Totally discouraged. Haven't lost a pound

Options
So this week I decided I wanted to only weigh myself once, in a previous thread I discussed how I weighed myself frequently and the 'weight buffer' was extremely discouraging.

I haven't weighed myself since Sunday.

This week, I wanted to focus on exercising. I'm alternating days. One day will be heavy exercise (burning 700+ cals) and one day will be light (burning 100-200 cals, or really just any activity). So far so good. I haven't exercised yet today, but I will.

So, I made the mistake of stepping on the scale just a few minutes ago. I weighed myself on Sunday and I was 346ish.

Same exact thing today.

I'm comfortable eating about 2000-2100 calories a day. MFP recommends 1920, the Eat More, Weigh Loss program and BMR/TDEE calculations recommend about 2500. I'm exercising. I'm watching what I eat (did eat out a lot this week but made healthy choices).

I was 351 April 1. I figured being in the 330's by the end of the month would be great. Not to mention I'm going out of town next weekend and I'll have to bend my diet anywhere there.

This is extremely discouraging. Like...5lbs in 18 days is not what I wanted. Especially for someone who weighs 351. It's extremely annoying. ugh.

just venting.

Replies

• jdm0804
    jdm0804 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you aren't losing it as quickly as you want to. I know that in my experience, sometimes it takes a little while for your body to catch up with what you're doing. When I first started out I was 220, and I stayed there for about a month with consistent exercise and healthy eating, then it started dropping faster than I could keep up! (Granted, I gave up for about a year and gained most of it back just as fast, but that's not the point I'm trying to make here, just disclosure.)

Point being: Don't give up just because significant loss hasn't happened yet. If you never lose a pound, but are eating healthy and exercising, then you've already improved your lifestyle!
  • kgainez23
    kgainez23 Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm sorry that you aren't losing it as quickly as you want to. I know that in my experience, sometimes it takes a little while for your body to catch up with what you're doing. When I first started out I was 220, and I stayed there for about a month with consistent exercise and healthy eating, then it started dropping faster than I could keep up! (Granted, I gave up for about a year and gained most of it back just as fast, but that's not the point I'm trying to make here, just disclosure.)

Point being: Don't give up just because significant loss hasn't happened yet. If you never lose a pound, but are eating healthy and exercising, then you've already improved your lifestyle!

thanks
    i guess the most annoying part is i feel like my clothes are fitting a little better and i feel a little better.
    maybe it's all mental.
    i'll try to keep it up, though.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Me too, but we have to "keep the faith" and keep on keeping on. We know where giving up will get us, don't we? I have to admit that I haven't been as faithful to logging as I intend to be. I'm working on tightening up in that area.
  • impylaurie2
    impylaurie2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    5 pounds in 18 days is excellent. I have been doing this for about 2 months and have lost 9 pounds. We always want instant gratification and want the weight off now. When we are not watching our weight we just eat and think nothing about how these things are going to put weight on us. We just want to eat it now. This site has taught me to be patient. Stay below or at my calories and to move and workout. It is a mental thing. When I post what cardio I did and then go to eat something I think of all the work I just did at the gym and the energy it took after that I am so aware of what I eat to not mess up my calories. Patients and being consistant is the answer here.
  • kgainez23
    Options
    5 pounds in 18 days is excellent. I have been doing this for about 2 months and have lost 9 pounds. We always want instant gratification and want the weight off now. When we are not watching our weight we just eat and think nothing about how these things are going to put weight on us. We just want to eat it now. This site has taught me to be patient. Stay below or at my calories and to move and workout. It is a mental thing. When I post what cardio I did and then go to eat something I think of all the work I just did at the gym and the energy it took after that I am so aware of what I eat to not mess up my calories. Patients and being consistant is the answer here.

