it wasn't enough to make up for the days you were short.

Plus, you NEVER hit your fat goal. Fat is necessary for healthy body and brain function--not to mention your hair, skin, and nails need it to look good!--and most days you're way, way under. Fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat. I'd recommend stopping with the fat-free cheese and lite sour cream and going with the full-fat versions. They taste better and will make you feel fuller longer, too.

Best of luck!

edited for typo
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You do not have the same body you had several years ago and you are not happy with the results you are seeing. It is time to try something else.

You asked for advice, everybody gave you the same advice.

1) weigh and measure your food, so that you know exactly how much you are eating.
    2) eat enough to fuel your lifestyle.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Another vote for eat more!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts. The only thing I'm going to add since I'm still on antidepressants, I don't think stopping the med would cause this problem. It didn't for me previously in my life.
  • kjscala
    kjscala Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you, CM9178 for the helpful and POSITIVE feedback. BurtHuttz, FYI I was responding to CM's question and I wasn't trying to "bump" or ignore postings/replies. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. And you seem cranky--you may want to grab a snack.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Thank you, CM9178 for the helpful and POSITIVE feedback. BurtHuttz, FYI I was responding to CM's question and I wasn't trying to "bump" or ignore postings/replies. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. And you seem cranky--you may want to grab a snack.

LOL.