63 yr old Grandma & I'm just starting

Options
Hi! As the subject says, I'm a 63 yr old grandma (turning 64 on the 30th of this month) and I started MyFitnessPal a week ago. My oldest son and I have a bet going to see who can loose 40 lbs first. We're weighing in the first of every month for the next 12 months to test our progress. We chose 12 months because a year from now his oldest son (my grandson) will graduate from HS and I know I don't want to look and feel like the fat old lady I have become.

I'm sick and tired of looking at myself in the mirror and saying "the reason you look fat is because you are fat." Don't get me wrong, I'm not depressed or feeling bad about myself, I'm just being honest and I'm disgusted with the fact that I have really let myself "go" these past 34 years. That's how long I've been married to my wonderful husband. I was 5'3" and weighed 123 lbs when we were married.

My deceased Mother-in-law once said to me, "2 lbs. a year doesn't seem like much unless it's over a 40 year period". How right she was. I'm just under the 2 lbs a year gain (married for 34 years and now weigh 182 lbs) but if I hadn't decided to get a handle on this I'm quite sure I would have passed the 2 lbs a year gain within the next couple of years.

So far I like keeping track of what I eat and I see this site working wonders in achieving my goal. Only advice I have for other beginners is "hang in there, you're not alone!"

Replies

• turryandsally
    turryandsally Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a grandma, too - and welcome to MFP. It has definitely helped me stay focused. Best wishes.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I'm new here too (joined 2 weeks ago!) and I find logging in daily, keeping an honest food diary, and reading these message boards so very helpful! Hopefully you will too :) I'm a 55 y/o grandma with a similar story (probably gained about 2 lbs a year the past few decades).

Good luck!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am a 58 year old grandma. I started back in February at 165. I have lost about 25lbs so far.
  • jwhitch
    jwhitch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm a grandma too and will turn 60 in the fall. I've been on MFP for almost a year and it's been a big factor in my ability to lose the weight. It's never too late to turn things around! Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me if you like.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Well welcome to the jungle honey! Some people use this site strictly for the diary. Others use it for the diary and weight check-ins. Some are creepers to the forums.

I use it for EVERYTHING...social site, diary, check ins, creeping, etc. I hope you love it as much as I do, and I'm celebrating 105 days today. :D
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all ! I'm with MizTerry -summed up quite nicely. I use it for everything and it's great. I started in January and just completed 100 days. I'm 57 and while I dont have grandkids yet (I do have 2 daughters 22 and 19), I have 9 Great nieces and nephews with 2 more on the way. I'm around a lot and always willing to support and chat or whatever.

and Congrats on 105 MizTerry!!!!
  • alittlebitcrazy123
    Options
    I am a Grandpa. Will be 77 in June (hopefully). I started this program yesterday. It is great! I always knew that weight loss is related to calories in minus calories burned. This site makes it fun and easy to keep track of this process.

In the 1980's I ran several marathons and weighed 165 pounds. Over the years my physical abilities deminished.. I popped an anterior cruciate ligament in my knee. My knees have developed severe arthritis, probably beacuse of all the training I did to run marathons. My feet are in bad shape due to working in the grocery store up until 6 months ago. So my weight has balooned to 210. I am sure I will feel better if I can get 40 pounds off.
  • Angel37615
    Angel37615 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My parents are 66 and 70, started last year on MFP and lost over 40 lbs each! Mom was able to stop taking diabetes meds completely! Good luck, you got this!
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP I will be 42 this may and am a mom of a 20 a 16 and a 3 year old will be a first time grandma in may. I chose to get healthy for my family and for myself as well and even with all the ups and downs this journey has I love it as I hope you will too feel free to add me and anyone else here too. Peace.
  • skoecher45
    skoecher45 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and same to all of you! Just learning about all that is available on this site. I am so excited about the comments I and others have received. This is just awesome and I see I'm going to get the support I really need. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!
  • sauci
    sauci Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm not a grandma but I have been gaining the 2lbs a year! Add me would love the share the experience and support!:smile:
  • skoecher45
    skoecher45 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband of 34 years weighs around 165, says he hasn't gained a pound since high school and I can believe it. He's very supportive of me and has never said an unkind word about my weight gain but I know he's concerned about my health. I suppose I always thought weight gain was a "girl/female" thing but I know my 42 year old son struggles. He's a student counselor at a parochial school in Las Vegas and very active but for some reason he can't keep his weight down to a healthy level.

I'm sharing this because he was the person I picked to team up with on a mission to loose weight. I'll encourage him to check out this site. I wish you the best of luck.
  • garrettsk
    Options
    I am also 63 years old and I am a YaYa (not grandma) to my 2 year old granddaughter. Started MFP and working with a personal trainer 9 months ago. When my trainer asked me why I waited so long to start my honest answer was that i received my first SS check and how could afford it!! However, MFP has helped me learn how and what to eat. I am 23 pounds lighter and only have 40 to go. I feel so much better, stronger, and proud that I an finally doing something good for myself. One of my greatest motivations is that my grandmother lost 60 pounds when she was 65. We can too! Keep up the good work.

Would love the hear from other "grandmas" who are new to the workout world.
  • Llawson47
    Options
    Hi, I'm a 65 y/o grandmother too!! and i just started today. My daughter and son-in-law got me going on this 24 day challenge. I was quite suprised this am, when they told me what this is all about. Good luck on your journey. It sounds great!!!
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Being a grandma is my reward for parenting. I am just trying to figure out MFP although i joined almost two years ago. Although you will see that I have lost a lot of weight, i have been on a plateau for 2 years. Getting active tracking food and exercise I hope to start losing weight again. Nice to see that there is a mature contingent here.
  • grandma111962
    grandma111962 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm a 51yr old grandma, I have gained a good 2 stone (28lbs), in the last 2 months, and if I don't do something pretty soon, I think I will carry on at the same rate until I go pop!

I suspect in my case it's not so much what I eat, more how much and a total lack of calorie burning activity! I have managed to go for a little walk every day this week, and know that I feel better for it, but it's really hard to stay motivated.

I am also on some medication which is apparently well known for weight gain; Quetiapine, Venlafaxine, and Carbamazapine. Not a lot I can do about the meds but I would like to try to improve my lifestyle, and if my mental health improves as a result, that would be brilliant too!

I would like to visit the site for a daily hello so that perhaps I can build up a friendship circle, and share life experiences etc.

If you fancy being my friend, please send a request.

Big hugs xxx
  • Grannybars
    Grannybars Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I'm 62 and also just starting I'm loving this sight all ready, I've been on the 4 hour body diet since last june and have lost two stone , but for many weeks I've not lost any weight so I thought I would check to see how many cal I am eating and found out I have not been eating enough for my weight, so I feel like I'v waisted alot of time, so now I'm eating more and cant wait to see the outcome :wink:
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am also a 63 year old Grandma. My highest weight was 180 and I am now at 143--3 pounds from my goal weight. . MFP is a great tool. Just make a commitment to log in everyday and log your food. I find that I want to exericise just knowing that I can eat a little more food because I exercised. Also getting some friends to motivate you helps keep you on track. I have been on MFP since 2007 but I didn't log regularly the first time. This time I made a commitment to stick with it and it has worked, even though it has been slow. Good Luck. Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I am an Aussie, 62 in November, have been using MFP seriously since Christmas 2011. Not yet a grandma but any time in the next three weeks our first grandchild will be born :-)

Age doesn't stop you losing weight, friend me if you like :smile: I put up my story in the Success stories, if you search 60 yo Aussie it will come up and you can read about my loss, see what I did.