Losing Butt Shape

Options
Hello ladies,
I wanted to get your feedback about working out but still maintaining curves. I've been working out (cardio + weight-training for a total of 5x per week) for more than 2 months now and I'm scared to continue because I really don't want to lose my butt. I do squats/lunges and other glutes exercises once or twice per week and I definitely saw an improvement in tone in the first month but now it's getting smaller. Please share your experiences! And for getting a bigger butt, is it better to work out the glutes only once per week or is 2-3 fine?
Thank you :)

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Lifting will definitely help you keep your curves. And get more curves. Better curves.
    So do lots of heavy squats and deadlifts and watch magic happen!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Squats.

Then some squats.

Then, for good measure, add in some squats.
  • Jane717
    Jane717 Posts: 21
    Options
    How many times per week do you recommend?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

3x a week for steady progress.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Do you do heavy squats, or just bodyweight?
  • Mickeyriv
    Mickeyriv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Squats.

Then some squats.

This. Keep upping the weight as you progress.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

3x a week for steady progress.

Second this. If you're new to them, start with body weight to build initial strength and form. You can then hold a plate or do goblet squats with a dumbbell or kettlebell. Then you can go nuts in the squat rack. I started with back squats but these days I'm really into front squats. I load up the bar considerably less with front squats but I love them, and so does my butt.
  • Jane717
    Options
    I started with bodyweight then added weights slowly, I'm up to 10 kilograms (22 pounds) when I squat using the barbell and 5 kilograms (11 pounds) with a regular dumbbell
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I was going to say squat heavy things, but it's already been covered :smile:
    You can squat 3x/week. Stronglifts will help you progress in weights.
  • Jane717
    Options
    So you never felt that your butt was shrinking instead of growing even with cardio etc.?
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Squats.

Then some squats.

thumbs up, with rest days in between, and go as heavy as you can while maintaining good form.
    better to do 2 sets of quality squats than 150 mediocre squats and dead lifts too
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    depending on the starting size, it's generally a good thing when the booty is shrinking to be tighter, firmer.

running up stairs, or any kind of steep incline is fantastic cardio while great for the glutes.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, lunges, step ups, etc.

Your body will shrink in general if you're eating in a caloric deficit. You can't control where the weight comes off and where it doesn't, or when.

What you can do is attempt to maintain as much lean muscle mass as possible, which will help your bod look sexy and curvy, and tight as the fat comes off. Highly recommend this approach! Lift weights, eat at a modest deficit. Enjoy! :drinker:
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Squats.

Then some squats.

you seriously crack me up:) I agree!
  • Jane717
    Options
    depending on the starting size, it's generally a good thing when the booty is shrinking to be tighter, firmer.

running up stairs, or any kind of steep incline is fantastic cardio while great for the glutes.

But I'm flat everywhere else, I don't want it to shrink it's all I've got left :sad:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Squat with heavy things.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My lower body work out is this for 3x per week.

Day one: Deadlifts
    Bulgarian Split Squats with dumbells

Day Two: Squats
    Ham curls bodyweight with furniture moving pads under my heels

Day Three: Goblet Squats
    Romanian Dead lifts with dumbells or a kettlebell.

I have noticed a big difference since starting last August. My trainer has me lifting heavy for 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

Can you explain what these are? I have never heard of them.
  • helcart01
    helcart01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Isn't it strange how we always seem to lose the bits we don't want to! I'd love to lose my butt but it doesn't shift. However my boobs are shrinking and I didn't have much in the 1st place!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I do squats 2-3x a week, 4 sets/20 reps
    I also do some lunges, kickbacks, and donkey kicks.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My flat butt is slowly getting nicely rounded with squats, etc. I don't think your butt is going to disappear.