well, you're much smaller than I.
    and the 5 lbs happened in the first 7 days of this dieting/exercising.
    I don't get it.
    Sure I want instant gratification, but if I had lost 1lb I'd have a much better outlook right now.
    Right now I have a sore back, abs and arms, I spend $50 every couple days for good food and have 0 to show for.
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since Jan 1 and have only lost 8lbs however my body is transforming.
    I have lost several inches mostly in my hips and thighs. I'm down nearly 2 pant sizes and am finally a size S in tops.
    Don't give up!!! The payoff in the end is well worth the wait.
    Just have patience and stay active.
  • flyawayrach
    flyawayrach Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you should try measuring yourself. I learnt a while ago that watching your weight dip isn't actually that beneficial as you're gaining muscle mass etc. which weighs more than fat.
    So back in February I started using a tap measure to track my waist, hips and bust changing - and it really helps! I didn't step on the scales until this month and, although I knew I'd already lost weight as I had lost 3 inches from my waist and 4.5 off my hips, the scales also concluded I'd lost 20lbs. It just goes to show really, it takes time an commitment. The measuring makes me feel tonnes better as I know I'm on track, and you know when you drop a dress size too! :)
  • kgainez23
    Options
    I've been at this since Jan 1 and have only lost 8lbs however my body is transforming.
    I have lost several inches mostly in my hips and thighs. I'm down nearly 2 pant sizes and am finally a size S in tops.
    Don't give up!!! The payoff in the end is well worth the wait.
    Just have patience and stay active.

yea I'm thinking about measuring myself as well
    my mom says she can even see my 'weight loss', and like I said i feel different.
    I just would like to lose the fat. smh.
    but thank you.
  • kathrynsmcmullen
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm 5'6 and weigh 148 pounds. I eat about 1200 calories everyday, which to be honest, makes me guilty, so I end up hopping on the treadmill. I weigh myself frequently, and usually end up seeing results. Make sure to cut your regular amount of calories by 500, don't work out too hard, and don't eat after dinner, PERIOD. Don't eat 3 hours before bed. If you have a slower metabolism, try 4. Make sure to keep whole wheat like bread and cereal out of your diet as much as possible. If you make eggs, take the yolk out. Decrease the stress you have in your life, and get plenty of rest.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    So this week I decided I wanted to only weigh myself once, in a previous thread I discussed how I weighed myself frequently and the 'weight buffer' was extremely discouraging.

This week, I wanted to focus on exercising. I'm alternating days. One day will be heavy exercise (burning 700+ cals) and one day will be light (burning 100-200 cals, or really just any activity). So far so good. I haven't exercised yet today, but I will.

So, I made the mistake of stepping on the scale just a few minutes ago. I weighed myself on Sunday and I was 346ish.

Same exact thing today.

I'm comfortable eating about 2000-2100 calories a day. MFP recommends 1920, the Eat More, Weigh Loss program and BMR/TDEE calculations recommend about 2500. I'm exercising. I'm watching what I eat (did eat out a lot this week but made healthy choices).

I was 351 April 1. I figured being in the 330's by the end of the month would be great. Not to mention I'm going out of town next weekend and I'll have to bend my diet anywhere there.

This is extremely discouraging. Like...5lbs in 18 days is not what I wanted. Especially for someone who weighs 351. It's extremely annoying. ugh.

just venting.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but 5 lbs in 18 days is on pace for 2 lbs/week. What more are you looking for?
  • TracieLemke1
    Options
    If you don't excercise very often before, just remember - Muscle weighs more than fat and Muscle burns more fat. So, if you can add some weight training to your exercise, that would be a plus. Also, if you are losing weight and gaining muscle and still weight the same this week than last week - Well, you actually lost fat and gained muscle to help burn more calories later! Keep up the hard work and keep chosing to eat healthy! (also a note - what you think may be healthy going out to eat, may not be very healthy). Check menu's BEFORE going to the restaraunt. they usually have nutrition guides available online to view. Good luck with your weight loss! We are all rooting for you!!!!
  • kgainez23
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm 5'6 and weigh 148 pounds. I eat about 1200 calories everyday, which to be honest, makes me guilty, so I end up hopping on the treadmill. I weigh myself frequently, and usually end up seeing results. Make sure to cut your regular amount of calories by 500, don't work out too hard, and don't eat after dinner, PERIOD. Don't eat 3 hours before bed. If you have a slower metabolism, try 4. Make sure to keep whole wheat like bread and cereal out of your diet as much as possible. If you make eggs, take the yolk out. Decrease the stress you have in your life, and get plenty of rest.

