2»

Replies

• karajulie
    karajulie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cindywhitley1
    Options
    Try a little yellow mustard in place of the butter on the outside of the bread. We think it tastes better that way!

That sounds GOOD!!! I'll have to try that. Thanks :)
  • WolowitzTimestwo
    WolowitzTimestwo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am no expert., but it's bread.,.,,., and cheese.
    Not great diet food. I agree with those who say make a regular one and exercise it out.
    Good alternative suggestions though. Thanks.
  • CanadianDot
    CanadianDot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second using a contact grill. It makes the outside crispy, cheese melty, and you don't have to use any extra fat. Also, if you use shredded cheese, you get more coverage with less cheese.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Good artisan wheat bread.

smoked provolone and smoked cheddar.

dark brown, grainy mustard.

Thinly sliced onion.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone said. Pam, no oil, toaster ovens, grill presses... tried them all, even the toaster and microwave method. It's a trial and error kind of thing, I think everyone has to find their own take on grilled cheese.

Especially the part about using shredded cheese (I prefer block vs bagged) because you can spread less cheese further.

I'm particularly found of tomatoes to bulk it up without extra cheese, too. (Plus, no need for the soup that way!)

And that mustard, thing? OMG... I think I love that poster. Never thought of it and sounds like 1,000 kinds of deliciousness.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee 45-calorie bread, Pam spray, and about 1 oz of grated cheddar. Next time, I might try Parmesan instead.
  • WatchMeSoar
    WatchMeSoar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Check out hungry girl. She has lots of good recipes here is a link to a few.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/2591 :drinker:
  • GraeKat
    GraeKat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Use a waffle iron, foreman grill, or panini press. You don't have to use any oil at all. . just bread and cheese. I use my Foreman grill with Sprouted wheat bread and only an ounce of whatever kind of cheese I have. No butter or anything else. Put the cheese on the bread. Sandwich together. . then press. . flip the sandwich (only because I like the lines on mine criss crossing). . and press again. Tastes amazing!! And my kids love it.
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Moderation. Use less butter and less cheese, and pick a lower cal bread? There might be some way to do away with the butter entirely, by using Pam perhaps, but if I want a grilled cheese - I want it done right :D

Exactly. If eaten once in awhile in moderation, I just make them the way that I like, which is with a little butter, good American cheese from the deli, whole wheat bread... yum! I don't want to eat a grilled cheese sprayed with Pam.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating a different kind of grilled cheese than the typical slathered and butter and fried kind.

We would have them as open faced sandwiches, so 1 slice of bread, cover with slices of cheese (tomatos are good on this too.) and put in the oven on broil until cheese melted and bread was crispy.

Toasted cheese sandwiches! We made them under the broiler. Toast one side of bread until golden brown, flip, add cheese. Toast until cheese is browned. The tomatoes under the cheese are awesome. Haven't made one in years. That's why I love the forums!
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I know what I'm having for lunch after reading this post. My version of grilled cheese made under the broiler of my toaster oven:

Thomas Engllish Muffin 1/3 Fiber - 100 calories, 8 grams of fiber, 10 grams of calcium
    1 ounce low fat shredded mozzarella - 80 calories, 20 grams calcium

Less than 200 calories, 30 grams calcium, and 8 grams fiber. Very filling and stays with you for hours. Add a salad with light dressing and you've got a balanced meal for under 300 calories.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no such thing!
    That's what I was thinking! If I'm having grilled cheese, I want a regular not healthy grilled cheese. So either I'll have to workout harder or limit my calories during the day.

Me too. My grilled cheese is 500-600 cals! Three cheeses, Thick bread, real butter, tomato, and sometimes bacon...I'm fighting back the drool
  • justfine2009
    justfine2009 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it's not butter spray and 40 calorie bread (nature's own)......YUM
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I go with the light bread (Aunt Millie's whole grain light at 35 calories a slice), then use real butter (1 tablespoon at 100 cals) and real thin-sliced cheese (Sargento thin, 2 slices for 80 calories or 3 for 120).

250 or 290 calories, depending on whether I go with 2 or 3 slices of cheese--good for a hearty snack, or add some soup and/or salad to make it a meal.

One slice of pre-cooked bacon adds only 27 calories. Just pointing that out.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    A dice up a couple tomatoes, shred some fresh basil, and let it marinate in some basalmic vinegar for a couple of hours (or overnight), then use a little shredded mozzarella and whole wheat bread and grill that baby up. It's basically drool-worthy.