Very Frustrated

Options
This past weekend I got back on the band-wagon. I am exercising every day except Sundays; yesterday I even worked out in the morning and evening. Anyway I use the WII for weighing in each morning, and today it said I gained 1.5 pounds since yesterday. I wore the exact same thing as I did yesterday to work out in. The only difference in the time was I worked out about two hours earlier today than yesterday.

I did have a late evening supplement shake last night around 2200 hours, but other than that...and I was just trying to make up for calories I hadn't gotten yet!

Any suggestions on what I did wrong?

I did start the 30 day shred today!

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You didn't do a single thing wrong.

The average human body fluctuates as much as five pounds over the course of the day. Factors such as hydration levels, um, elimination levels, water retention for muscle recovery, variation in sodium, the list is almost endless.

Don't sweat it. Just keep sweating and keep the faith, and ignore little ups and downs on the scale, especially if you're weighing daily.
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    You're probably not doing anything wrong,sounds like you're doing everything right.I would suggest you not have anything after 7:30 pm and drink water like crazy,a gallon a day if you can.
    I also wouldn't put much effort into eating back your exercise calories or eating/drinking all of your cals,as long as you are close ,don't worry about anything less than 1200.
  • summersk
    summersk Posts: 59
    Options
    If you just started a harder workout than you're used to you may be holding water. Also if you haven't drank enough water during the day you may also be holding water. I weight first thing in the morning after I use the bathroom and before I do anything else, that's when doctors say that you get a "true weight" reading. If you're muscles are sore you're probably just holding on to some extra water weight, be sure to drink a little extra water today and that should help. :smile:
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Tanya -

What they said. :-)

If you can stand it, weigh in only once a week (I can't, but it is highly recommended). Also, measure. Sometimes that is more accurate than weight. Some things that can cause the scale to go up more dramatically on a day-to-day basis:
    salt
    bloating/gas
    TOM (time of month)
    insufficient water
    heavy work-outs (water retention in muscle tissue)

There may be more but those are the ones I know of.

Good luck!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You will drive yourself batty if you weigh everyday. Do it only once per week and on the same day per week. If you are exercising that much, you may not see the scale budge. You will just trade fat for muscle.
  • BellinghamBelle
    BellinghamBelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone has said so far. I know losing weight can be a complicated process, but as long as you make sure your "calories in" are less then "calories expended" in the course of a day you know that you cannot have gained weight. So if you're up, it must be due to some other factor. I agree with muth3rluvx2 - weigh once a week. It's a lot less stressful.

Keep it up!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh everyday! Weigh once a week. Our bodies fluctuate day-to-day and throughout the day because we're burning calories doing everyday things, eating, etc.
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I gained 3lbs in one day! I wanted to see how much I would, so I weighed myself in the morning and evening. You're doing everything right so don't be discouraged! If the scale doesn't change much do measurements! I only lost .3lbs this week but lost a couple inches too!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    What you did wrong: weigh yourself every day and expect to see the results of the day before on your scale the next day. :laugh:

Seriously, it doesn't work like that. It can take up to 72 hours to fully digest some foods. Then, you have water retention that is going to give you minor fluctuations in weight on a daily basis. Then, whenever you workout, your muscles need water to repair themselves. Finally, you need to weigh yourself at the same time every day under the same conditions.

Generally, I find that it takes about 2 days for what I've done to show up on the scale and that every time I increase the intensity of my workouts, that I don't lose or even gain for about a week until my body gets used to the new workout level.
  • jandv1991
    jandv1991 Posts: 19
    Options
    The scales can be very evil sometimes. I weigh every 30 days and take measurements in place of weighing often. The way your clothes fit will often be better results than what the scale says.
  • malishm
    malishm Posts: 10
    Options
    You probably didn't do anything wrong... it might just be because you drank that shake so late. I read somewhere that you need to eat at least 3 hours before you go to sleep, and I think a shake counts as eating something!! But other than that don't rush it, you'll lose the weight!!

Maranda
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113
    Options
    it's not safe to tell someone to drink a gallon of water per day without knowing more about that person (ht, wt, etc). Too much water can cause a dangerous condition called hyponatremia/water intoxication. This can be a deadly condition causing cerebral edema. Drink enough water to stay hydrated but not stay in the bathroom all day. To know if you are hydrated, your urine should be pale yellow to clear.
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    it's not safe to tell someone to drink a gallon of water per day without knowing more about that person (ht, wt, etc). Too much water can cause a dangerous condition called hyponatremia/water intoxication. This can be a deadly condition causing cerebral edema. Drink enough water to stay hydrated but not stay in the bathroom all day. To know if you are hydrated, your urine should be pale yellow to clear.

Sorry Dr. Agruber it works for me ,I doubt if drinking a gallon of water is going to be harmfull I have drank much more than that,but I don't know for sure as I am not a Dr.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    There's lots of reasons as stated before - even the type of food you eat per day can weigh different amounts. e.g. 100 calories of Steak vs 100 calories of milk will weigh two different amounts. Then speed of digestion and then when the "waste" processes occurr will change your weight.

As disgusting as this sounds, try this experiment.
    Weigh yourself before and after both going #1 and #2 at certain times of the day. It can be quite illuminating how much weight simply #1 can change ....let alone #2. This can make all the difference on your daily and time of day weigh ins.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    A gallon of water is only 128 oz. The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water (about 4 gallons) a day!

Water intoxication comes from drinking a lot of water in a short amount of time[/]. For example, when drinking a gallon in an hour or two as happens in water drinking contests, but not drinking that amount over the course of a day.

It also happens with athletes who are doing intense exercise and drink water but don't replace the electrolytes that they are also sweating out... for example, while doing an Ironman and sweating for 8-17 hours, not doing an aerobics class for an hour. :laugh:

It's a very rare condition and most of us don't have to worry about it.
  • bpullis
    bpullis Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't weigh everyday. It is common to vary 1-3 pounds due to fluid balance and other factors. Weighing in once per week, same day, same time will be more accurate. Keep up the good work!
  • McGruber03
    Options
    I work in a hospital and we see cases of hyponatrimia quite a bit. It's not as rare as you might think. I didn't say NO ONE could drink a gallon of water, I said it wasn't safe if you don't know that person's stats. Also, many people see drinking that much water as a chore, so they try to "get it over with" by lunch time. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i say weight every day and just know you are going to fluctuate. it is normal for your body weight to move around a bit, but if you are in it for the long term, you will begin to see trends with how your body reacts to certain foods and/or exercises. :) i weigh every day and have a healthy attitude about it. a higher number does not define me or ruin my day, any more than eating a serving of chips when it was not in my meal plan. it is really going to work out if you are more consistant than not.
    dawn