weight loss for wheelchair user

Options
Hello All,
I am hoping to connect with others trying to loose weight who also have mobility related disabilities. I have had weight issues for more than 20 years and have been in a powerchair for 10 years. Because of mutiple disabilities I have unable to do much excerise * other than swimming in the summer) for the last decade. I am a professional in the field of rehabilitaton-- and because of my work I know that others share my same challenges. Hoping that we can form a group and support each other. I am a female who has two grown children and a granddaughter who has a very busy life.... Weight loss has to be part of that so that I can remain independant. Any ideas would be appreciated. I found this site 6 weeks ago and have lost 8 pounds. BTW:smile: , I do swim in the summer and recommend that for others in my situation. Not to mention that my youngest son is getting married in October and the weight has to be down! Best of luck to all of you!

Replies

• tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi Grammie!

I don't have any mobility related issues, but I'd like to give you just a few ideas of some exercises you can do. But, I would like to say that it's awesome that you are an avid swimmer. Keep up with that!

You should try to incorporate some strength training in with your swimming. I found this site on the internet and it gives some wonderful examples! http://www.nia.nih.gov/HealthInformation/Publications/ExerciseGuide/chapter04a.htm

Congrats on your youngest son getting married soon! You'll be ready...no worries! Also major congrats on your weight loss already. That's awesome!! Keep up the great work!

Tina
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You could also check out an exercise DVD from Beachbody called "Tony & The Folks!" It's priced reasonably and you could order it from me. My website is located on my profile page.

My mom was doing this workout for awhile, but our little church exercise group sort of dissolved when everyone got busy doing other things. She enjoyed it!
  • tammislance
    tammislance Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i have a group for the physically challenged on here. i try to research ways for those of us in wheelchairs or with limited mobility to lose weight. others have also shared some really good information on this topic in my group too. you are more than welcome to come check it out and join if you choose. using this app i have lost 26 pounds in less than 100 days.