"Skinny Fat" and unable to shed love handles

Options
Hello everyone. I've been working out for around 3 months now, doing cardio for around 20 minutes and weights for around 40 minutes, 3 or 5 times per week. I have seen NO difference whatsoever. I gained muscle tone in my arms and legs, but they were already fine. I am already thin, I started working out just to try to lose a couple of inches from my waist, because I am skinny everywhere except around my hips. I am about to give up on the whole thing, because I've literally seen 0 progress, I mean not even half a centimeter. Advice please?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    When you say that you are doing weights, what does that mean exactly?
  • Jane717
    Jane717 Posts: 21
    Options
    I mean weight-training: 3 times a week, lower body/upper body/abs
  • mforsis
    mforsis Posts: 41
    Options
    I always figure it's how you look at the issue that counts. Here's what I think. Women are designed to have 'padding' so they can carry toddlers on their hips. The more 'padding' - the more comfortable the ride. Women are supposed to look curvey to distinguish them from men. Looks like you wear hipster pants. That traditionally was a man's cut for pants. All women have some 'muffin top' now because that is virtually the only cut of pant out there for women or men. Your picture shows you in great shape. Maybe don't stress so much about the padding. Eat healthy. Exercise so you feel good. Learn to love yourself. I bet one day you will look at the mirror and be surprised that when you weren't looking you achieved the shape you always wanted.

Best of Luck
  • Stoli24
    Stoli24 Posts: 14
    Options
    Diet is likely going to be the biggest culprit here. For two years I lifted weights or ran 3-4 miles almost 7 days a week but for some reason couldn't drop a single pound. I thought I was eating well too. Turns out, the eating is what was getting me. Once I picked up a food scale, planned out my meals, determined my desired calorie deficit and stuck to it... the pounds started coming off.

What's your diet look like?
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells has helped me most in that area, and Tae Bo is a good one too
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    cardio
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Diet is likely going to be the biggest culprit here. For two years I lifted weights or ran 3-4 miles almost 7 days a week but for some reason couldn't drop a single pound. I thought I was eating well too. Turns out, the eating is what was getting me. Once I picked up a food scale, planned out my meals, determined my desired calorie deficit and stuck to it... the pounds started coming off.

What's your diet look like?

QFT. Abs are made in the kitchen.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you want to get rid of fat you have to make sure your diet is right, too, you can't just workout and it magically disappear. Sorry.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    cardio
    ^^^WRONG^^^
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so you'll get answers that are more tailored to you.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Try doing the 30 day shred, have seen amazing results around hips, thighs, and lower abdomen.
    Inches lost doing 10 days of level 1 = 9. Scale moved just a bit, but 9 inches is seriously amazing!
  • kookanddra
    Options
    I have heard a lot of MFP friends talk about Julian Michaels 30 shred. By the end of the 30 days they are litterly loosing inches. Some have lost a couple after the first week or week and a half. I have tried to do it but used an excuse for what ever reason not to finish but I am going to do it again and can't wait to start. I have the inches on my hips, baby bump from having kids. I really think this is what is going to work for me. :smile: Good luck!!! Believe in yourself. It will happen!
  • HallerFitness
    Options
    cardio
    ^^^WRONG^^^

AGREE!!

Skinny-fat is the result of too much emphasis on cardio with a weak effort toward true muscle building.
    http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/tag/skinny-fat/
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    cardio
    ^^^WRONG^^^

Totally WRONG. Diet is the issue. Eat at a modest caloric deficit to lose fat and lift weights to retain lean muscle mass.
  • Jane717
    Options
    I eat properly too. I never eat junk food or fried food. I have 3 meals and usually 2 snacks per day, which include complex carbs, enough fiber, and protein in a good amount. This is why I'm so confused, I'm eating healthy and I'm exercising, so I don't know why I haven't seen any sign of progress after 12 weeks.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    cardio
    ^^^WRONG^^^

Agreed^

Wow! 3mos and giving up? That's more of a warm up. Weight training is not a quick fix. I have a nasty post partum gut. It's going to take time, but I'm okay with that. PATIENCE. And hire a good trainer or do the stronglifts.

Eta: yes, also agree diet is a huge part of it. Almost all of it. But it doesn't have to be squeaky clean. I do little to no cardio. I'd rather spend time lifting.
  • HallerFitness
    Options
    Google 5x5 workouts. You need more strnegth training where you max out. Muscle is how you reshape your body.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I eat properly too. I never eat junk food or fried food. I have 3 meals and usually 2 snacks per day, which include complex carbs, enough fiber, and protein in a good amount. This is why I'm so confused, I'm eating healthy and I'm exercising, so I don't know why I haven't seen any sign of progress after 12 weeks.
    Eating healthy doesn't mean anything if you're eating too much of it.

Do you have a food scale?
  • Jane717
    Options
    cardio
    ^^^WRONG^^^

Totally WRONG. Diet is the issue. Eat at a modest caloric deficit to lose fat and lift weights to retain lean muscle mass.

Some people have been telling me I should eat a little bit over my caloric requirements so that I can actually gain muscle mass, it's so confusing.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Genetics plays a big role. You can't control "where" you lose weight. All you can you is lose weight & workout .... maybe you will get the body shape you want ... maybe not. Just do your best.

When they talk about not being able to "spot" reduce ....this is what it means.