Feeling defeated and lost

Options
I feel like I will never reach my goal. I have less and less motivation everyday. I lost 20 lbs then gained 8 back and have spent the last 6 weeks fighting to get it back off. :( I feel like time is a huge issue for me because I can only do things after I put my kids to bed then I forfeit what little time I have with my husband to go to the gym. At the gym I feel totally uncomfortable and don't really know what I am doing.

I have cut down my food intake, trying to move more and make healthier choices but nothing seems to be helping. My husband is also on his own weight loss journey and has lost 45 lbs and 6 in in his waist and it makes me sick. He only goes to the gym 2 maybe 3 times a week and eats worse than I do. :(

I just feel lost and I do not want to get bigger, I already have a hard time keeping up with my kids. I don't know what I need, I just know what I am doing isn't working. Anyone else feel this way or know of something that can help me?

Replies

• Zehornet
    Zehornet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Ember.

I'm sorry to read that you are having a rough time. As someone who works full-time and has a three hour total commute time, I can empathize with your feelings regarding limited time availability and trying to keep some time for yourself and your husband.

This weight gain: did you binge or otherwise stray from your diet? If you stayed the course all this time, it could be water, muscle, or magic fairydust (the body can really just do what it wants without any explanation). You said that you have been trying to remain fairly active so it could be muscle repair, even if on minimal level or otherwise just weight fluctuation. When did you start this? Are you getting close to that TOM, or otherwise on contraceptives? What about hypothyroidism for example?

As for the hubby's comparative success - I can relate. I have been doing this with my SO and he seems to be peeling off the pounds as well with seemingly less effort. Though remember that hormones play an enormous role on metabolism and as women ours will never be whipped into action by crazy testosterone.

The one thing I can recommend is that you stay the course: stick to your new lifestyle and try not to compare yourself to the progress of others. Bodies are unique at metabolic levels and what works for someone (or so it seems) could not necessarily work for you! Try to remember that this is a lifestyle change and that eventually your body will get the message and..SHAPE UP!:drinker:
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oh no, so sorry to hear that you're getting frustrated! First of all, don't compare your weight loss journey to that of your husband's- men's metabolisms are completely different and they tend to drop weight more quickly. But if he's not being careful about what he eats though, he'll eventually stop losing until he makes healthier choices...

Does your gym have a day care? Or could you have someone watch your kids so you and your husband can go to the gym together? Does your gym offer cardio classes, or even cardio/strength combo classes? That could be a way to get a little extra exercise and have fun at the same time! I used to HATE the gym and was really intimidated by both the people and the machines. But you know what? No one there really actually cares what you look like, because they're all too busy looking at themselves! True story! So what if you get looks? You are there for YOU, not for them to be judgmental. As for being uncomfortable not knowing what you're doing- can you buy a few sessions with a personal trainer to show you how to work the machines and give you a circuit routine for you to do on your own? That will help immensely! I'm with my pt 2-3 times a week, and random people are often approaching us and asking him how to do stuff while he's working with me. While I don't like it all the time (I'm paying for him!), I'm proud of those that ask how to do something right.

Or check out some videos on YouTube or www.nerdfitness.com which both have lots of instructional videos and work out plans and videos. Can you squeeze something in during the day while you're with your kids? Or go for walks with your kids? Every little bit helps.

I didn't look at your food journal (is it open?), and you said you're eating healthier- are you log consistently and are you meeting your calorie goals or consistently going over? Or even under? Change what you eat for a week, reduce carbs, increase lean protein, drink lots of water, something like that, and see what happens... and I agree with Zehornet- any number of factors can effect the scale, and don't weigh yourself every day!

Please don't let your weight gain and frustration at not losing stop you from achieving your goal! Look at your kids and your family, and use them as your motivation- do it all together! Keep coming onto MFP, and let us help motivate you!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You took the words right from my brain. I feel the exact same way you do today. Sucks and its pretty sh**tty to feel this way.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I too have the "kids home all day syndrome"... Have you thought about purchasing a jogging stroller? I got one off of craigslist for $50.00. I've never been big on going to the gym. And once my kids got too big for the baby jogger, I bought a treadmill (I know it sucks, but better than nothing). I'm sure they have those on ctraigslist as well... It has saved me so much in terms of travel time, and I am always available if the kids need me for anything, and I have the freedom to work out any time. For me, the treadmill was a very "freeing" investment. I can even still work out if my kids are sick!
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The situation sucks. I feel for you. But time spent feeling this way will only make it worse. Try going when you can make it, dont have to be everyday. Three day a week full body routine could do you well. Eating good will help, but if you really want to see results you must pick yourself up and start fighting again, thats really the only thing we can do when we hit a brickwall.
  • x_tina324
    x_tina324 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! The only time I have to myself is when I go to the bathroom, so I actually started doing body weight exercises everytime I go. I started drinking more water to force myself to go more, so I can do squats or pushups or lunges. Ridiculous!!! But that is what it has come down to.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hey doll,
    The glaring thing in your post is that you feel uncomfortable at the gym. If that's the case, do something else. I also dislike going to the gym, mainly because I have to drive there, park, put my bag in the lockers, blah blah blah. Then I get there and I see all these people following routines I have no idea about. It's just not my element....yet. Sometimes you have to work your way up to it and make do with what you can do for now.

