For all you anti-saturated fat people

Options
DatMurse
DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member

Replies

• Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The French one is easy... They enjoy what they eat and take pleasure in it, so they eat SLOWLY so they feel full faster! Thus eating less. So while the food may have more saturated fat (BUTTER!!!, YUM) they don't eat as much. Plus Red wine is high in antioxidents and things that are good for your heart. There are studies that show the benefits for your heart and red sine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think it would be more beneficial to look at the overall diets of people in those various countries rather than just focusing in on one thing like saturated fat.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    The French one is easy... They enjoy what they eat and take pleasure in it, so they eat SLOWLY so they feel full faster! Thus eating less. So while the food may have more saturated fat (BUTTER!!!, YUM) they don't eat as much. Plus Red wine is high in antioxidents and things that are good for your heart. There are studies that show the benefits for your heart and red sine.
    they smoke as well

they also walk more.
    MODERATE drinkers also have a lower risk of heart disease than ALCOHOLICS AND NON DRINKERS

I dont know about eating slow makes you full faster but....
    this is talking about how saturated fat is irrelavant for heart disease, its a multi-factor hit.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I think it would be more beneficial to look at the overall diets of people in those various countries rather than just focusing in on one thing like saturated fat.

the point was talking about the "bad" fat.

first intervention in the medical field now to prevent ppl who are at risk would be increase monosats and increase activity.

isolating it within 1 factor is wrong
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    There is actually more and more research coming to light that saturated fat isn't bad for you. Mono unsaturated fats are still especially good for you and added trans fats are just straight up toxic.

Yay cheese!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Not being involved in the nutrition nor medical fields, I'll make no pronouncements either way.

What I will say, however, is that you have a bunch of undeveloped nations clustered top left, and a bunch of highly developed nations clustered bottom right.

It's hard to dismiss at least the possibility of coincidental correlation.
  • drillfork
    Options
    Not being involved in the nutrition nor medical fields, I'll make no pronouncements either way.

What I will say, however, is that you have a bunch of undeveloped nations clustered top left, and a bunch of highly developed nations clustered bottom right.

It's hard to dismiss at least the possibility of coincidental correlation.
    This is especially true since the chart measures coronary heart deaths, not the mere incidence rates of CHD. It's not particularly surprising that the healthcare systems in Azerbaijan and Moldova are not as good as treating/saving people with CHD from becoming another death statistic as the Western nations are. It doesn't necessarily mean high saturated-fat eaters in the developed nations aren't suffering from CHD or are suffering at lower rates, it just means most of them are not dying from it.

All that said I do tend to agree saturated fat is not as bad as the perceived wisdom for the last few decades. Newer research has shown saturated fat may be neutral when it comes to heart disease, while monounsaturated fats continue to be even healthier. There is research recognising some saturated fats, especially in cocoa, don't raise CHD risk and some reports of positive benefits from full-fat dairy products. The effect of an actual food is always going to be more complicated than the effects of any specific nutrients.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If the people at the top left are eating a relatively impoverished diet compared to the people at the bottom right, they may be low on key nutrients such as magnesium, and otherwise have poor overall health unrelated to their heart disease. We can't really discern anything from this chart.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    There are more things. America does not suffer from low micronutrients. Why does the French have lower risk than us and they have an average cholesterol of 200+.

This shows that saturate is not just a factor
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Must be all the red wine!

I'm French. When I lived there, I ate a lot of meat, cheese, butter (from croissants, pastries etc). Almost never fried food. I'm quite sure most of the green countries don't fry food very much (except maybe the UK, lol).

That might be why.
  • DatMurse
    Options

I'm French. When I lived there, I ate a lot of meat, cheese, butter (from croissants, pastries etc). Almost never fried food. I'm quite sure most of the green countries don't fry food very much (except maybe the UK, lol).

That might be why.

multiple factors.
    alcohol
    antioxidants and reservatrol from red wine
    WALKING
    not eating more than you should
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

That might be why.

multiple factors.
    alcohol
    WALKING

I'm not sure about the walking. I walked much more over there, but I lived in the city. If you live in the middle of nowhere, you got to take your car too.. About not eating more than you should, I guess restaurants have smaller portions, but you don't get to bring leftovers home... Otherwise, it's the same as here really.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Here's an explanation for people that don't know what the French Paradox is.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1768013/
  • DatMurse
    Options

That might be why.

multiple factors.
    alcohol
    WALKING

I'm not sure about the walking. I walked much more over there, but I lived in the city. If you live in the middle of nowhere, you got to take your car too.. About not eating more than you should, I guess restaurants have smaller portions, but you don't get to bring leftovers home... Otherwise, it's the same as here really.

Well thats why it is a multiple factor theory.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I don't practice Paleo but I think Robb Wold's "Paleo Solution" book is really worth a read.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

That might be why.

multiple factors.
    alcohol
    WALKING

Well thats why it is a multiple factor theory.
    lol
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    LOL It's only a paradox if you think sat fat is unhealthy.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    LOL It's only a paradox if you think sat fat is unhealthy.

well thats the whole thing about preventive measures with the american medical system.

it doesnt make sense and doesnt apply to european. so many of the "risks" do not fully apply. due to the lifestyle

its like saying protein is bad for you, and then in small print it says (If you have kidney dysfunction)