Belly fat to 6-pack abs.

Options
Hello all,

I have been working out (mainly walking to reduce the fat) I've dropped 28 pounds since November 2012. I recently started strength training (lifting weights, sit ups, etc.). My questions are; How long will it take to develop the 6-pack abs and lose the rest of my belly fat. What is the best way to go from Belly fat to 6-pack abs? Are they any particular exercised I should be doing? When I do my sit ups/crunches should I use extra weights? Any advice/tips are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advanced for your suggestions.

Replies

• helenguenther75
    Options
    bump for later
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    abs begins in the kitchen but i know that already...

what i want are the tips so im bumping for later
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts and squats....working for me.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    All compound heavy lifts will help your tummy - but you cannot spot reduce so you just have to keep burning fat and eventually it iwll come off you middle - I am still working on mine but have had 4" of progress in 2.5 months of heavy lifting (Squats, deadlifts, OHpress, crunches, planks, rows, HIIT, etc...). I follow the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I have never been happier (and I finally beleive that I can have a flat stomach!).
  • Jerry863
    Jerry863 Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm not trying to spot reduce, I just want to bring out my abs. My stomach is getting pretty flat now, I just want to define my abs. Also what about the side abs, (aka love handles), they are pretty much gone as well, how do I work those abs to get them defined?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The big compound lifts really work your abs. Planks and their variations are awesome as well. Russian twists, bicycle crunches, floor wipers and windmills (I think they're called that, You hold a weight above your head in one arm and then do a side bend) really work the sides. I like the ab centered programs on the befit Channel on YouTube, their 30 day 6 pack abs program. The strength routines are really great. I also like Pop Pilates/blogilates for her ab workouts. I like Pilates inspired core routines quite a bit.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    PM I'll tell you how to do it.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    (1) Through proper diet and exercise, decrease your BF to 10% (for males this is typically when abs start to show).

(a) Directly train your abs/obliques with ab routines - some individuals do weighted ab exercises, some choose not to. if you plan on going the weighted route, it has been recommended not to use weights while training obliques. doing so has the potential to make you look wider. weight training your front abdominals will create thicker abs. there are arguments on both sides of the fence about weighted - vs - non weighted ab routines.

OR

(b) Focus on compound lifts instead. I know guys who never train abs directly. but through proper diet and compound lifts have ripped 6 packs.

hope this helps.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have seen the biggest change in my midsection due to heavy lifting in other areas. An example is squats. You have to keep your tummy real tight while doing those to keep good form and it actually works them pretty good. In addition I do ab workouts (you can find PLENTY online) but you will never have a 6 pack if you don't eat right. Abs really are made in the kitchen.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    (1) Through proper diet and exercise, decrease your BF to 10% (for males this is typically when abs start to show).

(a) Directly train your abs/obliques with ab routines - some individuals do weighted ab exercises, some choose not to. if you plan on going the weighted route, it has been recommended not to use weights while training obliques. doing so has the potential to make you look wider. weight training your front abdominals will create thicker abs. there are arguments on both sides of the fence about weighted - vs - non weighted ab routines.

OR

(b) Focus on compound lifts instead. I know guys who never train abs directly. but through proper diet and compound lifts have ripped 6 packs.

hope this helps.

Yes. Especially with B.

Ditto...
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Since everyone is mentioning "Compound Lifts", I googled and found this helpful link.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118920551&page=1
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Since everyone is mentioning "Compound Lifts", I googled and found this helpful link.

AMAZING link!!
  • jporter2004
    jporter2004 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

AMAZING link!!

^^This! Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    BUMP