This past week, I've been doing Zumba dvd's and sending my husband upstairs to watch cartoons. They run about 45 minutes to an hour and they allow me to move my body in the privacy of my own home. Trust me, I dislike working out but surprisingly, the time passes fast and I am definitely burning calories and sweating.

If you don't like Zumba, try another dvd of some kind. There are so many beneficial ones. You could also lock yourself in your bedroom, put on your favorite high energy music and dance for a half hour. Once you've seen improvement in your fitness and your body, I think you'll definitely want to get more active out of excitement.

Don't give up! You're doing really well. You just need to find stuff you want to do and it will work for you.
    And don't forget, underestimate the amount of calories you are burning, overestimate the calories you are eating. That helps a lot.
  • MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When you're feeling down and lost, just remember, "The Minions Love You" =)
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I feel like I will never reach my goal. I have less and less motivation everyday. I lost 20 lbs then gained 8 back and have spent the last 6 weeks fighting to get it back off. :( I feel like time is a huge issue for me because I can only do things after I put my kids to bed then I forfeit what little time I have with my husband to go to the gym. At the gym I feel totally uncomfortable and don't really know what I am doing.

I have cut down my food intake, trying to move more and make healthier choices but nothing seems to be helping. My husband is also on his own weight loss journey and has lost 45 lbs and 6 in in his waist and it makes me sick. He only goes to the gym 2 maybe 3 times a week and eats worse than I do. :(

I just feel lost and I do not want to get bigger, I already have a hard time keeping up with my kids. I don't know what I need, I just know what I am doing isn't working. Anyone else feel this way or know of something that can help me?

Do you and your husband work out together?
  • Montanarush
    Options
    I did the same thing around the holidays. I gained back 11 lbs, which doesn't seem like much, but was really hard to lose. I am doing the green coffee bean extract now and I lost 15 lbs in a month, which isn't bad for a 58 yr old guy. Also the raspberry ketones and garcinia cambogia sound promising especially the latter. I read where the fat has a hard time coming back after you lose it. Don't know but it sounds good. I don't care for those "diet pills" but these seem to work and they are good for you. And no side effects so far.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Could you guys all do something active together in the evenings? It would be good for the whole family.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Y near you? Many of them offer free day care, and some of them have family exercise classes (like playing with your kids in the pool). They have family memberships to help save money, along with programs that will reduce your membership fee if your income is below a certain point.

If you work, is there a chance your husband could take on some kid duties in the evening so you have an hour to do a workout video? You guys could alternate days so he has a chance to exercise too. My parents used to do that when my mom took college classes. Dad would help us with homework and take care of us some days so Mom could do homework, and then Mom would do all of that while he played softball and volleyball with his friends.

If you're a SAHM, maybe you could take the kids for walks or bike rides, depending on their ages. If they're still young, pushing the stroller is a great workout, especially if your neighborhood is hilly. :)
  • dyoung92082
    dyoung92082 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. My daughter will be 2 in 2 months and I want to lose this weight for her. I lost 10 lbs and gained that all back and them some. Now I am back down but still 6 pounds heavier than when I lost the 10 so I'm still in the rears. I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. It sucks.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    While I can understand having to wait till the children are in bed to go to the gym, I can't imagine any reason someone would have to wait until they were in bed to move. So, don't go to the gym. Gyms are not necessary to be fit and healthy.

You want to keep up with your kids, then there is your exercise. Depending on their age, walk/run with them, crawl with them, chase them, climb with them, ride bikes with them, play active video games with them (Wii Fit, Just Dance, Zumba, etc.), swim with them, sleigh ride with them, toss them in the air, pull them in a wagon, play basketball, kickball, whiffle ball, tennis with them.

Stop focusing on what you can't do and get creative with what you can. You can move. You can burn calories. You can improve fitness.
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this! As long as you know that you can, you will succeed!!!

You don't need to go to the gym to burn calories and get exercise. Do you have a gaming system like WII, with movement? If not, you can probably find a used one somewhere...buy those dance craze games and dance with your children!

If you don't like to dance, it is getting so nice outside...go for walks with them. Take them to the park and walk around the playground while they play. Get outside and enjoy spring! The sunshine will increase your vitamin D AND help your mood!

Take that 30 day squat challenge that is currently being posted all over the internet. Start by doing 50 squats today, 55, tomorrow, 60 the next, then rest on the fourth. Look for the challenge...its out there...