i'm 5'8''
  • scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've been at 9 lbs. lost since the first week I joined, but I eat healthy, and stay within the calories guideline, that MFP suggest, and I do actually feel Physically healthier. I need to lose 50 lbs, to get back to a healthy BMI not Obese weight level. Just keep working at it.
  • kgainez23
    Options

Same exact thing today.

just venting.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but 5 lbs in 18 days is on pace for 2 lbs/week. What more are you looking for?

like i said the 5lbs came off in my first 7 days. actually it was 7lbs. gained 2 back.
    not saying i want to lose 5 a week. just saying why would it come off that quick week 1 and no other time? I was under the impression and have been told larger people lose weight quicker for reasons.
  • thershey
    thershey Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I don't get it.
    Sure I want instant gratification, but if I had lost 1lb I'd have a much better outlook right now.
    Right now I have a sore back, abs and arms, I spend $50 every couple days for good food and have 0 to show for.

Your answer may be in your sore muscles....Sore muscles retain water, this may be the answer to your question. Eat some bananas and drink lots of water the next couple of days. Give your muscles time to repair, make sure you are giving yourself a rest day. Just be patient it will happen. I have noticed that if I work out hard and am sore I may gain a lb or so and then when the soreness goes away I am usually down a little bit.
    Just keep at it and eventually you will see changes. It is not all about the number on the scale either, You are making a lifestyle change and that is what is most improtant. The numbers on the scale will change eventually!
  • kgainez23
    Options
    If you don't excercise very often before, just remember - Muscle weighs more than fat and Muscle burns more fat. So, if you can add some weight training to your exercise, that would be a plus. Also, if you are losing weight and gaining muscle and still weight the same this week than last week - Well, you actually lost fat and gained muscle to help burn more calories later! Keep up the hard work and keep chosing to eat healthy! (also a note - what you think may be healthy going out to eat, may not be very healthy). Check menu's BEFORE going to the restaraunt. they usually have nutrition guides available online to view. Good luck with your weight loss! We are all rooting for you!!!!

i do a circuit which includes weight training.
    i guess i'll just have to believe that i'm building muscle. which is not what i desire. i'd like to fat first and get muscle later.
  • kgainez23
    Options

I don't get it.

Your answer may be in your sore muscles....Sore muscles retain water, this may be the answer to your question. Eat some bananas and drink lots of water the next couple of days. Give your muscles time to repair, make sure you are giving yourself a rest day. Just be patient it will happen. I have noticed that if I work out hard and am sore I may gain a lb or so and then when the soreness goes away I am usually down a little bit.
    Just keep at it and eventually you will see changes. It is not all about the number on the scale either, You are making a lifestyle change and that is what is most improtant. The numbers on the scale will change eventually!

hey thanks. will do. right now actually. lol
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Same exact thing today.

just venting.

like i said the 5lbs came off in my first 7 days. actually it was 7lbs. gained 2 back.
    not saying i want to lose 5 a week. just saying why would it come off that quick week 1 and no other time? I was under the impression and have been told larger people lose weight quicker for reasons.

2 lbs/wk is what you can expect, but it's not linear. You will see it come off in waves then not at all. Doesn't mean that you are doing anything wrong. That's just how it is. With life, work, etc., no one can expect Biggest Loser results. You're doing fine. Keep at it and you will see the results you want.
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

So this one confuses me. You are my height and a little lighter - 8 lbs. My BRM is way over what you eat in a day. 1464.. Can I ask how your results have been? Also if someone else has input on the time of day question this brings up (eating 3 hours before bed).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    As I understand, you are actually upset because you haven't lost any weight in five days?

I NEVER lose any weight in the beginning of the week. If I am going to lose, it shows up on Thursday at the earliest, more often Friday. I may then lose more over the next day or two, but not usually.

Furthermore, this is the reason you agreed to not weigh in. This process is not about instant results! It is a long term project that will see many milestones and more than a few setbacks. The only thing that matters is that today you eat healthy, in both quantity and quality. Any time you don't do that, you just start doing it again the very next time you make food choices.

It is important to be honest with yourself, log everything, and trust the program.