Beginner - strength training.. need a routine

Options
I have never really lifted weights or done any type of strength training. Right now my exercise consists of walking and zumba. Can anyone give me pointers on what type of routine I would need to start with?

Replies

• jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has plenty of beginner level programs with video for proper form and also sample nutrition plans to get you started.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym or home gym? You'll need some equipment. I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women - excellent beginner program.
  • kbeaumont88
    kbeaumont88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have never really lifted weights or done any type of strength training. Right now my exercise consists of walking and zumba. Can anyone give me pointers on what type of routine I would need to start with?

I'm in the same boat. Right now I do Zumba and boot camp, but I want to start to get a gym routine. I was thinking 30 minutes of cardio and then weights... my confusion is that I hear people do "leg day" or "arm day" should you split them up... or can you do both a few days a week? And if you do split them up... what do you recommend for 3 days.... 1 day arms, 1 day legs, and 1 day core?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There are numerous weight lifting programs out there. Personally, I'm partial to strength training for newbies...build a good foundation and go from there.

Look at New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, or Strong Lifts 5x5. I definitely recommend reading both NRoLfW and SS.

IMHO, hypertrophy programs are a waste of time when you're eating at a deficit...you're only going to make modest strength gains and you can't really build any appreciable muscle on a deficit. Equally, doing routines that consist of **** tons of reps is a waste of time...you'd be better served doing circuit training or something.

Really, OP, your program is going to be defined by your lifting/fitness goals.
  • keelerangela
    keelerangela Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do have a gym membership so that will help. Okay Ill check those programs out!