As for your husband...men always seem to lose weight without much effort. Its not just that their metabolism is higher due to their muscle mass...its also their testostorine levels. But no one ever said life was fair. Don't let it get you down..."accept the things you cannot change." Remember...your weight loss journey is your own and this is NOT a competition.

So, repeat after me..."I can do this. I know I can. I know I can. I know I can." Picture yourself slim...imagine the pretty outfits you will buy when you are. You got this girl!

~Marsha
  • carstanger
    carstanger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello! I know how you feel. I tried Planet Fitness and really hate the gym. I joined the Y, go to water aerobics, and finally got a treadmill again. My husband gave ours to our daughter years ago, because I wasn't using it. I'm now using the one I just got because I can do it when I want to. I turn on the TV and watch something recorded so I can fast forward through the ads or crank up my music. I am 66 and am going to do a 5 K in May. Will probably have to walk it as I had knee replacement 2 years ago. Started out only walking 2 miles per hour and now can walk at 3.0 so I'm showing improvement. Getting the water in and eating higher protein and no bread, pasta, etc at this point because I had surgery. We are here for you! Don't give up. Carol
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    Your diary is locked.. Do not give up.. Think this thought when you wake up each day.. How can I be fitter and happier.
    One leads to the other. Exercise whenever you have a free moment.. Do a situp, push up, twist at the waist do anything
    you can when you can.
  • kjsupermom01
    Options
    Hey Girl
    First stop beating yourself up. The fact that you even care is enough to start with. I really like the post below me too.
    Time is not the enemy. What you want to do is learn to life better,healthier lives,right. Start today and take baby steps,learn all you can about healthy eating. Buy healthy food. Walk whenever you can,even with the kids. I hated the Gym, I prefer the out doors. it lifts my mood and is good for my health(sunshine). On rainy days the mall works too. One thing you can do at home w kids is turn on youtube videos and dance ,the kids will love it too. Life is too short not to have fun and you can have fun,once you want to live differently,rather than feel like you have too or ought too.
    I wish you wellness and happiness
    Karen
  • fitznewme2013
    Options
    I am in kinda the same situation. I walk 5 days a week at a local walking track while my husband is at work and my oldest is in school and i take the baby in the stroller. 2-3 days a week my mom goes with me to walk with the baby so i can do c25k ( cant afford a jogging stroller at the current moment ) if my baby takes a nap i do the 30ds and if he doesn't then i wait till after he goes to bed and make my husband do it with me because that is "our" time together. Also try and find things to do together or as a family that is a little more active. Go for a small hike, trip to the park,or chuck e cheese ( aint nothing like chasing kids around for a few hours) doesnt have to be "work" make it fun. What ever it takes!

As far as the progress your husband is making 1 you should be proud and 2 you should use that as your motivation and use it as a friendly competition even if your the only one who knows about it! don't let others success bring you down. Focus on your own success day by day. could be that you went for a extra 10 minute walk or you decided to eat a apple instead of a bag of chips. those are just examples but i think you get the point.

YOU are the only one is who gonna change YOU. i always remind myself that every day. Sometimes your gonna fall but pick yourself back up and always remember why you started! You can do this! It wont happen over night and could take you 5 years but you can do it as long as you want it and are willing to make the changes to do it!

Good luck to you and I wish you the best!
  • gsimrall
    gsimrall Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, ember. You didn't mention your age, but I can tell you what happened to me, and suggest something you might try.

Up until my early 40's, I was always at a healthy weight, never had much of an issue. But once I hit about 44, my body...no...my hormones, started to revolt. No matter what I did, eliminating sugar, eliminating meat, eliminating alcohol, working out regularly, etc., my body continued to put on the weight. I gained 45 pounds.

I finally went to an endocrinologist and had all kinds of tests were done, FSH, Thyroid, glucose, blah blah blah. Though my numbers were in the "normal range" they were all on the higher end of the spectrum. The other awful thing that happened is my blood pressure went up terribly. Because of my symptoms, my endo doc suggested the DASH diet. I had never heard of it. Primarily developed for reducing hypertension, it is also has a wonderful side effect; increasing potassium, and other important minerals.

I went to the library and got the book. I followed the menus. Amazingly, I started to lose weight. During a follow up exam, more tests were done. Interestingly, my thyroid numbers moved lower. Insulin fell to a lower range. I sleep better, and the blood pressure is lower (which was really important for me).

My long winded point is this; hormones play an important role in a woman's body, and it is VERY easy to unintentionally get them out of whack. The littlest things can do it. Alcohol is a major culprit when it comes to goofing up a gal's hormones. Once they are out of whack, it's important to try to get them to "reset". Usually that is through diet modification, either a little, or a lot.

I've lost 13 pounds thus far, and I am happy to say that the current diet is not terribly difficult to follow, and is something I can live with (though I do miss my wine with cooking/dinner routine).

At any rate; it might be worth visiting an endocrinologist to see where your hormones and levels are. If your numbers are on the higher end, you may be "out of range" for what's normal for YOU.